Friday, 03 December 2010 00:00
I am pleased to report that our school year got off to a wonderful start. Our administrators, trustees, faculty and staff remain resolute in our commitment to providing our students with an education that supports them in becoming passionately engaged in a process of growth and improvement. We continue to celebrate the achievements of our students and remain determined in our commitment to supporting each and every child enrolled in the North Shore Schools as they strive towards excellence:
A total of 106 North Shore students were recognized by the College Board as Advanced Placement Scholars, representing 13 percent of our total High School population
• 82 students will be inducted into the 2010-11 National Honor Society
• Five students were named as Commended Students in the 2011 National Merit Scholarship Program
• Three students were named National Merit Semifinalists
• One student was recognized as a 2010-11 Siemens Semifinalist, 1 student was accepted to the Columbia University Science Honors Program, and 1 student was named a Long Island Young Scholar of Mathematics
• Last year, 34 North Shore students received gold medals at the Long Island Math Fair, the most gold medals won by any school district on Long Island
• 38 students were inducted into the 2010-11 Tri-M Music Honor Society
• Three students were chosen to perform at the All State Music Festival (2 were named as alternates)
• Six Fall Athletics Teams made it to the playoffs or post season championships, including t\udent fiscal oversight and proactive planning, they continue to make every effort to control increasing costs. During this difficult budget year, they will continue to strive to take all possible steps to both alleviate the property tax burden of our residents and insure that the community’s investment in our schools is protected.
We will be conducting pre-budget focus groups to provide residents with an opportunity to discuss your thoughts and opinions about the choices we face as a community, prior to developing the 2011-12 budget proposal. Please join us on the following dates:
Tuesday, December 14, 8:00 am, 112 Franklin Avenue, Sea Cliff (Central Office).
Tuesday, December 14, 7:30 pm, High School Library.