Thursday, 20 March 2014 00:00
School Board - Mineola - March 20
Wedding Singer - March 22
PTO Meeting - March 25
Mineola High School will host the Senior To Senior Day Musical at 3 p.m.
The Jackson Avenue School at 300 Jackson Ave. in Mineola will host a book fair.
The Village of Mineola Board of Trustees will meet on at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. to certify 2014 election results.
The Mineola Mustangs’ varsity softball team will host the Garden City Spartans at 4:30 p.m.
The East Williston Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place in East Williston.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge of the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
Mineola High School will host the spring sports pep rally at 1:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ girls varsity lacrosse team will host the New Hyde Park Gladiators at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ boys varsity lacrosse team will host Calhoun Colts at 4:45 p.m.
Primerica will hold a financial wellness workshop dubbed “Parents R Talking” at 77 Jericho Tpke. Room 175, in Mineola at 1:30 p.m.
Mineola High School will hold its spring musical, The Wedding Singer, at 2 and 7:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased by calling 516-237-2625 or at the door.
The Mineola School District’s Special Education PTA will meet in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park at 7:30 p.m.
The Village of Williston Park will meet at 6:30 p.m. to discuss the 2014-15 budget.
The North Side School PTO in the East Williston School District will meet at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ boys varsity soccer team will face the Floral Park Knights at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District Financial Advisory Committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Saturday, 23 August 2014 00:00
A few months ago, while returning to my car after attending a wake, I was surprised to catch a glimpse of something that immediately brought me back to my elementary school days. Directly in front of me stood a portion of the original concrete wall that had surrounded my alma mater.
In 1922, Corpus Christi Church purchased the Robert Graves estate on Searing Avenue and transformed its building into a parish school. It was a beautiful structure of Spanish-style architecture surrounded by the concrete wall, sporting huge ornate iron gates.
Friday, 22 August 2014 00:00
Village of East Williston Mayor David Tanner last week stood fast against paying an “excessive” water bill from neighboring village and supplier Williston Park, following a loss in a second round of legal battles.
Tanner said Williston Park sent East Williston a bill for $600,000 last week based on water rate increases East Williston refused to pay while pursuing two lawsuits that contested the rate hikes.
Williston Park is seeking $300,000 in interest and penalties following a recent state Appellate Court decision upholding the second of two water rate increases imposed on East Williston. Tanner said East
Williston will only pay approximately $250,000 of the $300,000 Williston Park seeking to recover in unpaid fees based on the two increases.
Thursday, 21 August 2014 00:00
Mineola runners PJ Diskin, Kaitlin Phelps, and Yuri Karasz were award winners in the Lynn, Gartner, Dunne & Covello Sands Point Sprint 5 Kilometer Run, held on the grounds of Nassau County’s Sands Point Preserve on Saturday morning, Aug. 9.
Thursday, 21 August 2014 00:00
The Mineola 9U Hurricanes recently completed its summer baseball season as the NJBL 9U Central Division Champions, finishing 10-2-1 on the year and secured a second place spot entering the playoffs.
The Hurricanes beat the North Shore Spartans for the fourth time this season in a playoff win in walk-off fashion as they came from behind to win 4-3 earning the Hurricanes a berth into the championship series.