Recently, H. Frank Carey High School held its annual senior awards night. Students were honored for their academics, community involvement, and their personal qualities. Remarkably, 73 students received presidential citations for having over a 90 average during their high school career. The event was organized by the guidance department under the direction of guidance chair Danielle Amato.
Among some of the honors are:
• The blood drive scholarship went to Edward Levandoski for his role in organizing and setting up Carey's two blood drives.
• The class of 1969 award for involvement in the class board went to Shannon Langstrand.
• The H. Frank Carey Scholarship Award, sponsored by the H. Frank Carey Faculty & Staff Scholarship Fund went to Annmarie Hordern and Carolyn Birbiglia.
• The Thomas Hetzel Memorial Scholarship went to Michael Multari.
• The Daniel Strong Memorial Scholarship went to Michael Mollish.
• The Paul Britto Memorial Scholarship went to TJ Humrich.
• The Robert Evans Memorial Scholarship was presented by the Evans family to Nicolle Bowman.
• The Kiwanis Club of Franklin Square Award presented by members of the Kiwanis Club went to Danielle Rocchio, Tiffany Salcedo, Sarah Miller and Julia Egorova.
• The Fratellanza Sammarinese of NY Scholarship went to Elena Ferriolo.
• The Republic of San Marino Scholarship Grant went to Catherine DiGiovanni and Michele Aquino.
• The Arthur Markussen Memorial Scholarship went to Erik Schutz.
• The Student Government Service Award went to Giacomo Chilelli and Elena Ferriolo.
• The Stacy Fargnoli Memorial Scholarship went to Alexis Medina.
• The Excellence in Family and Consumer Sciences Award went to Shanna Brown and Jessica Spinelli.
• The Christopher J. McLoughlin Memorial Award went to Christina Vega.
• The American Mathematics Competition and the Outstanding Achievement in Mathletes award went to Andrew Massimino.
• The Excellence in Mathematics Award went to Catherine Chrisafis and Michael Miller.
• The Sewanhaka Central Council of PTAs Humanitarian Scholarship presented by Laura Stein went to Erik Schutz, who raised over $32,000 for a soldier, Rick Yarosh, who was wounded in Iraq in 2006, and his family.