Thursday, 03 April 2014 00:00
Pasta Dinner - April 3
School Board - April 3
Budget Session - April 8
The Mineola High School PTSA will meet in the library at 7 p.m. in the school at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The East Williston School Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. to discuss the district budget in room 450 of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola School Board will hold its workshop meeting at 7 p.m. in the library of the Mineola High School, at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
Mineola Middle School will hold its Spring Party from 7 to 9 p.m. at 200 Emory Rd. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold Organization Night at 7 p.m. in the community center of Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School Board will hold its final budget meeting at 7:30 p.m. in room 450 of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Village of Mineola will hold its budget work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society
Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
Thursday, 18 September 2014 00:00
As the night sky fell on Memorial Park last Thursday, Mineola residents and officials paused to remember the almost 3,000 lives that were lost in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
Mayor Scott Strauss, a former NYPD EMS worker and 9/11 first responder, was one of the many who rushed into Manhattan after the attacks, searching the rubble for survivors. He was part of the rescue effort that saved the lives of Port Authority Police officers Will Jimeno and John McLoughlin.
Wednesday, 17 September 2014 00:00
Swaths of nearby and local residents flocked to the sixth annual Mineola Street Fair on Sunday, Sept. 14. With vendors lined up and down the streets featuring local businesses and restaurants, live performances and various entertainment for kids, the Mineola Chamber of Commerce-sponsored event didn’t disappoint Mary Cheung of Great Neck.
“These fairs are always fun,” she said. “It’s not too hot, not too cold. The music is the best part.”
Thursday, 18 September 2014 00:00
Though it had already hosted the series of lacrosse games during the regular season this past spring, Chaminade High School’s new Gold Star Stadium was officially christened on Saturday, Sept. 6, named in honor of the 56 alumni who had perished during combat.
“Tradition holds that when one dies in the service a gold star is given to the family,” said Chaminade President Bro. Thomas Cleary. “Our 56 Gold Star Alumni are honored for their selflessness, courage, and integrity.”
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Although the expectations for the 2014 Mineola Mustangs boy’s varsity soccer season may be somewhat measured, the team enters the season with the goal of a berth in the Nassau County playoffs. The team is young and inexperienced but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There is considerable talent on the horizon. There are only four starting seniors and five sophomores on the roster. Four year starting senior forward Daniel Pardo returns (19 goals in three seasons) as does senior standout goalkeeper Andrew Pereira.