The frostbite season is officially over. Their very recognizable burgee with the white polar bear on a light blue background has been retired to storage to await another year. To signal the end of the season, skippers, crew, family and friends gathered at Manhasset Bay YC for the Frostbite Awards dinner on Friday, May 9. John Silbersack, Fleet Captain, greeted everyone and made a few comments before dinner. He mentioned that "this was a tough year for qualification since we got so many races in, particularly in the Spring - with at least one day with ten races." Some statistics: In the IC dinghy fleet: 83 races were sailed during the season, 17 skippers sailed, and there were a total of 507 races sailed by 17 skippers. In the Ideal 18 fleet, 68 races were sailed overall, 11 skippers sailed and 261 races were sailed by 11 skippers.
Some of the IC Dinghy skippers raced in regattas outside our bay. Pedro Lorson, Mimi Berry, Paul Jon Patin and Donna Marie Cipollone sailed in the Frostbite Midwinters in Annapolis and came in 3rd. Pedro Lorson, Fee Mitropoulos, Paul Jon Patin and John Silbersack sailed in the Stanley Bell Regatta at Larchmont YC. Pedro Lorson, Fee Mitropoulos, Paul Jon Patin, John Silversack and Ted Toombs raced at the Interclub Nationals and Pedro Lorson came in 5th place. Of the ten sailors to qualify for the Wharf Rat Trophy (which is awarded to the sailor with the highest weighted percentage point in three or more Interclub Regatta, including the Nationals), four were from Manhasset Bay YC: Pedro Lorson, Paul Jon Patin, Fee Mitropoulos, and John Silbersack.
Many thanks were given to John Barry, Winter Race Committee Chair, and to Race Committee: Peter Bergen, Bill Brakman, Charles Comer, Jean Miller, Sue Miller, Steve Moore, Ralf Steitz, Paul Starch, Rita Syracuse, and Vince Syracuse. Scoring was done by the collective efforts of Claude Chozotte, Rita and Vince Syracuse and Pedro Lorson.
The awards for the season: IC Dinghy Fleet: Winter Series 1. Kevin Morgan and Donna Cipollone, 2. Paul Jon Patin and Felicity Ryan; and 3. Fee Mitropoulos and Sophia Mitropoulos. Winners in the Championship Season: First in Championship Season, 2 Fall Season, 3 Winter Season: Pedro Lorson and Johanna Silbersack; 2nd in Championship Season, 3 Fall and 1 Spring: Matt Kelley and Mary Endsey. Third in Championship Season, 2 spring: Ted Toombs and Jenny McCarthy. Donna Marie Cipollone was the Crew Championship.
Winners in the Ideal 18 Fleet: Series: 2
Series: First Spring, Winter, and Fall Series: Bob Kirtland and Alan Thompson; 2 in Fall: Ryan Christie and Michael Silverman, 2 in Winter: Vince Syracuse and Steve Moore, and 2 in Spring Series: Michael Silverman and Ryan Christie. Results for the Championship Series: 1. Bob Kirtland and Alan Thompson, 2. Bob Schwartz and Tom Powers. Crew Championship went to Steve Moore.
The Brakman-Schwartz Award for the Ideal Frostbite Championship was shown for the first time and was awarded to Bob Kirtland. The Howard Seymour Award for dedication, enthusiasm, and support of Frostbiting was awarded to Ted Toombs.
In other news: the International Yacht Racing School (IRYS), Newport, RI along with the Museum of Yachting (MOY) will host events that celebrate maritime history and craftsmanship this Saturday, May 31. This will launch a summer of coordinating events at the two organizations. IYRS has restored some of our local Manhasset Bay One Design (MBODs) and returned most of them to our bay. These beautiful boats were the first design of Olin Stephens, when he was a draftsman for what was to become the venerable design firm of Sparkman and Stephens. Olin was just 19 years old when he designed this popular boat for Long Island Sound Juniors over at Larchmont YC.
On the morning of the 31, IYRS will celebrate graduation day by launching a fleet of wooden classics restored by students; graduates include students of IYRS' Boat Building & Restoration Program, as well as the first class to graduate from the school's new Marine Systems Program. In the afternoon, the festivities move across the harbor to opening day at the museum, when the public gets its first glimpse at new exhibitions that will run throughout the summer. Both events are free and open to the public.
"This is what we promised to the community: education and celebration on a bigger scale by bringing the school and museum together as a single operating entity," said Terry Nathan, president of IYRS and the MOY, commenting on the convergence of the two organizations. "A summer of coordinating museum exhibitions with restoration and boat building projects gives local residents and visitors a more in-depth and richer view of our maritime heritage."
The launching of the fleet takes place at 11:30 a.m. at the school docks. First-year students will launch a fleet of 12-foot Beetle Cats(r). Second-year students restored the 1924 6-Meter Madcap (hull #12); an 11-foot Bulldog sailboat, whose design dates to 1935; and a replica of a 15-foot Whitehall tender.
Opening day at The Museum of Yachting debuts three new exhibits that span the one hundred-year period from 1883 to 1983. The school and the museum have coordinated these displays with boat building and restoration projects, so visitors can see projects under way and learn about the history of the watercraft and the individuals who designed them and sailed onboard in displays of historic photos, artifacts, and film footage.
The summer '08 exhibits include "Sparkman & Stephens: Evolution by Design," which explores the breakthrough thinking and boats that put this legendary yacht design firm on the map. The exhibition is coupled with the building of a replica S&S-designed 6-Meter, Cherokee. At IYRS, shipwrights will restore the 133-foot 1885 schooner yacht Coronet while the museum hosts an exhibit on "The Grand Voyages of Arthur Curtiss James." James (1867-1941), one of America's wealthiest men who maintained a home in Newport, owned Coronet for five years and cruised worldwide onboard the schooner yacht and his series of Aloha yachts. A third exhibit focuses on the "America's Cup, The Newport Years" and covers Cup history from 1930 to 1983. Opening day at the museum runs until 6 p.m. For more information, visit www.iyrs.org or call 401-848-5777.