Thursday, 27 February 2014 00:00
Junior Parent Night - February 26
Joint Concert - February 27
Supermarket Bingo - March 1
Chat about your garden experience with local gardeners at Clark Botanic Garden at 193 I.U. Willets Rd. in Albertson on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 1 p.m. Fee is $5 for members and $8 for non-members. Pre-registration is required. Call Maria Morgan at 516-484-8603.
Mineola High School will host Junior Parent Night on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. The guidance department will hold a presentation.
SendOutCards will host an Opportunity/Distributor Training event in LaunchPad Long Island at 55 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola on Thursday, Feb. 27. Distributors are asked for $10 each to cover the room fees and guests are free. Tickets can be purchased at tinyurl.com/mxubt97. For more information, call Mark Dana at 718-874-6536.
The East Williston School District will host a joint concert of the Wheatley School and the Long Island Philharmonic on Thursday, Feb. 27 at 7:30 p.m. in Wheatley Auditorium at 11 Bacon Rd., in Old Westbury.
The Jackson Avenue School’s fourth-grade movie night will occur on Friday, Feb. 28.
The Hampton Street School will host Supermarket Bingo on Saturday, March 1 at 11:45 a.m. at 10 Hampton St. in Mineola.
The Irish American Society of Nassau Suffolk and Queens will hold its 64th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade will begin on Sunday, March 2 at 1 p.m. behind the Nassau County Court House off Old Country Road in Mineola. It will proceed up Mineola Boulevard to Jericho Turnpike and end at Jericho Turnpike and Willis Avenue. The Grand Marshal is Sean Treanor in 2014 and his aides are Kit Smith, Teresa Gallagher, Mike Byrne and Donal Mahoney. For more information, call 516-746-9392.
The Jackson Avenue School PTA will meet on Monday, March 3 at 7:30 p.m. at 300 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Mineola School District will host Choral Night on Wednesday, March 5 at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
Mineola High School will host an all-day blood drive on Thursday, March 6 at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Mineola.
Mineola Middle School at 200 Emory Rd. in Mineola will host International Night on Friday, March 7 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
The Village of East Williston will hold a board meeting on Monday, March 10 at 8 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place.
The Book Club of the East Williston Library will discuss City Boy by Herman Wouk on Tuesday, March 11 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. City Boy spins a hilarious and often touching tale of an urban kid’s adventures and misadventures on the street, in school, in the countryside, always in pursuit of Lucille, a heartless redhead personifying all the girls who torment and fascinate pubescent lads of eleven.
VFW Post 5253 at 155 Searington Road in Albertson is celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with a dinner-dance on Sunday, March 16, from 3 to 7 p.m. Tickets are $40 per person, and there will be an open bar, a corned beef and cabbage buffet, including soda bread, and coffee and dessert. Live music is also on tap. Reservations are required. Contact Charles Wohlgemuth at 516-326-1243.
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day on Monday March, 17.
The Mineola Chamber of Commerce will hold a meeting on Tuesday, March 18 at 6 p.m. in Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Tpke. in Mineola.
The Mineola High School class of 1964 is holding its 50th reunion on Sept. 13 at the Marriott Hotel in Melville. Contact Marilyn Vokoun at 631-277-6353 for more information.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Saturday, 20 September 2014 00:00
Senator Jack Martins discussed education, business and drug use among other topics in a an exclusive interview with this newspaper and FiOS 1 News. He’s currently seeking re-election in November, being challenged by Democrat Adam Haber. Pointing to what he called “key legislation,” particularly the tax cap legislation passed in 2011 and prescription drug bill he helped shepherd to enactment, Martins feels New York State is on track to continue fiscal responsibility.
“In these last four years, we’ve had four balanced budgets, we’ve cut taxes working together, we have paid off debt, streamlined government, kept spending below 2 percent each one of those years,” Martins said.
Friday, 19 September 2014 00:00
A contingent of 80 Mineola runners embarked on their first trek to lower Manhattan last year for the Tunnel To Towers 5K Run through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel toward the World Trade Center site. This year, the United Mavericks, a networking group of local business people that support local charities and causes, are gearing up surpass that number.
Mavericks reps say they’re half way to gathering 1,000 people to run in the event’s 13th year on Saturday, Sept. 28.
The run honors a fireman Stephen Siller, who was enjoying a day off planning to play golf before he learned the Twin Towers were hit by two airplanes during the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. He was one of the 343 firefighters who died when the towers collapsed.
Thursday, 18 September 2014 00:00
Though it had already hosted the series of lacrosse games during the regular season this past spring, Chaminade High School’s new Gold Star Stadium was officially christened on Saturday, Sept. 6, named in honor of the 56 alumni who had perished during combat.
“Tradition holds that when one dies in the service a gold star is given to the family,” said Chaminade President Bro. Thomas Cleary. “Our 56 Gold Star Alumni are honored for their selflessness, courage, and integrity.”
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Although the expectations for the 2014 Mineola Mustangs boy’s varsity soccer season may be somewhat measured, the team enters the season with the goal of a berth in the Nassau County playoffs. The team is young and inexperienced but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There is considerable talent on the horizon. There are only four starting seniors and five sophomores on the roster. Four year starting senior forward Daniel Pardo returns (19 goals in three seasons) as does senior standout goalkeeper Andrew Pereira.