Thursday, 27 March 2014 00:00
PTO Meeting - March 31
Community Pasta Dinner - April 3
School Board Meeting - April 3
The Mineola Mustangs’ varsity softball team will face the Floral Park Knights at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ varsity lacrosse team will face the Floral Park Knights at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District Financial Advisory Committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Wheatley School PTO will meet at 8 p.m. in room 450 at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola Mustang boys spring track team will travel to face Friends Academy at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ varsity softball team will face Oyster Bay High School at 4:30 p.m.
The East Williston School District Educational Advisory Committee will meet at 6 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola High School Booster Club will meet at 7 p.m. in the school at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The Hampton Street and Meadow Drive School PTAs will meet at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola High School PTSA will meet in the library at 7 p.m. in the school at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The East Williston School Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. to discuss the district budget in room 450 of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Mineola School Board will hold its workshop meeting at 7 p.m. in the library of the Mineola High School, at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
Mineola Middle School will hold its Spring Party from 7 to 9 p.m. at 200 Emory Rd. in Mineola.
The Village of Mineola will hold Organization Night at 7 p.m. in the community center of Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School Board will hold its final budget meeting at 7:30 p.m. in room 450 of the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
The Village of Mineola will hold its budget work session at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, the group is here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Call 516-742-8080.
Saturday, 19 July 2014 00:00
In recognition of the superior care her daughter Marjorie Levine of Albertson, received, the late Elsie Levine, formerly of Great Neck, has bequeathed $100,000 to Life’s WORC. The recently deceased
Levine was an ardent advocate for those suffering from developmental disabilities. According to her daughter Cathy Levine, Elsie Levine turned her grief and pain into action and this gift demonstrates the gratitude and peace of mind Life’s WORC provided for her entire family.
“My mother had overwhelmingly positive feelings about the care my sister received through Life’s WORC,” added Cathy Levine. “Life’s WORC represented the dawn of giving those with special needs a life and an opportunity to reach their potential.”
Friday, 18 July 2014 00:00
A potential Long Island Rail Road strike due to a contract disagreement between its union and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority could leave many commuters stranded at the Mineola Train Station next week.
“I think it’s unfair to a lot of people,” said Bryan Jean-Pierre of Westbury as he waited for his train in Mineola.
Jean-Pierre, a restaurant manager in New York City, said the strike would be a strain for him. He plans to carpool if the strike occurs.
Thursday, 17 July 2014 00:00
Mineola Hurricanes lost a battle of the bats on Sunday, June 29, at St. Joseph’s Field in Kings Park, falling short in a 9-8 ball game against the St. Joseph’s Saints in the first game of a doubleheader.
The top of the first saw the Hurricanes take an early 2-0 lead. The runs came home for the Hurricanes when T.J. McManus scored on an error and Connor Eakin scored on a fielder’s choice. The Saints never surrendered the lead after the first inning, scoring five runs on two errors and an RBI single by Jonathan.
Thursday, 17 July 2014 00:00
The Mineola 12U intramural team opened its summer season against the East Williston Wildcats at the Willis Avenue field complex in Mineola on Monday, July 7.
East Williston jumped out to an early 3-0 lead due to some Mineola miscues and timely hitting. Mineola starting pitcher Kenny Solosky was strong, allowing only two hits, four strikeouts and one walk.
Mineola began their push back when Zach Buongiovanni crushed a solo home run onto the railroad tracks, just missing a passing train.
Solosky, Jordan Sandler (game winning walk-off single), Phil LaPierre, Kieran O’Gara, Patrick Solosky, Zach Buongiovanni (2 RBIs) and Vin Othman all contributed an RBI in a balanced hitting attack.
Andrew Geagher made a nice defensive play in the shortstop hole at short throwing out the runner by a step. Matt Pardo also made a nice grab off the centerfield wall holding the East Williston player to a double.