Thursday, 27 February 2014 00:00
Junior Parent Night - February 26
Joint Concert - February 27
Supermarket Bingo - March 1
Chat about your garden experience with local gardeners at Clark Botanic Garden at 193 I.U. Willets Rd. in Albertson on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 1 p.m. Fee is $5 for members and $8 for non-members. Pre-registration is required. Call Maria Morgan at 516-484-8603.
Mineola High School will host Junior Parent Night on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. The guidance department will hold a presentation.
SendOutCards will host an Opportunity/Distributor Training event in LaunchPad Long Island at 55 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola on Thursday, Feb. 27. Distributors are asked for $10 each to cover the room fees and guests are free. Tickets can be purchased at tinyurl.com/mxubt97. For more information, call Mark Dana at 718-874-6536.
The East Williston School District will host a joint concert of the Wheatley School and the Long Island Philharmonic on Thursday, Feb. 27 at 7:30 p.m. in Wheatley Auditorium at 11 Bacon Rd., in Old Westbury.
The Jackson Avenue School’s fourth-grade movie night will occur on Friday, Feb. 28.
The Hampton Street School will host Supermarket Bingo on Saturday, March 1 at 11:45 a.m. at 10 Hampton St. in Mineola.
The Irish American Society of Nassau Suffolk and Queens will hold its 64th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade will begin on Sunday, March 2 at 1 p.m. behind the Nassau County Court House off Old Country Road in Mineola. It will proceed up Mineola Boulevard to Jericho Turnpike and end at Jericho Turnpike and Willis Avenue. The Grand Marshal is Sean Treanor in 2014 and his aides are Kit Smith, Teresa Gallagher, Mike Byrne and Donal Mahoney. For more information, call 516-746-9392.
The Jackson Avenue School PTA will meet on Monday, March 3 at 7:30 p.m. at 300 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Mineola School District will host Choral Night on Wednesday, March 5 at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
Mineola High School will host an all-day blood drive on Thursday, March 6 at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Mineola.
Mineola Middle School at 200 Emory Rd. in Mineola will host International Night on Friday, March 7 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
The Village of East Williston will hold a board meeting on Monday, March 10 at 8 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place.
The Book Club of the East Williston Library will discuss City Boy by Herman Wouk on Tuesday, March 11 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. City Boy spins a hilarious and often touching tale of an urban kid’s adventures and misadventures on the street, in school, in the countryside, always in pursuit of Lucille, a heartless redhead personifying all the girls who torment and fascinate pubescent lads of eleven.
VFW Post 5253 at 155 Searington Road in Albertson is celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with a dinner-dance on Sunday, March 16, from 3 to 7 p.m. Tickets are $40 per person, and there will be an open bar, a corned beef and cabbage buffet, including soda bread, and coffee and dessert. Live music is also on tap. Reservations are required. Contact Charles Wohlgemuth at 516-326-1243.
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day on Monday March, 17.
The Mineola Chamber of Commerce will hold a meeting on Tuesday, March 18 at 6 p.m. in Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Tpke. in Mineola.
The Mineola High School class of 1964 is holding its 50th reunion on Sept. 13 at the Marriott Hotel in Melville. Contact Marilyn Vokoun at 631-277-6353 for more information.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Friday, 07 March 2014 00:00
After two denials by John and Theresa Muzio, the Village of East Williston finally inspected 8 Sumter Ave. recently, officials confirmed. The property has been the subject of controversy and public criticism, resulting in numerous hearings and court proceedings.
The village tried to inspect the house on Jan. 14 and 31. The Muzios thwarted their entry each time, calling the police.
“They’re persecuting me,” Muzio said. “They’re harassing me and they destroyed my house. My house froze up since it’s had no heat since 2009. They need a court order before [demolishing the house].”
Thursday, 06 March 2014 00:00
CBS drama Person of Interest filmed in Mineola on Tuesday, Feb. 25 near the Nassau County Legislature.
The show was shooting at the corner of Franklin Avenue and 15th Street in Mineola at around 1:45 p.m. Nassau County police were diverting traffic north and east away from the set.
Thursday, 06 March 2014 00:00
This is the year the program has been waiting for. Head Coach Helms Bohringer, now in his 17th season at Mineola High School, is looking forward to having eight returning seniors from the 2013 varsity baseball team. That squad finished with seven wins, an improvement over the previous year.
The Mustangs have a program that is trending upward and Bohringer is excited for the prospects of this squad.
Thursday, 06 March 2014 00:00
Children, teens and adults competed in the recent Winter 2014 Martial Arts Tournament at Charles Water Karate & Fitness in Williston Park.
Williston Park: Mario Lombardo-first place
Williston Park: Gavin Boylan - third place
Williston Park: Gavin Lee - Medal Winner
Matthew Gavagan – Medal Winner