Thursday, 20 March 2014 00:00
School Board - Mineola - March 20
Wedding Singer - March 22
PTO Meeting - March 25
Mineola High School will host the Senior To Senior Day Musical at 3 p.m.
The Jackson Avenue School at 300 Jackson Ave. in Mineola will host a book fair.
The Village of Mineola Board of Trustees will meet on at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. to certify 2014 election results.
The Mineola Mustangs’ varsity softball team will host the Garden City Spartans at 4:30 p.m.
The East Williston Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place in East Williston.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge of the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
Mineola High School will host the spring sports pep rally at 1:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ girls varsity lacrosse team will host the New Hyde Park Gladiators at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ boys varsity lacrosse team will host Calhoun Colts at 4:45 p.m.
Primerica will hold a financial wellness workshop dubbed “Parents R Talking” at 77 Jericho Tpke. Room 175, in Mineola at 1:30 p.m.
Mineola High School will hold its spring musical, The Wedding Singer, at 2 and 7:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased by calling 516-237-2625 or at the door.
The Mineola School District’s Special Education PTA will meet in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park at 7:30 p.m.
The Village of Williston Park will meet at 6:30 p.m. to discuss the 2014-15 budget.
The North Side School PTO in the East Williston School District will meet at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ boys varsity soccer team will face the Floral Park Knights at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District Financial Advisory Committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Saturday, 25 October 2014 00:00
Way before Home Depot or Ace Hardware came into existence, there were little mom-and-pop shops like Munder’s True Value on Hillside Avenue in Williston Park. The hardware store, which opened its doors in 1948, is somewhat of a suburban dinosaur having outlasted several other hardware stores in the area.
“My father, Charles, opened this store in 1948 after returning home from World War II,” said Bill Munder, who took over the store operation seven years ago. “His parents wanted to know his plans after he returned home from the marines and he decided to open this store on Hillside Avenue.”
Friday, 24 October 2014 00:00
The debate over New York State Common Core standards continues, with students from the Mineola School District showing a mild resistance to the exams.
According to the New York State Allies for Public Education, Mineola had some of the lowest numbers, with eight students opting out of the English Language Arts test. However, not a single Mineola student missed the math test. In East Williston, the opt out rates were 75 students in ELA and 60 in math.
Thursday, 23 October 2014 00:00
The New York Cosmos hosted the Mineola Athletic Association’s Soccer Club recently for its penultimate fall 2014 home game. More than 140 members of the MAA soccer club and their families came out on a chilly October evening to show their love of the game. Twenty-two Mineola boys and girls had the honor of escorting the New York Cosmos and Ottawa Fury players onto the field in the traditional “Walk of Champions.”
The Mineola spirit must have inspired the home team, as spectators enjoyed the exciting 2-1 Cosmos victory, with the game-winning goal coming in stoppage time.
Thursday, 23 October 2014 00:00
As a current member of the Mineola High School Varsity Soccer team, senior, Catherine Cunningham has been dominating the scoring for the Mustangs. She has 12 goals and two assists in the last seven games.
In her last week of play alone, she amassed six goals in just three games. As a captain for the last two years, Cunningham has been an All-Conference and All-Class player, leading her team to two victories so far this season.