Thursday, 10 April 2014 00:00
Mustangs Travel To Seahawks - April 9
Pops Concert - April 13
Egg Hunts - April 19
The Village of Mineola will hold a public hearing 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A work session will follow if needed.
The Mineola Mustangs’ girls junior varsity lacrosse team will face the Carey High School Seahawks at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ baseball team will face Seaford at 4:30 p.m. at Seaford Middle School at 3940 Sunset Ave.
The East Williston School District will hold its Foreign Language Honor Society Induction Ceremony at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
“A Tribute to the American Spirit” benefit concert features patriotic selections, with proceeds going to The Independence Fund, which provides medical supplies to military veterans. Bill O'Reilly of Fox News will make an appearance. Tickets $50. Starting at 3 p.m. at Chaminade High School, 340 Jackson Ave. Mineola. More info at www.nassaupops.com
Schools close for spring break.
The Mineola Mustangs’ boys varsity lacrosse team will face Glen Cove High School at 11 a.m.
Village of East Williston zoning board meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall, 2 Prospect Pl. Mineola.
Additional egg-hunt events will take place at Eisenhower Park and the Roosevelt Sanctuary in Oyster Bay. All week, the Easter Bunny will be hopping around Roosevelt Field Mall and Hicks Nurseries posing for photos with kids. Check next week's issue for details.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge at the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold a zoning meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the localcommunity. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Saturday, 11 October 2014 00:00
Audition Hosts: Eleanor Rigby’s Restauant, Mineola Village Hall, Piccola Bussola and Plum Tomatoes
Audition Team: Master Performance Artist Ed Dennehy of Huntington/ formerly of Mineola
Robert Busch, Little Neck and Melville Fire Department, Adrian Gaeckler: Oyster Bay/ Nassau Coliseum Staff, Nigel Gretton: Hempstead/ St John’s University Performing Arts Chair Lady Laura, Hempstead/ Global Performing Artist, Ralph DeSalvo: Williston Park, Musician/ Band Leader.
Al Trompeter, Entertainment Promoter
Special Touches: Bagelman of Mineola ( Entertainment Committee Host)
Creations de Belle of Mineola (Street Decorations/ Balloons)
Friday, 10 October 2014 00:00
Tom Hayden has been a member of Mineola Golden Age for nearly 20 years.
Growing up in Flushing, Queens, he has lived in Mineola for about 40 years. Hayden has five children—two on Long Island, two in Florida, and one in Maryland—and 13 grand-children, all girls.
Thursday, 16 October 2014 00:00
The Mineola Mustangs ended last year’s playoff run in a 34-6 drubbing from the West Hempstead Rams. Mineola was poised for another post season push in 2014 and it showed last week, with a 15-14 victory over the Rams in homecoming weekend.
With a slow start in the first half, Mineola (4-1) put their first points on the board in the second quarter with a field goal by senior Robert Lang. After a touchdown by the Rams (2-3), they headed into halftime 7-3.
Thursday, 09 October 2014 00:00
Despite two goals from Liam Going, the BU11 Mineola FC squad fell to a relentless and talented Hota Panthers team at Soccer Park in Plainview on Sept. 6. Hota jumped out to a 4-0 lead before Going connected on his first tally, launching a 30-yard free kick that dropped over the Hota keeper. The Mineola striker’s second goal brought his team to within two goals of their opponent, but Hota scored several more goals in the second half in a strong performance. Mineola’s Nicholas Buffolino and Luke Sommese gave solid efforts for Mineola in the season-opener for both teams.