Thursday, 24 April 2014 00:00
Cabaret Night - April 25
Buffet Dinner - April 25
Baseball Fundraiser - April 29
The Village of Mineola will hold a work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs girls varsity lacrosse team will face Jericho High School at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge at the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold a zoning meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District will hold a Student Art Show at 6 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The East Williston School District will hold a Big Band Night at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola School District will hold Cabaret Night at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The Catholic Daughters of America and Corpus Christi-Court Immaculata No. 144 will host a buffet dinner and auction at 7 p.m. at Corpus Christi Church at 155 Garfield Ave. in Mineola. Tickets are $23, which includes a dinner, egg roll, dessert, tea, coffee, soda and 15 free raffle tickets. For more information, call Mary at 516-294-9729.
The Mineola Mustangs boys varsity lacrosse team will face Cold Spring Harbor at 7 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs varsity baseball team will face the Port Washington Vikings at 4 p.m. at Guggenheim Elementary School.
The Mineola Mustangs varsity softball team will host the Floral Park Knights at 10 a.m.
The East Williston/Roslyn Coalition Committee will meet at 10:30 a.m. in the Willets Road School at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights
The East Williston School Board will meet at 8 p.m. in the auditorium of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
MAA’s 11U Hurricanes Travel Baseball Team will be holding a McDonald’s Night fundraiser from 5 to 8 p.m. in McDonalds at 60 E. Jericho Tpke.
Mineola School Common Core math assessments in grades 3-8.
A “Choices and Consequences” seminar will be held at Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park at 7 p.m.
The East Williston School District audit committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
• Gam-Anon Support Group holds an anonymous meeting for spouses affected by a gambling problem. Held on Thursdays at Temple Emanuel, Hillside Ave., New Hyde Park at 8 p.m. For more information call the 24-hour hotline: 631-321-2883.
Wednesday, 23 July 2014 00:00
Jaclynn Demas always loved film and television. She dreamed of having a hand in its creative process. and wanted to shape the moving image. The East Williston resident’s obsession paid off after taking home a Daytime Creative Arts Emmy Award for Outstanding Pre-School Children’s Animated Program last month as producer of PBS KIDS’ Peg + Cat.
“I’ve loved TV and was a movie buff since I was a little kid,” she said. “All I’ve ever wanted to do was make films. I was just upset at how things were made. When I got older, I took a lot of courses in TV and video production.”
After graduating Hicksville High School in 1998, Demas, 34, attended Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Conn., majoring in mass communications, specifying in film and television production.
Saturday, 19 July 2014 00:00
In recognition of the superior care her daughter Marjorie Levine of Albertson, received, the late Elsie Levine, formerly of Great Neck, has bequeathed $100,000 to Life’s WORC. The recently deceased
Levine was an ardent advocate for those suffering from developmental disabilities. According to her daughter Cathy Levine, Elsie Levine turned her grief and pain into action and this gift demonstrates the gratitude and peace of mind Life’s WORC provided for her entire family.
“My mother had overwhelmingly positive feelings about the care my sister received through Life’s WORC,” added Cathy Levine. “Life’s WORC represented the dawn of giving those with special needs a life and an opportunity to reach their potential.”
Thursday, 17 July 2014 00:00
Mineola Hurricanes lost a battle of the bats on Sunday, June 29, at St. Joseph’s Field in Kings Park, falling short in a 9-8 ball game against the St. Joseph’s Saints in the first game of a doubleheader.
The top of the first saw the Hurricanes take an early 2-0 lead. The runs came home for the Hurricanes when T.J. McManus scored on an error and Connor Eakin scored on a fielder’s choice. The Saints never surrendered the lead after the first inning, scoring five runs on two errors and an RBI single by Jonathan.
Thursday, 17 July 2014 00:00
The Mineola 12U intramural team opened its summer season against the East Williston Wildcats at the Willis Avenue field complex in Mineola on Monday, July 7.
East Williston jumped out to an early 3-0 lead due to some Mineola miscues and timely hitting. Mineola starting pitcher Kenny Solosky was strong, allowing only two hits, four strikeouts and one walk.
Mineola began their push back when Zach Buongiovanni crushed a solo home run onto the railroad tracks, just missing a passing train.
Solosky, Jordan Sandler (game winning walk-off single), Phil LaPierre, Kieran O’Gara, Patrick Solosky, Zach Buongiovanni (2 RBIs) and Vin Othman all contributed an RBI in a balanced hitting attack.
Andrew Geagher made a nice defensive play in the shortstop hole at short throwing out the runner by a step. Matt Pardo also made a nice grab off the centerfield wall holding the East Williston player to a double.