The 12th annual Pride in Port event is this Saturday, Oct. 7. This community-wide event offers something for everyone from the kids to our senior citizens. The homecoming football game is just part of the day's festivities. A parade down Main Street in which many local organizations and our school children march, is a centerpiece of the day also. Pride in Port Week ends with the annual Blue and White Dance which takes place this year on Saturday, Oct. 14.
Pride in Port 2000 co-chairs (l. to r.) Barbara Faticone, Police Commissioner Jim Duncan and Amy Rubinstein invite everyone who loves Port Washington to come to all of the festivities planned on Saturday, Oct. 7, and to the PIP dance on Saturday, Oct. 14. You won't be disappointed!
Don't miss all of the hometown warmth generated by Pride in Port!
Following is a schedule of events for PIP 2000.
* 12 noon-Pride in Port Parade with this year's Grand Marshal----the Port Washington Fire Department starts at the Landmark on Main Street and ends at Schreiber High School. See the marching bands, school floats, Pride in Port Essay Contest winners, the 2000 Athletic Hall of Fame Inductees and many other local groups.
* 1 p.m.- Senior Citizen Luncheon. Schreiber High School, student cafeteria. Our seniors will be celebrating Pride in Port with entertainment by The Dance Machine.
* 2 p.m. Homecoming Football Game- (Pregame ceremonies 1:45 p.m.) Vikings vs. Carey H.S. Half-time ceremonies- 2000 Hall of Fame Inductees, Introduction of Royal Court. National Anthem sung by Stephanie Borris.
* 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Field Day Events at the Schreiber H.S. Baseball Field. From 1 p.m... to 3 p.m., there will be a DJ, treasure hunt, castle bounce, refreshments, pumpkin painting, sand bracelets, animal spin art and rock climbing. From 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., there will be picture IDs, fingerprinting by the Port Police Dept. and State Farm Insurance, Boodles the Clown from England (for 6 yrs. and under). (Sponsored by Jimmy's Shoes and Zooport)
* 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. High School Homecoming Dance at Schreiber High School's student cafeteria.
Oct. 14 at 8 p.m. Blue and White PIP Dance. The adult community dance is held at the Polish American Hall. Live music will be provided by Juke Box Saturday Nite. The evening features "Great Tastes of Port," which are samplings of delicious cuisine from many of the more than 100 "great purveyors of food" that offer the people from Port many wonderful dining experiences daily. Tickets are $20 each. Buy your tickets before Oct. 12. No tickets will be sold at the door. Call Debbie or Bill Solomon at All Port Travel Ltd. at 883-0200.
Look for information on the Port Washington District website: www.portnet.k12.ny.us
See you at the Parade!