Thursday, 10 April 2014 00:00
Mustangs Travel To Seahawks - April 9
Pops Concert - April 13
Egg Hunts - April 19
The Village of Mineola will hold a public hearing 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A work session will follow if needed.
The Mineola Mustangs’ girls junior varsity lacrosse team will face the Carey High School Seahawks at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ baseball team will face Seaford at 4:30 p.m. at Seaford Middle School at 3940 Sunset Ave.
The East Williston School District will hold its Foreign Language Honor Society Induction Ceremony at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
“A Tribute to the American Spirit” benefit concert features patriotic selections, with proceeds going to The Independence Fund, which provides medical supplies to military veterans. Bill O'Reilly of Fox News will make an appearance. Tickets $50. Starting at 3 p.m. at Chaminade High School, 340 Jackson Ave. Mineola. More info at www.nassaupops.com
Schools close for spring break.
The Mineola Mustangs’ boys varsity lacrosse team will face Glen Cove High School at 11 a.m.
Village of East Williston zoning board meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall, 2 Prospect Pl. Mineola.
Additional egg-hunt events will take place at Eisenhower Park and the Roosevelt Sanctuary in Oyster Bay. All week, the Easter Bunny will be hopping around Roosevelt Field Mall and Hicks Nurseries posing for photos with kids. Check next week's issue for details.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge at the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold a zoning meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the localcommunity. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Wednesday, 20 August 2014 00:00
The nine-story apartment building at 250 Old Country Road is rising on schedule, according to developers. Lake Success-based Lalezarian Developers is constructing a nine-story, 315-unit complex at the site.
Kevin Lalezarian estimated the project is about 20 percent complete.
“Our foundation is nearly complete,” Lalezarian said. “Our superstructure is proceeding. That’s the main thing happening right now.”
Saturday, 16 August 2014 00:00
The Mineola Fire Department is looking to replace its Company Two engine, Truck 168. The truck is 25 years old, consisting of an articulating boom and bucket.
A new truck would cost upwards of $1 million, fire reps said.
“The current truck has served the village well for many years, but is in need of replacement,” Chief of Department Jeff Clark said.
Thursday, 14 August 2014 00:00
The Mineola Hurricanes recently swept the Smithtown Bulls recently pounded the Smithtown Bulls in two games, winning 9-1and 6-1 at Brady Field in Smithtown. In game one, Chris Marotta brought the heat against the Bulls.
Smithtown managed just one hit off of Marotta, who allowed no earned runs, walked two and struck out eight during his five innings of work. The Bulls jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning.
Thursday, 14 August 2014 00:00
Had college lacrosse burst onto the scene one generation earlier, one local resident would have become a household name within the inner circles. Settling for three National Championships and a professional contract, however, is not a bad consolation prize.
Alex Rosier can now add one more accomplishment to the resume, nearly 20 years after his college career ended.