Written by Legislator Roger Corbin Friday, 11 December 2009 00:00
Stay Alert While Holiday Shopping
Nassau County Legislator Roger Corbin (D-Westbury) advises residents to protect themselves while holiday shopping keeping in mind to stay alert.
“Holiday shopping should be fun; not a time when you become a victim,” Corbin said. “By following a few simple precautions you can protect yourself from thieves and carjackers.”
Corbin warns residents to follow these safety tips:
• Take only the credit cards that you plan to use while shopping and do not flash large amounts of cash.
• Avoid walking to your car alone; if you are alone, wait for others to walk to the parking lot and walk near them.
• Deter pickpockets and purse snatchers; do not carry too many packages.
• Park in well lit parking lots with security visible.
• Keep the key to your car alarm in your hand as you walk to your car. Activate it if you believe you are being followed or are in danger.
• Have your car keys in hand before you leave the store; do not rummage through pockets or your purse when you reach your car.
• Do not walk to your car while talking on a cell phone or text messaging– being distracted will make it easier for a thief.
• Lock your car immediately after entering and drive away.
• Don’t look down when you are walking. Walk with confidence making eye contact with those you pass. Never look like a victim.
• Place gifts and valuables in the trunk.