Thursday, 19 June 2014 00:00
Recognition Dinner - June 18
Senior Brunch - June 19
Coffee With The Principal - June 19
The Village of Mineola will hold a public hearing at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m. A work session will follow if needed.
The East Williston School District will hold its Recognition of Excellence Dinner at the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury from 6:30 p.m. to midnight.
The Wheatley School will hold its senior brunch at 8 a.m. at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Hampton Street School will hold its annual all-day Field Day and BBQ event.
The North Side School will hold coffee with the principal at 9:30 a.m. at 110 East Williston Ave. in East Williston.
The Mineola School Board will meet at 4 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge of the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola to discuss goal settings for the next school year. The regular meeting will start at 7 p.m.
The East Williston Zoning Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place in East Williston.
Eleanor Rigby’s at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola, will host The Generators at 9 p.m.
The Wheatley School will hold its commencement ceremonies at 10 a.m. in the Tilles Center in 720 Northern Blvd. in Greenvale.
The North Side School will hold its moving up ceremony in the Willets Road School auditorium at 9:45 a.m. at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights.
Eleanor Rigby’s at at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola will celebrate its 20th anniversary with select menu deals and specialty items. For more information, call 516-739-6622.
The Village of Mineola’s board of zoning appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Turnpike will hold Comedy Night at 7 p.m., featuring Richie Byrne from Dr. Oz, local comedian Harry Zapiti and Jack Fontana. It’s $49.95 per person, which includes a dinner, soft drinks and coffee/tea. A cash bar will be available. For reservations, call 516-294-4620.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
Saturday, 20 September 2014 00:00
Senator Jack Martins discussed education, business and drug use among other topics in a an exclusive interview with this newspaper and FiOS 1 News. He’s currently seeking re-election in November, being challenged by Democrat Adam Haber. Pointing to what he called “key legislation,” particularly the tax cap legislation passed in 2011 and prescription drug bill he helped shepherd to enactment, Martins feels New York State is on track to continue fiscal responsibility.
“In these last four years, we’ve had four balanced budgets, we’ve cut taxes working together, we have paid off debt, streamlined government, kept spending below 2 percent each one of those years,” Martins said.
Friday, 19 September 2014 00:00
A contingent of 80 Mineola runners embarked on their first trek to lower Manhattan last year for the Tunnel To Towers 5K Run through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel toward the World Trade Center site. This year, the United Mavericks, a networking group of local business people that support local charities and causes, are gearing up surpass that number.
Mavericks reps say they’re half way to gathering 1,000 people to run in the event’s 13th year on Saturday, Sept. 28.
The run honors a fireman Stephen Siller, who was enjoying a day off planning to play golf before he learned the Twin Towers were hit by two airplanes during the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. He was one of the 343 firefighters who died when the towers collapsed.
Thursday, 18 September 2014 00:00
Though it had already hosted the series of lacrosse games during the regular season this past spring, Chaminade High School’s new Gold Star Stadium was officially christened on Saturday, Sept. 6, named in honor of the 56 alumni who had perished during combat.
“Tradition holds that when one dies in the service a gold star is given to the family,” said Chaminade President Bro. Thomas Cleary. “Our 56 Gold Star Alumni are honored for their selflessness, courage, and integrity.”
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Although the expectations for the 2014 Mineola Mustangs boy’s varsity soccer season may be somewhat measured, the team enters the season with the goal of a berth in the Nassau County playoffs. The team is young and inexperienced but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There is considerable talent on the horizon. There are only four starting seniors and five sophomores on the roster. Four year starting senior forward Daniel Pardo returns (19 goals in three seasons) as does senior standout goalkeeper Andrew Pereira.