Thursday, 20 March 2014 00:00
School Board - Mineola - March 20
Wedding Singer - March 22
PTO Meeting - March 25
Mineola High School will host the Senior To Senior Day Musical at 3 p.m.
The Jackson Avenue School at 300 Jackson Ave. in Mineola will host a book fair.
The Village of Mineola Board of Trustees will meet on at 6:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. to certify 2014 election results.
The Mineola Mustangs’ varsity softball team will host the Garden City Spartans at 4:30 p.m.
The East Williston Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place in East Williston.
The Mineola School Board will hold its business meeting at 7 p.m. in the second floor staff lounge of the Willis Avenue School at 121 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
Mineola High School will host the spring sports pep rally at 1:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ girls varsity lacrosse team will host the New Hyde Park Gladiators at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ boys varsity lacrosse team will host Calhoun Colts at 4:45 p.m.
Primerica will hold a financial wellness workshop dubbed “Parents R Talking” at 77 Jericho Tpke. Room 175, in Mineola at 1:30 p.m.
Mineola High School will hold its spring musical, The Wedding Singer, at 2 and 7:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased by calling 516-237-2625 or at the door.
The Mineola School District’s Special Education PTA will meet in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park at 7:30 p.m.
The Village of Williston Park will meet at 6:30 p.m. to discuss the 2014-15 budget.
The North Side School PTO in the East Williston School District will meet at 7:30 p.m.
The Mineola Mustangs’ boys varsity soccer team will face the Floral Park Knights at 4:30 p.m.
The Mineola Board of Zoning Appeals will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District Financial Advisory Committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Wheatley School at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Wednesday, 17 September 2014 00:00
Swaths of nearby and local residents flocked to the sixth annual Mineola Street Fair on Sunday, Sept. 14. With vendors lined up and down the streets featuring local businesses and restaurants, live performances and various entertainment for kids, the Mineola Chamber of Commerce-sponsored event didn’t disappoint Mary Cheung of Great Neck.
“These fairs are always fun,” she said. “It’s not too hot, not too cold. The music is the best part.”
Saturday, 13 September 2014 00:00
A bunch of fruit in a bowl may not be that exciting to look at, that is unless you’re looking at them from Nancy Colleary’s point of view. Through her still life paintings, the she explores shadows, colors and light to make the most ordinary objects appear beautiful.
From her in-home studio, she continues to hold classes and work on her own projects, which includes paintings that are on display at Walk Street in Garden City and Chef’s Corner in Mineola.
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Although the expectations for the 2014 Mineola Mustangs boy’s varsity soccer season may be somewhat measured, the team enters the season with the goal of a berth in the Nassau County playoffs. The team is young and inexperienced but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There is considerable talent on the horizon. There are only four starting seniors and five sophomores on the roster. Four year starting senior forward Daniel Pardo returns (19 goals in three seasons) as does senior standout goalkeeper Andrew Pereira.
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Mineola resident Michael Patalano of Andrews Road was named one two captains on the Kellenberg Memorial High School varsity football team recently. He played for the Mineola Chiefs for five years, which prepared him for football at the next level. He has three younger sisters. Two of them play sports for the Mineola Mustangs.