News Sports Opinion Obituaries Contents

The Board of Education of the Port Washington Union Free School District has changed the process of voter registration for the annual budget vote and board member election on May 16. The information below informs the public of how the process will work.

Can I vote on May 16?

To vote, you must be a citizen of the United States, 18 years of age or older, a resident of the school district for at least 30 days before the vote and be a registered voter.

Do I have to register to vote on May 16?

Individuals who have not previously voted or who have not voted in either a general election or a school board election within the last four years need to register.

What if I'm not sure if I'm registered or if I meet the criteria to register?

You can call 767-5010. The school district has information provided by the Board of Elections in Mineola as well as our own voter records for the last four years and will be able to confirm your status.

Can I register in Port Washington?

Personal registration will be held at the Administration Building, 100 Campus Drive, on Saturday May 6 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. and Tuesday May 9 from 3 p.m.-7:30 p.m.

What if those times are not convenient?

You can register at the Board of Elections at 400 County Seat Drive in Mineola 11501. The phone number there is 571-2411.

Is there any other way to register?

You can use your own computer or one at the public library to register. Go to the website, and print out the registration form. This form must be mailed to the Board of Elections at 400 County Seat Drive in Mineola 11501 and received two weeks before the date of our local election, May 16.

What do I need to bring to register?

Please bring a photo identification or an acceptable alternative. A New York State driver's license is ideal.

What about absentee voting?

This process has not changed. If you are unavoidably absent from your county on Election Day or unable to appear at the polls due to illness or disability, you may apply for an absentee ballot application. These forms are available in the Administration Building at 100 Campus Drive. Upon completion, applications must be mailed to the Administration Building at 100 Campus Drive so that the actual ballot can be mailed to the absentee voter to complete. The application must be returned to the district clerk at least seven days before the election if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter, or not later than the day before the election if the ballot is to be issued to the voter in person.

Why are we making these changes?

Personal registration is the common practice in most localities. It helps avoid confusion during local elections and ensures more accurate record keeping.

Can I both register and vote on May 16?

No. No one can register to vote and cast a ballot on the same day. However, you may register on May 16 to vote in the following year.

Please call the school district at 767-5010. They will make every effort to provide you with complete and accurate information. Logo
An Official Newspaper of the
LongIsland.Com Internet Community

| home | Email the Port Washington News|
Copyright ©2006 Anton Community Newspapers, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

LinkExchange Member

Farmingdale Observer Floral Park Dispatch Garden City Life Glen Cove Record Pilot Great Neck Record Hicksville Illustrated News Levittown Tribune Manhasset Press Massapequan Observer Mineola American New Hyde Park Illustrated News Oyster Bay Enterprise Pilot Plainview Herald Port Washington News Roslyn News Syosset Jericho Tribune Three Village Times Westbury Times Boulevard Magazine Features Calendar Search Add An Event Classified Contacting Anton News