Thursday, 03 July 2014 00:00
Village Meeting - July 2
Fourth Of July Parade - July 4
Steak Night - July 8
The Village of Mineola will hold a work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola Leisure Club is seeking new members. Seniors over 60 can call Leslie Kerzner at 516-741-8747 or Mike Coniglio at 516-747-2058. The club meets on Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. from September to June.
The Williston Park Fire Department will hold its annual Independence Day Parade at 9:30 a.m. The parade will begin at Lehigh and Broad Streets in the village and proceed through the neighborhood. The parade route concludes in front of fire headquarters.
Happy Fourth of July!
Let Jacqui Palatnik teach you the basics of this rummy-like card game and join in the fun from 1:30 to 3 p.m. at the Mineola Library at 195 Marcellus Rd.
Eleanor Rigby’s at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola, will hold Unlimited Sliced Steak Night.
Trained teens will teach adults how to use their own pre-charged laptops, e-readers, iPads, tablets, smartphones, digital cameras, and any other devices at the Mineola Library at 195 Marcells Rd. from noon to 1 p.m. Must indicate needs upon registration (including preferred language).
The Mineola 8U Hurricanes will hold a fundraiser from 3 to 11 p.m. at the Stumbled Inn at 279 Hillside Ave. in Williston Park.
Green Meadows Farm will hold an event at 10:30 a.m. in the assembly room of Williston Park Village Hall at 494 Willis Ave.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Ave., Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings are every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. The group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
•The Mineola Bike Club holds weekly rides, beginning at Mineola Bicycle Fitness & Mower at 475 Jericho Tpke. and start at 8 a.m. There are six levels of riding ability based on the pace. They meets every
Saturday and Sunday for club rides.
The MBC Ride Bulletin will be posted on Facebook and our website weekly and will include all ride details.
Most rides will be posted on the Mineola Bike Club FaceBook Page.
•American Legion Post #349 meets on the first Monday of each month(except holiday weekends) at 7:30 p.m. at the Community Center in the Mineola Village Hall, Washington Ave. Call 747-4791 or 747-5901 for more information
•AARP #1868 Williston Park area meets on the first Monday of the month at 1:30 p.m. at the American Legion Post No. 144 Hall at 730 Willis Avenue in Williston Park Coffee and cake following meeting. New members welcome. Call 742-0465 for more information.
•Look Good...Feel Better sponsored by LIJ Medical Center in association with the National Cosmetology Association, the Toiletry Fragrance Association and the American Cancer Society. The program reaches out to women with cancer and teaches them how to best apply makeup and wear their hair while undergoing cancer treatment. Meets on thesecond Monday of every month at LIJ Medical Center, 27005 76th Ave., New Hyde Park. Reservations suggested,but not required. Call Harriet Pine or Selma Robinton 718-470-7094. All women who attend receive a make-up kit filled with brand-name cosmetics valued at over $200
Saturday, 19 July 2014 00:00
In recognition of the superior care her daughter Marjorie Levine of Albertson, received, the late Elsie Levine, formerly of Great Neck, has bequeathed $100,000 to Life’s WORC. The recently deceased
Levine was an ardent advocate for those suffering from developmental disabilities. According to her daughter Cathy Levine, Elsie Levine turned her grief and pain into action and this gift demonstrates the gratitude and peace of mind Life’s WORC provided for her entire family.
“My mother had overwhelmingly positive feelings about the care my sister received through Life’s WORC,” added Cathy Levine. “Life’s WORC represented the dawn of giving those with special needs a life and an opportunity to reach their potential.”
Friday, 18 July 2014 00:00
A potential Long Island Rail Road strike due to a contract disagreement between its union and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority could leave many commuters stranded at the Mineola Train Station next week.
“I think it’s unfair to a lot of people,” said Bryan Jean-Pierre of Westbury as he waited for his train in Mineola.
Jean-Pierre, a restaurant manager in New York City, said the strike would be a strain for him. He plans to carpool if the strike occurs.
Thursday, 17 July 2014 00:00
Mineola Hurricanes lost a battle of the bats on Sunday, June 29, at St. Joseph’s Field in Kings Park, falling short in a 9-8 ball game against the St. Joseph’s Saints in the first game of a doubleheader.
The top of the first saw the Hurricanes take an early 2-0 lead. The runs came home for the Hurricanes when T.J. McManus scored on an error and Connor Eakin scored on a fielder’s choice. The Saints never surrendered the lead after the first inning, scoring five runs on two errors and an RBI single by Jonathan.
Thursday, 17 July 2014 00:00
The Mineola 12U intramural team opened its summer season against the East Williston Wildcats at the Willis Avenue field complex in Mineola on Monday, July 7.
East Williston jumped out to an early 3-0 lead due to some Mineola miscues and timely hitting. Mineola starting pitcher Kenny Solosky was strong, allowing only two hits, four strikeouts and one walk.
Mineola began their push back when Zach Buongiovanni crushed a solo home run onto the railroad tracks, just missing a passing train.
Solosky, Jordan Sandler (game winning walk-off single), Phil LaPierre, Kieran O’Gara, Patrick Solosky, Zach Buongiovanni (2 RBIs) and Vin Othman all contributed an RBI in a balanced hitting attack.
Andrew Geagher made a nice defensive play in the shortstop hole at short throwing out the runner by a step. Matt Pardo also made a nice grab off the centerfield wall holding the East Williston player to a double.