Thursday, 19 June 2014 00:00
Recognition Dinner - June 18
Senior Brunch - June 19
Coffee With The Principal - June 19
The Village of Mineola will hold a public hearing at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m. A work session will follow if needed.
The East Williston School District will hold its Recognition of Excellence Dinner at the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury from 6:30 p.m. to midnight.
The Wheatley School will hold its senior brunch at 8 a.m. at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Hampton Street School will hold its annual all-day Field Day and BBQ event.
The North Side School will hold coffee with the principal at 9:30 a.m. at 110 East Williston Ave. in East Williston.
The Mineola School Board will meet at 4 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge of the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola to discuss goal settings for the next school year. The regular meeting will start at 7 p.m.
The East Williston Zoning Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place in East Williston.
Eleanor Rigby’s at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola, will host The Generators at 9 p.m.
The Wheatley School will hold its commencement ceremonies at 10 a.m. in the Tilles Center in 720 Northern Blvd. in Greenvale.
The North Side School will hold its moving up ceremony in the Willets Road School auditorium at 9:45 a.m. at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights.
Eleanor Rigby’s at at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola will celebrate its 20th anniversary with select menu deals and specialty items. For more information, call 516-739-6622.
The Village of Mineola’s board of zoning appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Turnpike will hold Comedy Night at 7 p.m., featuring Richie Byrne from Dr. Oz, local comedian Harry Zapiti and Jack Fontana. It’s $49.95 per person, which includes a dinner, soft drinks and coffee/tea. A cash bar will be available. For reservations, call 516-294-4620.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
Friday, 21 November 2014 00:00
The Wheatley School recently hosted an Item Writing Workshop for more than 100 language teachers representing districts across New York State. The workshop was sponsored by the Foreign Language Association of Chairpersons and Supervisors (FLACS), the professional organization that has assumed responsibility for the creation and administration of the FLACS
Checkpoint A and B Exams (formerly the NYS Second Language Proficiency and Regents Exams).
Thursday, 20 November 2014 00:00
Last year, the Mineola Fire Department initiated an Adopt-A-Hydrant program to offer residents and businesses an opportunity to enhance their fire protection by providing a simple service to the village, caring for a fire hydrant. The MFD is looking for adopters once again.
Thursday, 20 November 2014 00:00
After consecutive seasons of finishing runner-up in the men’s golf Player of the Year for the Skyline Conference, Christian Bleck of St. Joseph’s took home first place in a rather unlikely turn of events.
After a herniated disc caused the Chaminade High School alum to miss every event after the first week of the season until the conference tournament, Bleck returned—without even having the luxury of practicing a full 18 holes—and competed with the best players the conference has to offer.
Thursday, 06 November 2014 00:00
The Mineola Mustang boys cross-country team won the division 4A championship recently at Bethpage State Park. This is the first championship for the program since 1974, ending a 40-year championship drought.
Mineola defeated Seaford, who also entered the undefeated in division competition, 38-20. Overcoming rain and high winds throughout the race, many Mustangs ran personal records for the 5K in route to the victory.