Written by Dr. Edward Melnick Friday, 08 October 2010 00:00
I am pleased to welcome you back for the 2010-11 School Year. We remain committed to continuing our practice of reaching out to all constituents in an effort to ensure that our schools are truly inclusive and represent the range of values and beliefs of our community residents. Providing the best possible education at the most reasonable cost is a goal we continue to share.
In addition, we reaffirm our strong commitment to continue evolving as a community of learners in which each participant is supported in becoming passionately engaged in a process of continuous growth and improvement. Consistent with our mission and vision statements, we will continue to develop and support those facets of the North Shore Schools that place an emphasis on learning that is deep and meaningful.
Specific areas of focus identified by the Board of Education for the 2010-11 School Year include:
• A focus on high quality instruction in every classroom
• Review of the evaluation of the Grade 9/10 Social Studies Program with recommendations for the 2011-12 School Year
• Continued review of the Ninth Grade Experience with recommendations for the 2011-12 School Year
• Ongoing development of exit assessments (performance measures) for grades 5, 8 & 12 that demonstrates passionate engagement in a process of continuous growth and improvement, with a plan for full implementation during the 2012-13 School Year
• Development of an action plan for the Arts based upon the evaluation completed during the 2009-10 School Year
• Review and discussion of the results of student performance on standardized exams
As we begin this term, the trustees wish to extend an invitation to all residents to attend board of education meetings and participate in the business of the district. All board meeting dates and agendas are published in the local papers and on the district website at www.northshoreschools.org.