Thursday, 24 April 2014 00:00
Cabaret Night - April 25
Buffet Dinner - April 25
Baseball Fundraiser - April 29
The Village of Mineola will hold a work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs girls varsity lacrosse team will face Jericho High School at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge at the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold a zoning meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District will hold a Student Art Show at 6 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The East Williston School District will hold a Big Band Night at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola School District will hold Cabaret Night at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The Catholic Daughters of America and Corpus Christi-Court Immaculata No. 144 will host a buffet dinner and auction at 7 p.m. at Corpus Christi Church at 155 Garfield Ave. in Mineola. Tickets are $23, which includes a dinner, egg roll, dessert, tea, coffee, soda and 15 free raffle tickets. For more information, call Mary at 516-294-9729.
The Mineola Mustangs boys varsity lacrosse team will face Cold Spring Harbor at 7 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs varsity baseball team will face the Port Washington Vikings at 4 p.m. at Guggenheim Elementary School.
The Mineola Mustangs varsity softball team will host the Floral Park Knights at 10 a.m.
The East Williston/Roslyn Coalition Committee will meet at 10:30 a.m. in the Willets Road School at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights
The East Williston School Board will meet at 8 p.m. in the auditorium of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
MAA’s 11U Hurricanes Travel Baseball Team will be holding a McDonald’s Night fundraiser from 5 to 8 p.m. in McDonalds at 60 E. Jericho Tpke.
Mineola School Common Core math assessments in grades 3-8.
A “Choices and Consequences” seminar will be held at Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park at 7 p.m.
The East Williston School District audit committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
• Gam-Anon Support Group holds an anonymous meeting for spouses affected by a gambling problem. Held on Thursdays at Temple Emanuel, Hillside Ave., New Hyde Park at 8 p.m. For more information call the 24-hour hotline: 631-321-2883.
Saturday, 22 November 2014 00:00
Winthrop University Hospital employee Jeffrey Brenner, a hyperbaric technician with the Life Support Technologies group in Mineola, recently received the American Heart Association’s prestigious Louis J. Acampora Heart Saver Award at a dinner at the Crest Hollow Country Club. The award is named for a Long Island teenager who succumbed to a sporting injury that is understood to have been preventable if a cardiac medical device had been immediately on-scene and applied.
“I hope that I have made a real difference in my town and the world around me to help prevent death and improve the quality of people’s lives” said Brenner.
Friday, 21 November 2014 00:00
The Wheatley School recently hosted an Item Writing Workshop for more than 100 language teachers representing districts across New York State. The workshop was sponsored by the Foreign Language Association of Chairpersons and Supervisors (FLACS), the professional organization that has assumed responsibility for the creation and administration of the FLACS
Checkpoint A and B Exams (formerly the NYS Second Language Proficiency and Regents Exams).
Thursday, 20 November 2014 00:00
After consecutive seasons of finishing runner-up in the men’s golf Player of the Year for the Skyline Conference, Christian Bleck of St. Joseph’s took home first place in a rather unlikely turn of events.
After a herniated disc caused the Chaminade High School alum to miss every event after the first week of the season until the conference tournament, Bleck returned—without even having the luxury of practicing a full 18 holes—and competed with the best players the conference has to offer.
Thursday, 06 November 2014 00:00
The Mineola Mustang boys cross-country team won the division 4A championship recently at Bethpage State Park. This is the first championship for the program since 1974, ending a 40-year championship drought.
Mineola defeated Seaford, who also entered the undefeated in division competition, 38-20. Overcoming rain and high winds throughout the race, many Mustangs ran personal records for the 5K in route to the victory.