I'm writing to express my deep dismay at the plans to raise the mercury level deemed acceptable to be emitted into the atmosphere.
Mercury is released from power plants, thermostats, lamp switches in some lamps, ignition switches, photo chemicals, thermometers, and until recently, dental fillings.
Products containing such things ought to be labeled so consumers can make educated purchases and plant emissions reduced. Numerous health problems are associated with mercury. Reduction, phasing out of usage, disposal, and recycling of this hazardous material as well as numerous other toxins should be of paramount importance for the health of the general public and our nation's young. It's a terrible thing to see articles like Paul Perillo's in The Long Island Press of a few weeks ago stating that mercury level emissions are to be raised. Educating the public of the need to reduce consumption is an important step. I hope this letter will prompt some readers to look into the topic themselves and make educated decisions.