Nassau County Police Commissioner Lawrence W. Mulvey has announced that the Police Department's Marine Bureau will be conducting free New York State certified Boating Safety Courses for residents of Nassau County. The 8-hour courses will be scheduled on two consecutive 4-hour sessions
Courses are available:
• Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 21 and 22 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Saturday and Sunday, March 7 and 8 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Saturday and Sunday, March 21 and 22 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Saturday and Sunday, April 18 and 19 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Courses will be held at the Nassau County Police Academy, located at 200 Second Ave. in Massapequa Park. In order to obtain a safety certificate, registrants must attend both 4-hour sessions.
The boating safety course is designed as a comprehensive boating course teaching the fundamentals of safe boating operation approved by the National Association of Boating Law Administrators. The 8-hour classroom instruction will include the following topics:
• Accidents and Emergencies
• Boat Operation
• Boating Related Activities
• Boats and Motors
• Fueling and Ventilation
• Marine Environment
• Numbering and Registration
• Personal Watercraft
• Rules of the Road
• Safe Loading and Powering
You must hold a safety certificate if:
• You operate a personal watercraft and are at least 14 years of age. You wish to operate a motorboat (including personal watercraft) and you are at least 10 years old and less than 18 years old.
• If you are at least 10 years old, you may operate a motorboat (non personal watercraft) only if someone over 18 or someone between the ages of 10 and 18 who hold a safety certificate, is on board with you. Anyone may operate a personal watercraft if someone at least 18 years old is riding on the craft and they hold a safety certificate.
There is no fee for this course. Registration is limited to 30 individuals each session. To register, you must call The Nassau County Police Department Marine Bureau at 516-573-4450 during normal business hours.
Additional details on this course and other boating information is available on the NCPD Marine Bureau website www.//ncpdmarinebureau.com