Thursday, 12 June 2014 00:00
Village Meeting - June 11
Flag Day - June 12
Jazz Festival - June 17
Mineola High School will host its senior awards breakfast at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park at 8 a.m.
The East Williston School District will hold its senior project fair in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The East Williston School District will hold its sixth and seventh grade spring concert at 7 p.m. in the Willets Road School at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights.
The Village of Mineola will hold a public hearing at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A work session will follow at 7:30 p.m.
The North Hempstead Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 10 a.m. in Town Hall at 220 Plandome Rd. in Manhasset.
The Mineola Republican Club will hold its Flag Day Cocktail Party at Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Tpke. from 7 to 9 p.m. It will honor State Senator Jack Martins, restaurant owner Tony Lubrano and pay tribute to John DaVanzo.
The Hampton Street School will hold a staff appreciation luncheon at 10 Hampton St. in Mineola to commemorate the end of the school year.
Mineola Middle School will hold Color Night at 200 Emory Rd. in Mineola.
Enjoy Tom Juliano on saxophone from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Tpke.
Eleanor Rigby’s at 133 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola, will host the band Second Chance, at 9 p.m.
Regents and final exams begin for high school students. Good luck.
The East Williston School Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. for a retiree reception in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury. The regular meeting will begin at 8 p.m.
The Mineola School District will hold its PTA installation dinner at 7 p.m. in the Irish American Center at 297 Willis Ave.
The Wheatley and Willets Road Schools will hold all-day jazz festivals to commemorate the end of the school year.
The Mineola School Board will meet at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge of the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston Zoning Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place in East Williston.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys ages 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings are every Monday at
the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. The group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
Saturday, 13 September 2014 00:00
A bunch of fruit in a bowl may not be that exciting to look at, that is unless you’re looking at them from Nancy Colleary’s point of view. Through her still life paintings, the she explores shadows, colors and light to make the most ordinary objects appear beautiful.
From her in-home studio, she continues to hold classes and work on her own projects, which includes paintings that are on display at Walk Street in Garden City and Chef’s Corner in Mineola.
Friday, 12 September 2014 00:00
Former Nassau County Comptroller Howard Weitzman is set for a new job, as a financial consultant to the Town of North Hempstead. Weitzman, who served as Nassau County comptroller for two terms from 2001 to 2008, told the Anton Newspapers that he will concentrate on preparing the town’s 2015 budget.
Weitzman’s contract will then be retroactive to Aug. 26 after its town boad approval. The draft of the budget is due by Sept. 28.
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Although the expectations for the 2014 Mineola Mustangs boy’s varsity soccer season may be somewhat measured, the team enters the season with the goal of a berth in the Nassau County playoffs. The team is young and inexperienced but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There is considerable talent on the horizon. There are only four starting seniors and five sophomores on the roster. Four year starting senior forward Daniel Pardo returns (19 goals in three seasons) as does senior standout goalkeeper Andrew Pereira.
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Mineola resident Michael Patalano of Andrews Road was named one two captains on the Kellenberg Memorial High School varsity football team recently. He played for the Mineola Chiefs for five years, which prepared him for football at the next level. He has three younger sisters. Two of them play sports for the Mineola Mustangs.