Thursday, 24 April 2014 00:00
Cabaret Night - April 25
Buffet Dinner - April 25
Baseball Fundraiser - April 29
The Village of Mineola will hold a work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs girls varsity lacrosse team will face Jericho High School at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge at the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold a zoning meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District will hold a Student Art Show at 6 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The East Williston School District will hold a Big Band Night at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola School District will hold Cabaret Night at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The Catholic Daughters of America and Corpus Christi-Court Immaculata No. 144 will host a buffet dinner and auction at 7 p.m. at Corpus Christi Church at 155 Garfield Ave. in Mineola. Tickets are $23, which includes a dinner, egg roll, dessert, tea, coffee, soda and 15 free raffle tickets. For more information, call Mary at 516-294-9729.
The Mineola Mustangs boys varsity lacrosse team will face Cold Spring Harbor at 7 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs varsity baseball team will face the Port Washington Vikings at 4 p.m. at Guggenheim Elementary School.
The Mineola Mustangs varsity softball team will host the Floral Park Knights at 10 a.m.
The East Williston/Roslyn Coalition Committee will meet at 10:30 a.m. in the Willets Road School at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights
The East Williston School Board will meet at 8 p.m. in the auditorium of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
MAA’s 11U Hurricanes Travel Baseball Team will be holding a McDonald’s Night fundraiser from 5 to 8 p.m. in McDonalds at 60 E. Jericho Tpke.
Mineola School Common Core math assessments in grades 3-8.
A “Choices and Consequences” seminar will be held at Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park at 7 p.m.
The East Williston School District audit committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
• Gam-Anon Support Group holds an anonymous meeting for spouses affected by a gambling problem. Held on Thursdays at Temple Emanuel, Hillside Ave., New Hyde Park at 8 p.m. For more information call the 24-hour hotline: 631-321-2883.
Wednesday, 03 September 2014 00:00
Mineola Street Fair coordinators are canvassing the downtown area to enlist local businesses for the fourth annual Mineola Chamber of Commerce-sponsored event on Saturday, Sept. 14 at noon, with an Oct. 5 rain date. Opening ceremonies begin at 1 p.m.
“We’ve been walking the streets trying to get more businesses involved,” Chamber vice president and Piccola Bussola owner Tony Lubrano said. “It’s the same struggle every year but at the end, it all comes together.”
Friday, 29 August 2014 00:00
In a typical Long Island community packed with houses and backyards, there are a couple of acres of open land of community gardens where people are growing basil and dahlias and roses and cabbages—people like Terry Dunckey of Westbury and Peg Woerner of Great Neck, tending their small plots and helping to promote sustainable and organic practices.
East Meadow Farm, off Merrick Avenue, is owned by Nassau County and operated by Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE) of Nassau County. Previously it was a family-owned farm that was purchased by the county through the Environment Bond Act Program, a $150 million program that called for, among several mandates, the preservation of 400 acres of open space. In 2009, CCE of Nassau was awarded the lease to the land and in January 2012 took possession of the property. East Meadow Farm is a place where we can get the best advice on how to make our gardens grow without harming the earth. Part of the CCE’s original proposal was the establishment of a farmer’s market and, now, the market is open two days a week, a place to purchase organic vegetables and flowers during the growing season.
Thursday, 28 August 2014 00:00
Nobody wants to make excuses, but sometimes when the injury bug hits, it’s impossible to overcome. Mineola Mustangs football head coach Dan Guido, entering his 28th season at helm, knows the injuries were the cause for their first-round defeat at the hands of the West Hempstead Rams last November.
“There was too many injuries on the offensive line last season,” said Guido. “It was supposed to be our strength and it ended up being a weak link by the end of the season.”
Even with those injuries, the Mustangs went 4-4 during the regular season.
Thursday, 28 August 2014 00:00
The BU15 Mineola Revolution were crowned champions of the Roar at the Shore Tournament 2014 in West Islip on Aug. 10. After dropping the opener 2-0 against North Valley Stream, Mineola bounced back to beat Freeport Premiere 2-1.
The Revolution’s offense exploded in the third game as they beat West Islip 7-0. Mineola’s final game pitted them against Quickstrike FC, which entered the contest without a loss and within a point of winning the tournament.