Friday, 22 January 2010 00:00
The heartbreaking news of the catastrophic earthquake that hit the small island nation of Haiti on Jan. 12 has caught the attention of people the world over. The great melting pot that is New York has a large Haitian community and many of our neighbors are suffering in heart and soul along with their friends and relatives on the devastated island. Many people with no personal connection other than a concern for their fellow man are looking to aid the victims of this enormous natural disaster.
The Red Cross has announced that monetary donations are what is most immediately needed. I would ask all who would like to help to contact one of the following organizations, which are established and responsible, to make a donation:
• The American Red Cross: From a cell phone, text the word HAITI to the address 90999 to make a $10 donation or call 1-800-REDCROSS (733-2767)
• Doctors Without Borders: http://doctors withoutborders.org
• The Clinton Foundation: http://www. clintonfoundation.org/haitiearthquake
• MercyCorps: https://donate.mercy corps.org
• UNICEF: http://www.unicefusa.org
Thank you all in advance for your generosity.
New York State Assemblyman
Charles D. Lavine