Thursday, 06 February 2014 00:00
The Mineola School District will host a Jazz Night, on Wednesday, Feb. 5 at 7 p.m., in the Mineola High School Auditorium. Admission is free. Performers include the Mineola Middle School jazz band and the Mineola High School Big Band and jazz ensemble. Brian Lewis, owner of Lewis Music Store on Jericho Turnpike, is bringing his 12 piece professional New Vintage Orchestra to perform as a special guest artist.
The Mineola High School District Council of PTAs will meet on Thursday, Feb. 6 at 7: 30 p.m. at Mineola High School.
The Mineola Mustangs’ junior varsity and varsity wrestling squad will face South Side High School on Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 5 p.m. in Mineola High School.
The Mineola Mustangs’ girls junior varsity squad will travel to Cold Spring Harbor on Friday, Feb. 7 at 6 p.m. The varsity squad will battle Cold Spring Harbor at 8 p.m.
The Mustangs’ junior varsity boys team will play at 4:30 p.m. The Mustangs’ boys varsity team will host Cold Spring Harbor at Mineola High School at 6:15 p.m.
The Little Mermaid will play at Mineola Middle School on Friday, Feb. 7 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 8 at 2 and 7:30 p.m. in the middle school auditorium.
The Mineola Middle School PTA will hold a meeting in the middle school music room on Monday, Feb. 10 at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola High School PTSA will meet on Tuesday, Feb. 11 at 7:30 p.m. in the Mineola High School Library.
The Meadow Drive School PTA is offering Mad Science of Long Island, an after school enrichment program, on Tuesdays, Feb. 11, 25; March 4 and 11 from 2:55 to 3:55 p.m. for K-2 students. Space is limited to 20 children and is available on a first come, first serve basis. For more information, cal 516-620-6768. To register, go to madscienceli.org
The Mineola School District will host String Night on Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School.
The American Legion Auxiliary Post 144 will host Grocery Bingo on Sunday, Feb. 23, from 2 to 5 p.m. at 730 Willis Ave. in Williston Park. An $8 donation gets you to one bingo board, one set of specials, coffee and cake. Raffle prizes also available. The building is wheelchair accessible. For additional information, please contact Ellen Randle at 516-270-3876.
The Mineola High School class of 1964 is holding its 50th reunion on Sept. 13, 2014 at the Marriott Hotel in Melville. Contact Marilyn Vokoun at 631-277-6353 for more info.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 Of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
• Relapse Prevention Support Groups are held by the LI Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence on Tuesdays from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in its Williston Park Office, 207 Hillside Ave. Groups are facilitated by professional staff trained to help you or a loved one successfully transition from inpatient treatment back home or into a sober living environment. Aftercare and support following substance abuse treatment is an essential part of maintaining sobriety and creating a strong foundation for recovery. Call Jeffrey L. Reynolds 747-2606, ext. 12 or Steve Chassman, ext. 17.
• Gam-Anon Support Group holds an anonymous meeting for spouses, adult children over 18, family and friends of those whose lives have been affected by a gambling problem. Held on Thursdays at Temple Emanuel, Hillside Ave., New Hyde Park at 8 p.m. For more information call the 24-hour hotline: 631-321-2883.
• LI Chess Nuts meets at 38 Old Country Rd., Garden City, Thursdays from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. for K to thirdrd grade; and Fridays from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. for fourth grade and up. Optional lessons for beginners and advanced players available at 4 and 5:30 p.m. For more information call Margarita Lanides at 739-3907.
• Bingo games every Friday at 7:15 p.m. at Knights of Columbus Hall, 83 Sea Cliff Ave., Glen Cove. $1,500 in cash prizes. Door prizes and Progressive on last game. Smoke-free environment. Call 676-1828 for further info.
• Bingo every Friday. Games begin at 7:30 p.m. at St. Brigid/Our Lady of Hope Regional School, 101 Maple Ave., Westbury. Two Share the Wealth Games are offered, a $500 and a $1000 Jackpot as well as Progressive Bingo. Other weekly events include Bell Jars and 50/50 Raffles. Food and drinks are available in the kitchen. Call 334-0021, ext. 145.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.