News Sports Opinion Obituaries Contents

In one of the lowest scoring lacrosse games in recent memory, Port and Long Beach slugged it out, up and down the field, but when it was all over Port was on the winning end of a 4-2 victory. Port's offensive dominance was limited to approximately 44 seconds but it was an incredible 44 seconds.

After a sloppy first quarter Port trailed 1-0 after Long Beach scored on a man-up situation. In the second quarter as the action went from end to end, the Viking defense led by Scott Schnipper, Vince Zorskas and Tommy Maher played hard and frustrated the Marine attack as it did all afternoon. When they did finally get a shot off, goalie Mike Ferrari stepped up and made some impressive saves.

For close to two periods the Port offense worked the ball around the perimeter but was unable to put one in. With time running out it looked as if Long Beach would take their 1-0 lead into the half. But Port set it up one more time, working it around and with 44 seconds left, Mike Cosolito fed Doug Lutin who ripped one from high in the box to put Port on the board. The fans were glad to see the score tied with time running out but the Vikings weren't through.

They controlled the next face-off and Cosolito ran the ball in and flicked it toward the goal just in time for Pat Mulqueen to deflect it in to give Port a 2-1 lead. Incredible! But the Vikings weren't finished. Long Beach was called for an illegal procedure on the next face-off and Port took the ball at midfield. Once again Cosolito ran it up the middle and this time found Lutin who fired it in with nine seconds left to give Port a 3-1 halftime lead. In less than a minute Port went from trailing to in control.

In the third period neither team was able to score as the action went up and down the field. Much of the battle was waged between the restraining lines and Port middies Sean Kehlenbeck, Danny Maher, Peyton Mait, Jeremy Francis and John Oliva saw a lot of action, riding Long Beach's offense, fighting for loose balls and creating opportunities for the Port attack.

Scott Udell, who had stepped into goal in the second half, did his part in keeping the Marines off of the scoreboard and preserving what was the first scoreless lacrosse quarter in quite some time.

In the fourth quarter Port continued to keep the pressure on, working the ball around Long Beach's end. Mulqueen served a perfect pass to Lutin who scored his third goal of the game to give Port a 4-1 lead. Later, the Marines scored after a miscue in Port's end but Port's defense and middies turned away Marine scoring hopes and gave the ball to the Viking attack, which continued to keep the pressure on. The final horn sounded and Port, thanks to its 44 seconds of brilliance, held on to win 4-2.

The team, which was treated to a tailgate party, courtesy of the Bayview Deli, showed its appreciation by consuming 24 feet of heroes in 7 minutes 24 seconds - a county record.

Next up for the Vikings is a scrimmage against a tough Hicksville team and a conference game against state champs Wantagh at The Pit on Saturday, April 13. Logo
An Official Newspaper of the
LongIsland.Com Internet Community

| home | Email the Port Washington News|
Copyright ©2002 Anton Community Newspapers, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

LinkExchange Member

Farmingdale Observer Floral Park Dispatch Garden City Life Glen Cove Record Pilot Great Neck Record Hicksville Illustrated News Levittown Tribune Manhasset Press Massapequan Observer Mineola American New Hyde Park Illustrated News Oyster Bay Enterprise Pilot Plainview Herald Port Washington News Roslyn News Syosset Jericho Tribune Three Village Times Westbury Times Boulevard Magazine Features Calendar Search Add An Event Classified Contacting Anton News