Thursday, 06 March 2014 00:00
Choral Night - March 5
City Boy - March 11
Chamber Meeting - March 18
The Mineola School District will host Choral Night at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The Village of East Williston will hold a budget meeting at 8 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place.
The East Williston School District will hold a budget meeting at 7:30 p.m. at the Wheatley School in Room 450 at 11 Bacon Rd. in Old Westbury.
Mineola High School will host an all-day blood drive on at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Mineola.
Mineola Middle School at 200 Emory Rd. in Mineola will host International Night from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
The Village of East Williston will hold a board meeting at 8 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place.
The Mineola Middle School PTA will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the school at 200 Emory Rd.
The Book Club of the East Williston Library will discuss City Boy by Herman Wouk from 1:30 to 3 p.m. City Boy spins a hilarious and often touching tale of an urban kid’s adventures and misadventures on the street, in school, in the countryside, always in pursuit of Lucille, a heartless redhead personifying all the girls who torment and fascinate pubescent lads of eleven.
The Mineola School District Safety Committee will meet at 3 p.m. in the Willis Avenue School at 1212 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Mineola High School PTSA will meet at 7 p.m. in the library at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Mineola.
Mineola High School will host a music parents meeting at 7:30 p.m. in the high school library.
The Willets Road PTO in the East Williston School District will meet 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the Willets Road School at 455 I U Willets Rd.
The Hampton Street School will hold a Parents As Reading Partners (PARP) party to commemorate the end of PARP.
Eleanor Rigby’s at 133 Mineola Blvd. will host live music from Frank and Joanne at 8 p.m. call 516-739-6622 for more information.
VFW Post 5253 at 155 Searington Road in Albertson is celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with a dinner-dance from 3 to 7 p.m. Tickets are $40 per person, and there will be an open bar, a corned beef and cabbage buffet, including soda bread, and coffee and dessert. Live music is also on tap. Reservations are required. Contact Charles Wohlgemuth at 516-326-1243.
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Enjoy your corn beef and cabbage.
The Mineola Chamber of Commerce will hold a meeting at 6 p.m. in Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Tpke. in Mineola.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Wednesday, 17 September 2014 00:00
Swaths of nearby and local residents flocked to the sixth annual Mineola Street Fair on Sunday, Sept. 14. With vendors lined up and down the streets featuring local businesses and restaurants, live performances and various entertainment for kids, the Mineola Chamber of Commerce-sponsored event didn’t disappoint Mary Cheung of Great Neck.
“These fairs are always fun,” she said. “It’s not too hot, not too cold. The music is the best part.”
Saturday, 13 September 2014 00:00
A bunch of fruit in a bowl may not be that exciting to look at, that is unless you’re looking at them from Nancy Colleary’s point of view. Through her still life paintings, the she explores shadows, colors and light to make the most ordinary objects appear beautiful.
From her in-home studio, she continues to hold classes and work on her own projects, which includes paintings that are on display at Walk Street in Garden City and Chef’s Corner in Mineola.
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Although the expectations for the 2014 Mineola Mustangs boy’s varsity soccer season may be somewhat measured, the team enters the season with the goal of a berth in the Nassau County playoffs. The team is young and inexperienced but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There is considerable talent on the horizon. There are only four starting seniors and five sophomores on the roster. Four year starting senior forward Daniel Pardo returns (19 goals in three seasons) as does senior standout goalkeeper Andrew Pereira.
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Mineola resident Michael Patalano of Andrews Road was named one two captains on the Kellenberg Memorial High School varsity football team recently. He played for the Mineola Chiefs for five years, which prepared him for football at the next level. He has three younger sisters. Two of them play sports for the Mineola Mustangs.