Written by Rich Forestano Friday, 07 March 2014 00:00
After two denials by John and Theresa Muzio, the Village of East Williston finally inspected 8 Sumter Ave. recently, officials confirmed. The property has been the subject of controversy and public criticism, resulting in numerous hearings and court proceedings.
The village tried to inspect the house on Jan. 14 and 31. The Muzios thwarted their entry each time, calling the police.
“They’re persecuting me,” Muzio said. “They’re harassing me and they destroyed my house. My house froze up since it’s had no heat since 2009. They need a court order before [demolishing the house].”
The Muzios were present at the recent inspection, village officials said. East Williston will go before a judge to review the results of the house walk-through this week.
If the ruling leans in East Williston’s favor, they can schedule a demolition date. The Muzios would have 30 days to remove any personal property from the Sumter Avenue home.
“We did successfully inspect,” East Williston Deputy Mayor Bonnie Parente said. “There was nothing surprising that came out of the inspection. The plan is to hopefully move forward with the demolition of the house.”
The village had been granted demolition rights by a February 2012 court order, and the plan was approved by the village board in October last year, when it accepted a $28,500 bid from East Williston-based J. Galvin Construction. A survey was required prior to demolition.
In a court order in January, Nassau County Supreme Court Judge James McCormack approved the Village of East Williston sending J. Galvin to inspect the property, which permitted the village to repair or demolish the structure after an inspection.
After numerous hearings, which included a subdivision denial by the village’s planning board of a plan by Mineola-based BNL Construction to build two houses on the property last September, Parente acknowledged the long road East Williston has taken to get to this point.
“I feel that it’s taken too long to get to where we are now but I think we’re in the right direction and that we should be able to wrap this up,” Parente said.
Saturday, 20 September 2014 00:00
Senator Jack Martins discussed education, business and drug use among other topics in a an exclusive interview with this newspaper and FiOS 1 News. He’s currently seeking re-election in November, being challenged by Democrat Adam Haber. Pointing to what he called “key legislation,” particularly the tax cap legislation passed in 2011 and prescription drug bill he helped shepherd to enactment, Martins feels New York State is on track to continue fiscal responsibility.
“In these last four years, we’ve had four balanced budgets, we’ve cut taxes working together, we have paid off debt, streamlined government, kept spending below 2 percent each one of those years,” Martins said.
Friday, 19 September 2014 00:00
A contingent of 80 Mineola runners embarked on their first trek to lower Manhattan last year for the Tunnel To Towers 5K Run through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel toward the World Trade Center site. This year, the United Mavericks, a networking group of local business people that support local charities and causes, are gearing up surpass that number.
Mavericks reps say they’re half way to gathering 1,000 people to run in the event’s 13th year on Saturday, Sept. 28.
The run honors a fireman Stephen Siller, who was enjoying a day off planning to play golf before he learned the Twin Towers were hit by two airplanes during the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. He was one of the 343 firefighters who died when the towers collapsed.
Thursday, 18 September 2014 00:00
Though it had already hosted the series of lacrosse games during the regular season this past spring, Chaminade High School’s new Gold Star Stadium was officially christened on Saturday, Sept. 6, named in honor of the 56 alumni who had perished during combat.
“Tradition holds that when one dies in the service a gold star is given to the family,” said Chaminade President Bro. Thomas Cleary. “Our 56 Gold Star Alumni are honored for their selflessness, courage, and integrity.”
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Although the expectations for the 2014 Mineola Mustangs boy’s varsity soccer season may be somewhat measured, the team enters the season with the goal of a berth in the Nassau County playoffs. The team is young and inexperienced but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There is considerable talent on the horizon. There are only four starting seniors and five sophomores on the roster. Four year starting senior forward Daniel Pardo returns (19 goals in three seasons) as does senior standout goalkeeper Andrew Pereira.