Thursday, 24 April 2014 00:00
Cabaret Night - April 25
Buffet Dinner - April 25
Baseball Fundraiser - April 29
The Village of Mineola will hold a work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs girls varsity lacrosse team will face Jericho High School at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge at the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold a zoning meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District will hold a Student Art Show at 6 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The East Williston School District will hold a Big Band Night at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola School District will hold Cabaret Night at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The Catholic Daughters of America and Corpus Christi-Court Immaculata No. 144 will host a buffet dinner and auction at 7 p.m. at Corpus Christi Church at 155 Garfield Ave. in Mineola. Tickets are $23, which includes a dinner, egg roll, dessert, tea, coffee, soda and 15 free raffle tickets. For more information, call Mary at 516-294-9729.
The Mineola Mustangs boys varsity lacrosse team will face Cold Spring Harbor at 7 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs varsity baseball team will face the Port Washington Vikings at 4 p.m. at Guggenheim Elementary School.
The Mineola Mustangs varsity softball team will host the Floral Park Knights at 10 a.m.
The East Williston/Roslyn Coalition Committee will meet at 10:30 a.m. in the Willets Road School at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights
The East Williston School Board will meet at 8 p.m. in the auditorium of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
MAA’s 11U Hurricanes Travel Baseball Team will be holding a McDonald’s Night fundraiser from 5 to 8 p.m. in McDonalds at 60 E. Jericho Tpke.
Mineola School Common Core math assessments in grades 3-8.
A “Choices and Consequences” seminar will be held at Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park at 7 p.m.
The East Williston School District audit committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
• Gam-Anon Support Group holds an anonymous meeting for spouses affected by a gambling problem. Held on Thursdays at Temple Emanuel, Hillside Ave., New Hyde Park at 8 p.m. For more information call the 24-hour hotline: 631-321-2883.
Friday, 01 August 2014 00:00
The Mineola School District Board of Education assessed the district’s performance in recent New York State assessment and Regents testing; performance that Superintendent of Schools Dr. Michael
Nagler noted was in need of improvement at a July 24 board meeting.
Nagler addressed issues that students have been encountering with the recently-mandated state assessments, noting the difference in effectiveness between what he called “formative testing,” or testing on a regular basis, and “summative testing,” which is done annually, typically at the end of the school year.
Thursday, 31 July 2014 00:00
Five storefronts on Willis Avenue in Williston Park were gutted after a five-alarm fire on Thursday, July 23 at around 2:40 a.m., Williston Park Fire Department officials said. Construction crews could be seen demolishing the row of stores as late as 2 p.m. last Thursday.
The fire was under control at around 4:30 a.m. No injuries were reported, officials noted.
Williston Park fire units responded at 2:44 a.m. According to department Chief Gary Smithing, the blaze started in the Village Cobbler Shoe Repair Shop at 617 Willis Ave.
Thursday, 31 July 2014 00:00
Students at Charles Water Karate & Fitness, located at 122 Hillside Avenue in Williston Park recently received belt promotions after successfully completing a series of extensive exams.
“Our goal at Charles Water Karate & Fitness is to facilitate mental growth enabling our students to reach their highest potential as human beings,” says Charles Water, owner and director of the school.
“Our studio teaches students how to defend themselves responsibly while instilling self-confidence, self-discipline and respect for others.”
Thursday, 31 July 2014 00:00
Mineola Hurricanes 10U offense was too much for L.I. Saints in 14-5 rout on Thursday July 17, at Willis Avenue Field in Mineola. With 11 runs in the first three innings, The Hurricanes left no doubt about the eventual outcome.
An RBI triple by Kevin Pusey, a steal of home by Kevin Pusey, and an RBI single by James Raziano during the first inning and an RBI single by Jack Mackay, a three-run triple by T.J. McManus put runs on the board early.