Thursday, 19 June 2014 00:00
Recognition Dinner - June 18
Senior Brunch - June 19
Coffee With The Principal - June 19
The Village of Mineola will hold a public hearing at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m. A work session will follow if needed.
The East Williston School District will hold its Recognition of Excellence Dinner at the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury from 6:30 p.m. to midnight.
The Wheatley School will hold its senior brunch at 8 a.m. at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Hampton Street School will hold its annual all-day Field Day and BBQ event.
The North Side School will hold coffee with the principal at 9:30 a.m. at 110 East Williston Ave. in East Williston.
The Mineola School Board will meet at 4 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge of the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola to discuss goal settings for the next school year. The regular meeting will start at 7 p.m.
The East Williston Zoning Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place in East Williston.
Eleanor Rigby’s at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola, will host The Generators at 9 p.m.
The Wheatley School will hold its commencement ceremonies at 10 a.m. in the Tilles Center in 720 Northern Blvd. in Greenvale.
The North Side School will hold its moving up ceremony in the Willets Road School auditorium at 9:45 a.m. at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights.
Eleanor Rigby’s at at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola will celebrate its 20th anniversary with select menu deals and specialty items. For more information, call 516-739-6622.
The Village of Mineola’s board of zoning appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Turnpike will hold Comedy Night at 7 p.m., featuring Richie Byrne from Dr. Oz, local comedian Harry Zapiti and Jack Fontana. It’s $49.95 per person, which includes a dinner, soft drinks and coffee/tea. A cash bar will be available. For reservations, call 516-294-4620.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
Saturday, 23 August 2014 00:00
A few months ago, while returning to my car after attending a wake, I was surprised to catch a glimpse of something that immediately brought me back to my elementary school days. Directly in front of me stood a portion of the original concrete wall that had surrounded my alma mater.
In 1922, Corpus Christi Church purchased the Robert Graves estate on Searing Avenue and transformed its building into a parish school. It was a beautiful structure of Spanish-style architecture surrounded by the concrete wall, sporting huge ornate iron gates.
Friday, 22 August 2014 00:00
Village of East Williston Mayor David Tanner last week stood fast against paying an “excessive” water bill from neighboring village and supplier Williston Park, following a loss in a second round of legal battles.
Tanner said Williston Park sent East Williston a bill for $600,000 last week based on water rate increases East Williston refused to pay while pursuing two lawsuits that contested the rate hikes.
Williston Park is seeking $300,000 in interest and penalties following a recent state Appellate Court decision upholding the second of two water rate increases imposed on East Williston. Tanner said East
Williston will only pay approximately $250,000 of the $300,000 Williston Park seeking to recover in unpaid fees based on the two increases.
Thursday, 21 August 2014 00:00
Mineola runners PJ Diskin, Kaitlin Phelps, and Yuri Karasz were award winners in the Lynn, Gartner, Dunne & Covello Sands Point Sprint 5 Kilometer Run, held on the grounds of Nassau County’s Sands Point Preserve on Saturday morning, Aug. 9.
Thursday, 21 August 2014 00:00
The Mineola 9U Hurricanes recently completed its summer baseball season as the NJBL 9U Central Division Champions, finishing 10-2-1 on the year and secured a second place spot entering the playoffs.
The Hurricanes beat the North Shore Spartans for the fourth time this season in a playoff win in walk-off fashion as they came from behind to win 4-3 earning the Hurricanes a berth into the championship series.