Thursday, 27 March 2014 00:00
PTO Meeting - March 31
Community Pasta Dinner - April 3
School Board Meeting - April 3
The Mineola Mustangs’ varsity softball team will face the Floral Park Knights at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ varsity lacrosse team will face the Floral Park Knights at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District Financial Advisory Committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Wheatley School PTO will meet at 8 p.m. in room 450 at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola Mustang boys spring track team will travel to face Friends Academy at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ varsity softball team will face Oyster Bay High School at 4:30 p.m.
The East Williston School District Educational Advisory Committee will meet at 6 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola High School Booster Club will meet at 7 p.m. in the school at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The Hampton Street and Meadow Drive School PTAs will meet at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola High School PTSA will meet in the library at 7 p.m. in the school at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The East Williston School Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. to discuss the district budget in room 450 of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola School Board will hold its workshop meeting at 7 p.m. in the library of the Mineola High School, at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
Mineola Middle School will hold its Spring Party from 7 to 9 p.m. at 200 Emory Rd. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold Organization Night at 7 p.m. in the community center of Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School Board will hold its final budget meeting at 7:30 p.m. in room 450 of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Village of Mineola will hold its budget work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
Saturday, 20 September 2014 00:00
Senator Jack Martins discussed education, business and drug use among other topics in a an exclusive interview with this newspaper and FiOS 1 News. He’s currently seeking re-election in November, being challenged by Democrat Adam Haber. Pointing to what he called “key legislation,” particularly the tax cap legislation passed in 2011 and prescription drug bill he helped shepherd to enactment, Martins feels New York State is on track to continue fiscal responsibility.
“In these last four years, we’ve had four balanced budgets, we’ve cut taxes working together, we have paid off debt, streamlined government, kept spending below 2 percent each one of those years,” Martins said.
Friday, 19 September 2014 00:00
A contingent of 80 Mineola runners embarked on their first trek to lower Manhattan last year for the Tunnel To Towers 5K Run through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel toward the World Trade Center site. This year, the United Mavericks, a networking group of local business people that support local charities and causes, are gearing up surpass that number.
Mavericks reps say they’re half way to gathering 1,000 people to run in the event’s 13th year on Saturday, Sept. 28.
The run honors a fireman Stephen Siller, who was enjoying a day off planning to play golf before he learned the Twin Towers were hit by two airplanes during the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. He was one of the 343 firefighters who died when the towers collapsed.
Thursday, 18 September 2014 00:00
Though it had already hosted the series of lacrosse games during the regular season this past spring, Chaminade High School’s new Gold Star Stadium was officially christened on Saturday, Sept. 6, named in honor of the 56 alumni who had perished during combat.
“Tradition holds that when one dies in the service a gold star is given to the family,” said Chaminade President Bro. Thomas Cleary. “Our 56 Gold Star Alumni are honored for their selflessness, courage, and integrity.”
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Although the expectations for the 2014 Mineola Mustangs boy’s varsity soccer season may be somewhat measured, the team enters the season with the goal of a berth in the Nassau County playoffs. The team is young and inexperienced but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There is considerable talent on the horizon. There are only four starting seniors and five sophomores on the roster. Four year starting senior forward Daniel Pardo returns (19 goals in three seasons) as does senior standout goalkeeper Andrew Pereira.