Thursday, 24 April 2014 00:00
Cabaret Night - April 25
Buffet Dinner - April 25
Baseball Fundraiser - April 29
The Village of Mineola will hold a work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A public meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs girls varsity lacrosse team will face Jericho High School at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge at the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold a zoning meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District will hold a Student Art Show at 6 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The East Williston School District will hold a Big Band Night at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola School District will hold Cabaret Night at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The Catholic Daughters of America and Corpus Christi-Court Immaculata No. 144 will host a buffet dinner and auction at 7 p.m. at Corpus Christi Church at 155 Garfield Ave. in Mineola. Tickets are $23, which includes a dinner, egg roll, dessert, tea, coffee, soda and 15 free raffle tickets. For more information, call Mary at 516-294-9729.
The Mineola Mustangs boys varsity lacrosse team will face Cold Spring Harbor at 7 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs varsity baseball team will face the Port Washington Vikings at 4 p.m. at Guggenheim Elementary School.
The Mineola Mustangs varsity softball team will host the Floral Park Knights at 10 a.m.
The East Williston/Roslyn Coalition Committee will meet at 10:30 a.m. in the Willets Road School at 455 I.U. Willets Rd. in Roslyn Heights
The East Williston School Board will meet at 8 p.m. in the auditorium of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
MAA’s 11U Hurricanes Travel Baseball Team will be holding a McDonald’s Night fundraiser from 5 to 8 p.m. in McDonalds at 60 E. Jericho Tpke.
Mineola School Common Core math assessments in grades 3-8.
A “Choices and Consequences” seminar will be held at Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park at 7 p.m.
The East Williston School District audit committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Mineola AARP Chapter 4202 meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month from September to June at 9:30 a.m. in the community center at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
• Gam-Anon Support Group holds an anonymous meeting for spouses affected by a gambling problem. Held on Thursdays at Temple Emanuel, Hillside Ave., New Hyde Park at 8 p.m. For more information call the 24-hour hotline: 631-321-2883.
Wednesday, 22 October 2014 00:00
Local school districts are reaffirming student hygiene standards in the wake of the non-polio enterovirus (EV-D68) that’s been found in the United States. A strain of the enterovirus was found in Southampton’s middle and high schools, but officials say it was not the virus that has caused the national EV-D68 outbreak.
The enterovirus disproportionately affects infants, children and adolescents who lack immunity, according to the Center for Disease Control. School districts have been notified to follow New York State Health Department guidelines to combat possible infections.
Saturday, 11 October 2014 00:00
Audition Hosts: Eleanor Rigby’s Restauant, Mineola Village Hall, Piccola Bussola and Plum Tomatoes
Audition Team: Master Performance Artist Ed Dennehy of Huntington/ formerly of Mineola
Robert Busch, Little Neck and Melville Fire Department, Adrian Gaeckler: Oyster Bay/ Nassau Coliseum Staff, Nigel Gretton: Hempstead/ St John’s University Performing Arts Chair Lady Laura, Hempstead/ Global Performing Artist, Ralph DeSalvo: Williston Park, Musician/ Band Leader.
Al Trompeter, Entertainment Promoter
Special Touches: Bagelman of Mineola ( Entertainment Committee Host)
Creations de Belle of Mineola (Street Decorations/ Balloons)
Thursday, 16 October 2014 00:00
The Mineola Mustangs ended last year’s playoff run in a 34-6 drubbing from the West Hempstead Rams. Mineola was poised for another post season push in 2014 and it showed last week, with a 15-14 victory over the Rams in homecoming weekend.
With a slow start in the first half, Mineola (4-1) put their first points on the board in the second quarter with a field goal by senior Robert Lang. After a touchdown by the Rams (2-3), they headed into halftime 7-3.
Thursday, 09 October 2014 00:00
Despite two goals from Liam Going, the BU11 Mineola FC squad fell to a relentless and talented Hota Panthers team at Soccer Park in Plainview on Sept. 6. Hota jumped out to a 4-0 lead before Going connected on his first tally, launching a 30-yard free kick that dropped over the Hota keeper. The Mineola striker’s second goal brought his team to within two goals of their opponent, but Hota scored several more goals in the second half in a strong performance. Mineola’s Nicholas Buffolino and Luke Sommese gave solid efforts for Mineola in the season-opener for both teams.