Anton Community Newspapers  •  132 East 2nd Street  •  Mineola, NY 11501  •  Phone: 516-747-8282  •  FAX: 516-742-5867
Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Obituary - Joan W. Ruff

Joan W. Ruff of East Norwich, died at the age of 82 on November 20, 2012. She was born and raised in Bayside, NY. 

She was the secretary of her senior class at Bayside High School. She graduated in three years.

In her 20s she worked for NY Telephone as an executive. She also represented the company at the introduction to the iconic Princess phone as the original “princess.”

She and her late husband John Ruff Jr. lived for 50 years on Locust Avenue in East Norwich. They enjoyed a great relationship with their neighbors and the resident peacock, “Beauty” who lived in the Muttontown Preserve.

She carried on with the business her husband started, Oakland Supply Company, after his death. Although in her earlier years she flew a plane and logged many hours, she never drove a car. 

Joan was a former superintendent of the Sunday School at Wesley United Methodist Church and a volunteer tour guide and naturalist at the Muttontown Preserve. 

A girl scout herself, Ms. Ruff was a Girl Scout troop leader for many years. Her Brownie certificate is dated February 1940 and her Girl Scout card from Troop Number 4-28 is dated December, 1940.

Most recently, she was a resident at Oyster Bay Manor, Oyster Bay. She is survived by her daughter Janet, and her husband John Barone and their daughters Lauren and Suzanne. She will be fondly remembered by all those people whose lives she touched.

Visitation was at the M. A. Connell Funeral Home Inc., Huntington Station, on Sunday, Nov. 18. Interment was at the Brookville Cemetery, Brookville.

Donations in her memory can be made to: The Arthritis Foundation / Programs; 501 Walt Whitman Rd. Melville, New York 11747.

News

If you missed the 6th annual champagne party at Coe Hall in Planting Fields, put it on your calendar for next year, because this is the party of the summer. A total of 175 guests attended, and many of them were in costume, a new addition to the popular champagne party. The always ebullient Henry Joyce, executive director of Planting Fields Foundation, greeted his guests with his date Daphne, a 3-month-old long haired Dachshund, who is a companion for his Great Dane, Lucy.

The 1907 Courthouse building is now known as the Marguerite and Joseph Suozzi Building, marked by a special ceremony held at the North Shore Historical Museum on Sunday, Aug. 3 to a packed house.

“It’s a great day for the Suozzi family and a great day for the museum. We are so grateful for the Suozzi family for this generous donation,” said Brian Mercadante, president of the museum.

Mercandante then gave some history on the building, which was built in 1907 by the Town of Oyster Bay, when Teddy Roosevelt was president and the Gold Coast was in its heyday. He described how it came to be a museum, explaining that Tom Suozzi came up with a plan for redevelopment during his term as mayor of Glen Cove in the 1990s.


Sports

Kevin Mercier, 39, of Oyster Bay, led a large contingent of local runners in the Lynne, Gartner, Dunne & Covello Sands Point Sprint 5 Kilometer Run, held on the grounds of Nassau County’s Sands Point Preserve on Saturday morning, Aug. 9. Mercier was the 18th finisher overall and third in the 35-39 age group with a time of  21 minutes, 7 seconds.

Other local runners winning awards at the Sands Point Preserve were Nicholas Cuddy of Oyster Bay, who earned first place honors in the Clydesdale Weight Division with a time of 25:53, Joanne Gallo of Oyster Bay, who  took home the first place award in the women’s 65-69 age group with a time of 28:11, and Anja Hermann of Oyster Bay, third place woman in the 20-24 age group, who finished in 28:47.

Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Park in Oyster Bay will once again be the site of the Long Island’s premiere multisport event – the 27th annual Runner’s Edge - Town of Oyster Bay Triathlon on Saturday, Aug. 23, and the Runner’s Edge – Town of Oyster Bay Junior Triathlon for youngsters ages 8-13 on Sunday, Aug. 24.

The Saturday main event is a “sprint” triathlon, which consists of a half-mile swim in Oyster Bay harbor, a one loop 15 kilometer bike ride over hill and dale through beautiful Oyster Bay, Oyster Bay Cove and Laurel Hollow, and a 5 kilometer run through Mill Neck and Brookville, “up” to Planting Fields Arboretum and “down”to the finish at back at  Roosevelt  Park.


Calendar

Bayville Car Show

Friday, Aug. 22

Junior Triathlon

Sunday, Aug. 24

Historic Church Service And Tour

Sunday, Aug. 24



Columns

1959: The Year The Music Stopped Playing
Written by Michael A. Miller, mmillercolumn@gmail.com

The Eccentric Heiress Of ‘Empty Mansions’
Written by Mike Barry, MFBarry@optonline.net

Yellow Margarine And A Pitch For The Ages
Written by Michael A. Miller, mmillercolumn@gmail.com