Farmingdale Observer Floral Park Dispatch Garden City Life Glen Cove Record Pilot Great Neck Record Hicksville Illustrated News Levittown Tribune Manhasset Press Massapequan Observer Mineola American New Hyde Park Illustrated News Oyster Bay Enterprise Pilot Plainview Herald Port Washington News Roslyn News Syosset Jericho Tribune Three Village Times Westbury Times Boulevard Magazine Features Calendar Search Add An Event Classified Contacting Anton News Logo An Official Newspaper of the
LongIsland.Com Internet Community

News Sports Opinion Obituaries Contents

The Vikings Boys Soccer team easily put down East Meadow in their quarter-final game but it was high anxiety time in their semi-finals against the Farmingdale Dalers.

The Boys Varsity Soccer team started their post-season last Tuesday with a quarter-final game at home against East Meadow. Port was confident going into the game, and their confidence was well justified. The Vikings dominated East Meadow throughout the game and eventually defeated them 4-0.

The game started off with an early goal by senior, Joel Kornblau who headed the ball just past opposing goalie. The Vikings kept the pressure on East Meadow until there was 1:10 left in the half, then Viking Junior Stephen Orloff headed a corner kick from senior co-captain Zach Lehman into the net.

Port was leading 2-0 going into the second half. The Vikings were dominating the last half of the game and with 15:40 left, Orloff kicked a long shot from about middle which bounced past East Meadow's goalie. Nine minutes later, junior co-captain, Nat Francis, scored a beautiful goal when brought the ball up field, faked out the goalie and scored. This was Port's final goal of the game. The remaining time was a test of the defense, the heart of which was junior goalie Alvaro Orellana, who captured the shutout for the Vikings. This win gave Port a 12-1-12 record and advanced them to the semifinals.

The boys, now one game away from the finals, played their next game under the lights at Garden City against the Farmingdale Dalers. This game was a real nail-biter. It was played on an exceptionally cold night and brought out the most noisy die-hard soccer fans and a group of very involved players' parents.

Though Port played a strong first half, the score at the end of the half was a 0--0 tie. The Vikings really turned up the intensity for the second half and totally dominated Farmingdale. Many good shots were taken on goal but, Dalers goalie Tom Cunningham was able to stop all of them. Again the second half ended in a 0-0 tie.

When a post-season game ends in a tie after 80 minutes of regulation play, the teams play two ten-minute overtime periods followed by two five-minute periods, all of which are sudden-death. If there is no score after this time, then the game goes into a shoot-out, and this is exactly what happened during this game. Though Port dominated the overtimes, the teams still remained scoreless. Francis was actually able to put one in the net off a corner kick from Lehman with less than a minute remaining in the last overtime, but this goal was disallowed because a handball was called. Port fans who were already at the edge of their seats, voiced strong disapproval of the call.

After 110 minutes of scoreless play, the shoot-out began. Each team had to take five shots, each by a different player. Farmingdale was first to shoot and they were able to put their first shot low past Viking goalie Alvaro Orellana. Port's first shot was taken by senior co-captain Zach Lehman who took a high shot which beat the Dalers' goalie. Now we were at a 1-1 tie. Farmingdale's next shot was saved by Orellana. Port's next shot was a goal by junior Evan Knight. Farmingdale's next shot just went wide and hit the post. This was followed up by another Port goal by Orloff. The Dalers' fourth shot was just out of Orellana's reach. It was now Francis' turn to shoot, his shot went just a little too high over the net. Each team now had one shot left and Farmingdale was down by one. The Dalers' fifth shot was a goal which tied the shoot-out at 3. Port could win the game on their next shot and the responsibility fell on the shoulders of senior co-captain Jose Serrano. Serrano's shot beat the Dalers' goalie low to the corner of the net. The team was so ecstatic about their victory that they all ran over to the crowd to receive congratulations from the many enthusiastic Port fans.

This win advances the Vikings to the class "A" finals which will be played on Monday the 12th at the Adelphi against Syosset. The whole team as well as coach Roger Winter are confident about their upcoming game and hope to be the county champions.

| home | Email the Port Washington News |
Copyright ©1998 Anton Community Newspapers, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
LinkExchange Member