Night Hearing June 24 for Townhouses
Two things came out of the discussion on the Island Properties townhouses proposed for 286 South Street: there will be an evening meeting on June 24 at 7 p.m. and the town will consider doing a generic (cumulative) environmental impact study of the proposed Island Properties plans. Those items were brought up at the June 10, at 10 a.m. hearing before the Oyster Bay Town Board. Island Properties asked for a special use permit meant to (1) revoke the existing plans for an Assisted Living Facility for 112 units on the former Hallock Chevrolet dealership in the hamlet and to (2) give an approval for 33 townhouses on the site, which needs a SUP to create residential housing in a commercial zone.
Fine Tuning Muttontown Boards
The June meeting of the Village of Muttontown Board took less than an hour to complete, but it was an indication of the work the trustees have been doing to make government run smoothly for residents. They are establishing regular monthly meeting dates for their boards to make scheduling easier for residents, board members, the village attorney and others who need to attend. The Planning Board will meet on the fourth Tuesday of the month; the Zoning Board of Appeals will meet on the first Monday of the month, July 1 is their next meeting; the Site Architectural Review Board (SARB) met this month on Wednesday, June 11, the first Wednesday of the month.
Bay Day Proved It's Fun to be All Wet!
Bay Day, June 7, was fantastic and lived up to all its expectations, including the all important financial ones, said Rob Crafa, the WaterFront Center executive director. "It was especially successful since this year's slogan was, 'Don't just participate in Bay Day, GET WET!," he added.
Heard on the Bay
We had high hopes for the weekend. After another rainy Friday, we were hoping for a nice warm, sunny, breezy Saturday and Sunday. Imagine a nice weekend after all of this foul weather we'd been having? Saturday, when we checked the weather, the forecast was for a severe thunderstorm in the late afternoon or early evening. We planned our escape and were hoping to sail to Northport before the pending storm. We were on our way just before noon. Once we were out, it was a toss-up on whether to motor out to the Sound and sail the rest of the way to Northport, or to get some sailing in early in the day and then be prepared to head back to the mooring if the weather changed. We decided to take advantage of the slight breeze and sail while it was still nice out and hoped for the best.
Don't Kill the Golden Goose