Friday, 03 July 2009 00:00
The Syosset Fire Department is reminding residents that fireworks are illegal to own or use by anyone other than licensed professionals in New York State. The Syosset FD also urges families to learn more about the harm that fireworks can cause – both to people and to property.
“As we celebrate the July 4 holiday, we want all Syosset and Woodbury residents to make sure this weekend is a safe one for their families and friends. Bottle rockets can lead to severe injuries and can cause property damage; sparklers can cause burns and lead to fires, said Chief John Capobianco. “Leave the fireworks to the pros. The safest way to experience fireworks is at a professional public fireworks display. Check the community listings in your local newspaper or online for shows in your area.
The National Fire Protection Association reports thousands of fires are caused by fireworks every year. These fires lead to civilian injuries and in some cases even death. Children and teens are at even greater risk of injury while using fireworks. Millions of dollars worth of property damage can also be reported during these incidents.
Make sure to follow these safety tips:
• Obey and respect any and all public safety barriers set up around the site of a professional fireworks show.
• Resist the temptation to get close to the firing site. Often, the best view of a professional display is from a quarter of a mile or more away.
• Leave your pets at home - the loud noise can scare animals and damage their hearing.
• Do not possess or shoot off fireworks on your own. Besides risking injury to yourself and the crowd watching the demonstration, you will be breaking the law.
• Do not pick up or attempt to re-light used fireworks – they may still be active and cause serious burns or injury.
Visit http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/july4/regs.html for more information on federal and state regulations on fireworks and fireworks safety.