William Paul Wagner, MD, 79, of Port Washington, died on July 18, 2004. Dr. Wagner was a internist and cardiologist. A graduate of Columbia University, he received his degree in medicine from NY Medical College. He maintained a private practice in Port Washington for 50 years. During his distinguished career he was the Director of Ambulatory and Medical Services at Queens Hospital Center, was on staff at North Shore Hospital, LIJ Hospital and St. Francis Hospital (since 1957). While at St. Francis Hospital, he was in charge of the Rheumatic Fever Program and was named Head of Staff in 1968. He was a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, a Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine and a member of the American Society of Internal Medicine. Dr. Wagner co-authored several articles in the American Medical Association publications on pacemaker control of the heart and he assisted in the design of some of the first instruments to be used in electronic heart monitoring.
He served in the Army during WWII. Dr. Wagner collected antique radios, clocks and guns and was an avid fisherman and ham radio operator. He is survived by his wife Elaine; his children, Elizabeth and Beau (Deborah); his stepchildren, Andrea Fooks, Leslie Heelan and Russell Scott; one grandchild; and seven step-grandchildren. He is also survived by his sister Delphine Knight. Arrangements were made by the Austin F. Knowles Funeral Home, Port Washington.
John Stokvis, 88, of Sands Point, died on July 21, 2004. He was born in The Hague, Netherlands to Hugo and Alice Stokvis and was educated at Bilton College, Stowe School and Cambridge University (UK). He began his business career working for R.S. Stokvis & Zoene, Rotterdam, a worldwide Dutch trading, distribution and manufacturing company, in the company's Paris office. Subsequently he worked for Grenby Engineering, Plainville, CT, and Whitehall Distrib., importers of British motorcycles in the late 1940s and early 1950s. In 1951, he founded Stokvis Multiton Corp. initially as importers of European machine tools, evolving into the materials handling equipment industry with a product range of heavy load moving equipment, and manually and electric powered lift trucks produced in the US in partnership with MIC of France and Jungheinrich of Germany, world leaders in these products. The company originally started in New York City, but moved to Port Washington in 1954 with factories on Secatoag Ave. in Manorhaven and Channel Dr. in Port Washington North. Stokvis Multiton Corp. moved to Hicksville in 1977 and had plants on West John St. and Alpha Plaza. The company was a longtime member and supporter of several Long Island business organizations.
John was the beloved husband for over 60 years of Ivette; father to Jack of Haworth, NH, and Robert of Manhasset; father-in-law of Anne and Evelyn; grandfather of Jeffrey, Mark, John, Michael and William.