Thursday, 03 July 2014 00:00
Village Meeting - July 2
Fourth Of July Parade - July 4
Steak Night - July 8
The Village of Mineola will hold a work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola Leisure Club is seeking new members. Seniors over 60 can call Leslie Kerzner at 516-741-8747 or Mike Coniglio at 516-747-2058. The club meets on Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. from September to June.
The Williston Park Fire Department will hold its annual Independence Day Parade at 9:30 a.m. The parade will begin at Lehigh and Broad Streets in the village and proceed through the neighborhood. The parade route concludes in front of fire headquarters.
Happy Fourth of July!
Let Jacqui Palatnik teach you the basics of this rummy-like card game and join in the fun from 1:30 to 3 p.m. at the Mineola Library at 195 Marcellus Rd.
Eleanor Rigby’s at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola, will hold Unlimited Sliced Steak Night.
Trained teens will teach adults how to use their own pre-charged laptops, e-readers, iPads, tablets, smartphones, digital cameras, and any other devices at the Mineola Library at 195 Marcells Rd. from noon to 1 p.m. Must indicate needs upon registration (including preferred language).
The Mineola 8U Hurricanes will hold a fundraiser from 3 to 11 p.m. at the Stumbled Inn at 279 Hillside Ave. in Williston Park.
Green Meadows Farm will hold an event at 10:30 a.m. in the assembly room of Williston Park Village Hall at 494 Willis Ave.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Ave., Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings are every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. The group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
•The Mineola Bike Club holds weekly rides, beginning at Mineola Bicycle Fitness & Mower at 475 Jericho Tpke. and start at 8 a.m. There are six levels of riding ability based on the pace. They meets every
Saturday and Sunday for club rides.
The MBC Ride Bulletin will be posted on Facebook and our website weekly and will include all ride details.
Most rides will be posted on the Mineola Bike Club FaceBook Page.
•American Legion Post #349 meets on the first Monday of each month(except holiday weekends) at 7:30 p.m. at the Community Center in the Mineola Village Hall, Washington Ave. Call 747-4791 or 747-5901 for more information
•AARP #1868 Williston Park area meets on the first Monday of the month at 1:30 p.m. at the American Legion Post No. 144 Hall at 730 Willis Avenue in Williston Park Coffee and cake following meeting. New members welcome. Call 742-0465 for more information.
•Look Good...Feel Better sponsored by LIJ Medical Center in association with the National Cosmetology Association, the Toiletry Fragrance Association and the American Cancer Society. The program reaches out to women with cancer and teaches them how to best apply makeup and wear their hair while undergoing cancer treatment. Meets on thesecond Monday of every month at LIJ Medical Center, 27005 76th Ave., New Hyde Park. Reservations suggested,but not required. Call Harriet Pine or Selma Robinton 718-470-7094. All women who attend receive a make-up kit filled with brand-name cosmetics valued at over $200
Thursday, 27 November 2014 00:00
Audience members were treated to an evening of incredible singing by 10 extremely talented Wheatley students during the Tri-M Music Honor Society’s Wheatley Idol X on Friday, Nov. 7, in the packed Wheatley auditorium.
Nada Al-Okla, sang “Titanium” by David Guetta, Michaela Balboni sang “Safe and Sound” by Capital Cities, Alex Boubour sang “Love Song” by The Cure, Melanie Esquilin sang “At Last” by Etta James, Tessa Karikas sang “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus, Ben Lee sang “Sunday Morning” by Maroon 5, Lauren Levine sang “Drops of Jupiter” by Train, Ally Levy sang “A
Drop in the Ocean” by Ron Pope, Juliana Luber sang “Reflection” by Alan Menken and Morgan Misk sang “Valerie” by Amy Winehouse.
Wednesday, 26 November 2014 00:00
Thanksgiving is a holiday, a festival, celebration and food fest. Tradition says the first Thanksgiving feast was celebrated by pilgrims and Native Americans back in 1621 to give thanks for their harvest after a harsh winter. Over a century later, George Washington, the nation’s first president, issued a Thanksgiving proclamation in 1789.
Fast forward to 21st century—the modern day Thanksgiving has come a long way since then. What has not changed however is the shared elaborate meal consumed with family and friends in the same spirit of celebration and giving thanks for the blessings.
Thursday, 27 November 2014 00:00
Mineola High School student Mary Elizabeth Smith signed her letter of intent to attend Stetson University in the fall. She is receiving a partial athletic scholarship and will be a member of the Stetson Rowing team.
Smith is an accomplished rower who has trained locally and competed nationally. She began her rowing career as a 10th grader and ranks 53 in her rowing classification.
Thursday, 27 November 2014 00:00
In their semifinals home playoff game, the 9-year-old Mineola Chiefs (7-2) shut out perennial power Seaford Broncos 21-0.
The Chiefs defense, the strength of the team, was lights out, making gang tackles all over the field. The defensive line of Charlie Villa, Luigi Kaloudis, Michael Nygaard, Luke Ruiz, John Jochym, Zachary Bohringer, Johnny Kessler, Zakria Zulfiqar and Jack McCormack kept the pressure on Seaford’s offense all game long. The Linebackers John Viggiani and Nick Rios attacked the runners and finished off the Broncos.