Thursday, 26 June 2014 00:00
Eleanor Rigby Anniversary - June 25
Comedy Night - June 27
Mineola Graduation - June 28
Eleanor Rigby’s at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola will celebrate its 20th anniversary with select menu deals and specialty items. For more information, call 516-739-6622.
The Willets Road School will hold its moving up ceremony at 9:15 a.m. at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights
The Village of Mineola’s board of zoning appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
Mineola Middle School will hold its moving up ceremony at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Turnpike will hold Comedy Night at 7 p.m., featuring Richie Byrne from Dr. Oz, and local comedians Harry Zapiti and Jack Fontana. It’s $49.95 per person, which includes a dinner, soft drinks and coffee/tea. A cash bar will be available.
For reservations, call 516-294-4620.
Eleanor Rigby’s at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola, will host The December Cold at 9 p.m.
Mineola High School will hold its graduation ceremony at 10 a.m. in Tilles Center at 720 Northern Blvd. in Greenvale.
The Mineola School Board will hold its reorganization meeting in the second floor staff lounge of the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola at 7 p.m.
The Village of Mineola will hold a work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings are every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. The group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
•The Mineola Bike Club holds weekly rides, beginning at Mineola Bicycle Fitness & Mower at 475 Jericho Tpke. and start at 8 a.m. There are six levels of riding ability based on the pace. They meets every Saturday and Sunday for club rides.
The MBC Ride Bulletin will be posted on Facebook and our website weekly and will include all ride details.
Most rides will be posted on the Mineola Bike Club FaceBook Page.
Wednesday, 20 August 2014 00:00
The nine-story apartment building at 250 Old Country Road is rising on schedule, according to developers. Lake Success-based Lalezarian Developers is constructing a nine-story, 315-unit complex at the site.
Kevin Lalezarian estimated the project is about 20 percent complete.
“Our foundation is nearly complete,” Lalezarian said. “Our superstructure is proceeding. That’s the main thing happening right now.”
Saturday, 16 August 2014 00:00
The Mineola Fire Department is looking to replace its Company Two engine, Truck 168. The truck is 25 years old, consisting of an articulating boom and bucket.
A new truck would cost upwards of $1 million, fire reps said.
“The current truck has served the village well for many years, but is in need of replacement,” Chief of Department Jeff Clark said.
Thursday, 14 August 2014 00:00
The Mineola Hurricanes recently swept the Smithtown Bulls recently pounded the Smithtown Bulls in two games, winning 9-1and 6-1 at Brady Field in Smithtown. In game one, Chris Marotta brought the heat against the Bulls.
Smithtown managed just one hit off of Marotta, who allowed no earned runs, walked two and struck out eight during his five innings of work. The Bulls jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning.
Thursday, 14 August 2014 00:00
Had college lacrosse burst onto the scene one generation earlier, one local resident would have become a household name within the inner circles. Settling for three National Championships and a professional contract, however, is not a bad consolation prize.
Alex Rosier can now add one more accomplishment to the resume, nearly 20 years after his college career ended.