Thursday, 10 April 2014 00:00
Mustangs Travel To Seahawks - April 9
Pops Concert - April 13
Egg Hunts - April 19
The Village of Mineola will hold a public hearing 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A work session will follow if needed.
The Mineola Mustangs’ girls junior varsity lacrosse team will face the Carey High School Seahawks at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ baseball team will face Seaford at 4:30 p.m. at Seaford Middle School at 3940 Sunset Ave.
The East Williston School District will hold its Foreign Language Honor Society Induction Ceremony at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
“A Tribute to the American Spirit” benefit concert features patriotic selections, with proceeds going to The Independence Fund, which provides medical supplies to military veterans. Bill O'Reilly of Fox News will make an appearance. Tickets $50. Starting at 3 p.m. at Chaminade High School, 340 Jackson Ave. Mineola. More info at www.nassaupops.com
Schools close for spring break.
The Mineola Mustangs’ boys varsity lacrosse team will face Glen Cove High School at 11 a.m.
Village of East Williston zoning board meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall, 2 Prospect Pl. Mineola.
Additional egg-hunt events will take place at Eisenhower Park and the Roosevelt Sanctuary in Oyster Bay. All week, the Easter Bunny will be hopping around Roosevelt Field Mall and Hicks Nurseries posing for photos with kids. Check next week's issue for details.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge at the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold a zoning meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the localcommunity. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Saturday, 20 September 2014 00:00
Senator Jack Martins discussed education, business and drug use among other topics in a an exclusive interview with this newspaper and FiOS 1 News. He’s currently seeking re-election in November, being challenged by Democrat Adam Haber. Pointing to what he called “key legislation,” particularly the tax cap legislation passed in 2011 and prescription drug bill he helped shepherd to enactment, Martins feels New York State is on track to continue fiscal responsibility.
“In these last four years, we’ve had four balanced budgets, we’ve cut taxes working together, we have paid off debt, streamlined government, kept spending below 2 percent each one of those years,” Martins said.
Friday, 19 September 2014 00:00
A contingent of 80 Mineola runners embarked on their first trek to lower Manhattan last year for the Tunnel To Towers 5K Run through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel toward the World Trade Center site. This year, the United Mavericks, a networking group of local business people that support local charities and causes, are gearing up surpass that number.
Mavericks reps say they’re half way to gathering 1,000 people to run in the event’s 13th year on Saturday, Sept. 28.
The run honors a fireman Stephen Siller, who was enjoying a day off planning to play golf before he learned the Twin Towers were hit by two airplanes during the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. He was one of the 343 firefighters who died when the towers collapsed.
Thursday, 18 September 2014 00:00
Though it had already hosted the series of lacrosse games during the regular season this past spring, Chaminade High School’s new Gold Star Stadium was officially christened on Saturday, Sept. 6, named in honor of the 56 alumni who had perished during combat.
“Tradition holds that when one dies in the service a gold star is given to the family,” said Chaminade President Bro. Thomas Cleary. “Our 56 Gold Star Alumni are honored for their selflessness, courage, and integrity.”
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Although the expectations for the 2014 Mineola Mustangs boy’s varsity soccer season may be somewhat measured, the team enters the season with the goal of a berth in the Nassau County playoffs. The team is young and inexperienced but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There is considerable talent on the horizon. There are only four starting seniors and five sophomores on the roster. Four year starting senior forward Daniel Pardo returns (19 goals in three seasons) as does senior standout goalkeeper Andrew Pereira.