Thursday, 19 June 2014 00:00
Recognition Dinner - June 18
Senior Brunch - June 19
Coffee With The Principal - June 19
The Village of Mineola will hold a public hearing at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m. A work session will follow if needed.
The East Williston School District will hold its Recognition of Excellence Dinner at the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury from 6:30 p.m. to midnight.
The Wheatley School will hold its senior brunch at 8 a.m. at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Hampton Street School will hold its annual all-day Field Day and BBQ event.
The North Side School will hold coffee with the principal at 9:30 a.m. at 110 East Williston Ave. in East Williston.
The Mineola School Board will meet at 4 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge of the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola to discuss goal settings for the next school year. The regular meeting will start at 7 p.m.
The East Williston Zoning Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place in East Williston.
Eleanor Rigby’s at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola, will host The Generators at 9 p.m.
The Wheatley School will hold its commencement ceremonies at 10 a.m. in the Tilles Center in 720 Northern Blvd. in Greenvale.
The North Side School will hold its moving up ceremony in the Willets Road School auditorium at 9:45 a.m. at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights.
Eleanor Rigby’s at at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola will celebrate its 20th anniversary with select menu deals and specialty items. For more information, call 516-739-6622.
The Village of Mineola’s board of zoning appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Turnpike will hold Comedy Night at 7 p.m., featuring Richie Byrne from Dr. Oz, local comedian Harry Zapiti and Jack Fontana. It’s $49.95 per person, which includes a dinner, soft drinks and coffee/tea. A cash bar will be available. For reservations, call 516-294-4620.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
Friday, 25 July 2014 00:00
Only once a year a 25-foot movie screen sits in the middle of Wilson Park in Mineola, ready to entertain residents. This year’s Movie Night in the Park feature The LEGO Movie, sponsored by the Village of Mineola and Mineola Chamber of Commerce on Friday, July 18.
The event, which was free of charge to all of the moviegoers, was meant to help promote local Mineola businesses, according to president of the Mineola Chamber of Commerce Bill Greene.
“Small businesses are the backbone of the American industry, and we feel that this is a great way of giving back to the community with hopes that they’ll remember to shop locally,” said Greene.
Thursday, 24 July 2014 00:00
Mineola resident Frank Zuniga and his wife, Charlotte, were heartbroken. It was bad enough that they had to take Mollie, their rescued beagle/terrier mix to the veterinarian on July 4, but it wasn’t until last week that they found out what happened to her until last week.
It started on Independence Day when Mollie, who the Zunigas adopted in February, started vomiting. Their regular vet was closed for the holiday, and the couple found that the Veterinary Referral and Emergency Center of Westbury would see them.
Thursday, 24 July 2014 00:00
Runners from all over Long Island came to run at the fourth annual Katie Oppo Memorial 5K on Sunday, June 15. The runner first across the finish line was Mineola resident Michael Mariotti, general manager, owner and host of the famous local restaurant Cafe Continental in Manhasset.
The day was glorious as the runners and walkers began their trek through Flower Hill from the starting line at Flower Hill Park. Organizers of this year’s event made the race a USATF Certified 5K race, timed by Long Island Race Timing.
Thursday, 17 July 2014 00:00
Mineola Hurricanes lost a battle of the bats on Sunday, June 29, at St. Joseph’s Field in Kings Park, falling short in a 9-8 ball game against the St. Joseph’s Saints in the first game of a doubleheader.
The top of the first saw the Hurricanes take an early 2-0 lead. The runs came home for the Hurricanes when T.J. McManus scored on an error and Connor Eakin scored on a fielder’s choice. The Saints never surrendered the lead after the first inning, scoring five runs on two errors and an RBI single by Jonathan.