Anton Community Newspapers  •  132 East 2nd Street  •  Mineola, NY 11501  •  Phone: 516-747-8282  •  FAX: 516-742-5867
Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Successful Fundraiser For Sculpture Restoration

On Saturday, Dec. 11, a diverse crowd of community leaders, government officials, artists, preservation and art enthusiasts and residents from Long Island’s North Shore filled North Shore Architectural Stone’s atelier in Glen Head and raised nearly $15,000 towards the restoration of the Roslyn Landmark Society’s Mackay horse sculpture. The immense 25-ton statue stood on the 650-acre estate Harbor Hill, the celebrated but short-lived (ca. 1901-1947) Roslyn home of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Mackay.

Roslyn Landmark Society was charged with the restoration of one of the Mackay horses that until earlier this year had remained in situ on a portion of Harbor Hill, which later became a private residence. Upon completion of the project, which will remedy damage caused by 100 years of severe weather, planning will begin on the restoration of the second horse which now stands in front of Roslyn High School.

“The evening was a great success in that it introduced the sculpture to its audience, for many of whom it had been more a rumor than a reality,” said Franklin Hill Perrell, the Landmark Society’s executive director.  “The community is clearly behind this project, and this event will help us solicit more donors. A few events more, and some business support will get us to our six figure goal. The beauty of North Shore Architectural Stone and the generous support of Co-Owners Hugh and Maggie Tanchuck provided a splendid debut for this fabled horse, and we can’t thank them enough for their help.”

For The Race is On to Restore the Mackay Horses fundraiser, North Shore Architectural Stone transformed their space into an art and sculpture gallery dedicated to the history of the Mackay Statues. In addition to the marble statue on display, the main gallery featured video and pictorial displays, which chronicled the lifespan of the horse sculptures.

Guests were also entertained by a North Shore Architectural Stone craftsman who demonstrated the art of stone carving. And vintage prints of Harbor Hill from the prestigious architectural firm McKim, Mead and White’s seminal monograph were on display.

Rounding out the evening’s entertainment was Kristina Wirkowski (Portledge, Class of ’16) entertained the audience with several classical compositions arranged for violin. Many in the crowd were amazed at her youthfulness and ability to interpret complicated classical pieces with flawless ease and technical precision.

Another gallery space was also created especially for the evening and exhibited equine and landscape artwork from noted artists Virginia Pierrepont, Carol V. Kingston, Paul Crifo, Jerelyn Hanrahan, sculptor Tom Malloy and photographer Elizabeth Roosevelt.

Hugh Tanchuck, co-owner of North Shore Architectural Stone said, “While the cemetery and monument business helped form who we are at our core, creating this new showroom has allowed us to celebrate life and express our creativity in a whole new way. As the showroom space has evolved, we are very grateful to have received the backing of the local community who have seen the value in having a space to celebrate and support the arts, charitable events and historic preservation & restoration.”

Portions of all art sales were donated to the Fundraiser. Bazzini Wine of Locust Valley donated a variety of fine wines and prosecco, while guests enjoyed appetizers from Bistro M. of Glen Head.