Thursday, 10 April 2014 00:00
Mustangs Travel To Seahawks - April 9
Pops Concert - April 13
Egg Hunts - April 19
The Village of Mineola will hold a public hearing 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola. A work session will follow if needed.
The Mineola Mustangs’ girls junior varsity lacrosse team will face the Carey High School Seahawks at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ baseball team will face Seaford at 4:30 p.m. at Seaford Middle School at 3940 Sunset Ave.
The East Williston School District will hold its Foreign Language Honor Society Induction Ceremony at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
“A Tribute to the American Spirit” benefit concert features patriotic selections, with proceeds going to The Independence Fund, which provides medical supplies to military veterans. Bill O'Reilly of Fox News will make an appearance. Tickets $50. Starting at 3 p.m. at Chaminade High School, 340 Jackson Ave. Mineola. More info at www.nassaupops.com
Schools close for spring break.
The Mineola Mustangs’ boys varsity lacrosse team will face Glen Cove High School at 11 a.m.
Village of East Williston zoning board meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall, 2 Prospect Pl. Mineola.
Additional egg-hunt events will take place at Eisenhower Park and the Roosevelt Sanctuary in Oyster Bay. All week, the Easter Bunny will be hopping around Roosevelt Field Mall and Hicks Nurseries posing for photos with kids. Check next week's issue for details.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge at the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold a zoning meeting at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the localcommunity. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at 516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Friday, 25 July 2014 00:00
Only once a year a 25-foot movie screen sits in the middle of Wilson Park in Mineola, ready to entertain residents. This year’s Movie Night in the Park feature The LEGO Movie, sponsored by the Village of Mineola and Mineola Chamber of Commerce on Friday, July 18.
The event, which was free of charge to all of the moviegoers, was meant to help promote local Mineola businesses, according to president of the Mineola Chamber of Commerce Bill Greene.
“Small businesses are the backbone of the American industry, and we feel that this is a great way of giving back to the community with hopes that they’ll remember to shop locally,” said Greene.
Thursday, 24 July 2014 00:00
Mineola resident Frank Zuniga and his wife, Charlotte, were heartbroken. It was bad enough that they had to take Mollie, their rescued beagle/terrier mix to the veterinarian on July 4, but it wasn’t until last week that they found out what happened to her until last week.
It started on Independence Day when Mollie, who the Zunigas adopted in February, started vomiting. Their regular vet was closed for the holiday, and the couple found that the Veterinary Referral and Emergency Center of Westbury would see them.
Thursday, 24 July 2014 00:00
Runners from all over Long Island came to run at the fourth annual Katie Oppo Memorial 5K on Sunday, June 15. The runner first across the finish line was Mineola resident Michael Mariotti, general manager, owner and host of the famous local restaurant Cafe Continental in Manhasset.
The day was glorious as the runners and walkers began their trek through Flower Hill from the starting line at Flower Hill Park. Organizers of this year’s event made the race a USATF Certified 5K race, timed by Long Island Race Timing.
Thursday, 17 July 2014 00:00
Mineola Hurricanes lost a battle of the bats on Sunday, June 29, at St. Joseph’s Field in Kings Park, falling short in a 9-8 ball game against the St. Joseph’s Saints in the first game of a doubleheader.
The top of the first saw the Hurricanes take an early 2-0 lead. The runs came home for the Hurricanes when T.J. McManus scored on an error and Connor Eakin scored on a fielder’s choice. The Saints never surrendered the lead after the first inning, scoring five runs on two errors and an RBI single by Jonathan.