Thursday, 27 February 2014 00:00
Junior Parent Night - February 26
Joint Concert - February 27
Supermarket Bingo - March 1
Chat about your garden experience with local gardeners at Clark Botanic Garden at 193 I.U. Willets Rd. in Albertson on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 1 p.m. Fee is $5 for members and $8 for non-members. Pre-registration is required. Call Maria Morgan at 516-484-8603.
Mineola High School will host Junior Parent Night on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. The guidance department will hold a presentation.
SendOutCards will host an Opportunity/Distributor Training event in LaunchPad Long Island at 55 Mineola Blvd. in Mineola on Thursday, Feb. 27. Distributors are asked for $10 each to cover the room fees and guests are free. Tickets can be purchased at tinyurl.com/mxubt97. For more information, call Mark Dana at 718-874-6536.
The East Williston School District will host a joint concert of the Wheatley School and the Long Island Philharmonic on Thursday, Feb. 27 at 7:30 p.m. in Wheatley Auditorium at 11 Bacon Rd., in Old Westbury.
The Jackson Avenue School’s fourth-grade movie night will occur on Friday, Feb. 28.
The Hampton Street School will host Supermarket Bingo on Saturday, March 1 at 11:45 a.m. at 10 Hampton St. in Mineola.
The Irish American Society of Nassau Suffolk and Queens will hold its 64th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade will begin on Sunday, March 2 at 1 p.m. behind the Nassau County Court House off Old Country Road in Mineola. It will proceed up Mineola Boulevard to Jericho Turnpike and end at Jericho Turnpike and Willis Avenue. The Grand Marshal is Sean Treanor in 2014 and his aides are Kit Smith, Teresa Gallagher, Mike Byrne and Donal Mahoney. For more information, call 516-746-9392.
The Jackson Avenue School PTA will meet on Monday, March 3 at 7:30 p.m. at 300 Jackson Ave. in Mineola.
The Mineola School District will host Choral Night on Wednesday, March 5 at 7 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
Mineola High School will host an all-day blood drive on Thursday, March 6 at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Mineola.
Mineola Middle School at 200 Emory Rd. in Mineola will host International Night on Friday, March 7 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
The Village of East Williston will hold a board meeting on Monday, March 10 at 8 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place.
The Book Club of the East Williston Library will discuss City Boy by Herman Wouk on Tuesday, March 11 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. City Boy spins a hilarious and often touching tale of an urban kid’s adventures and misadventures on the street, in school, in the countryside, always in pursuit of Lucille, a heartless redhead personifying all the girls who torment and fascinate pubescent lads of eleven.
VFW Post 5253 at 155 Searington Road in Albertson is celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with a dinner-dance on Sunday, March 16, from 3 to 7 p.m. Tickets are $40 per person, and there will be an open bar, a corned beef and cabbage buffet, including soda bread, and coffee and dessert. Live music is also on tap. Reservations are required. Contact Charles Wohlgemuth at 516-326-1243.
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day on Monday March, 17.
The Mineola Chamber of Commerce will hold a meeting on Tuesday, March 18 at 6 p.m. in Piccola Bussola at 159 Jericho Tpke. in Mineola.
The Mineola High School class of 1964 is holding its 50th reunion on Sept. 13 at the Marriott Hotel in Melville. Contact Marilyn Vokoun at 631-277-6353 for more information.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
Saturday, 25 October 2014 00:00
Way before Home Depot or Ace Hardware came into existence, there were little mom-and-pop shops like Munder’s True Value on Hillside Avenue in Williston Park. The hardware store, which opened its doors in 1948, is somewhat of a suburban dinosaur having outlasted several other hardware stores in the area.
“My father, Charles, opened this store in 1948 after returning home from World War II,” said Bill Munder, who took over the store operation seven years ago. “His parents wanted to know his plans after he returned home from the marines and he decided to open this store on Hillside Avenue.”
Friday, 24 October 2014 00:00
The debate over New York State Common Core standards continues, with students from the Mineola School District showing a mild resistance to the exams.
According to the New York State Allies for Public Education, Mineola had some of the lowest numbers, with eight students opting out of the English Language Arts test. However, not a single Mineola student missed the math test. In East Williston, the opt out rates were 75 students in ELA and 60 in math.
Thursday, 23 October 2014 00:00
The New York Cosmos hosted the Mineola Athletic Association’s Soccer Club recently for its penultimate fall 2014 home game. More than 140 members of the MAA soccer club and their families came out on a chilly October evening to show their love of the game. Twenty-two Mineola boys and girls had the honor of escorting the New York Cosmos and Ottawa Fury players onto the field in the traditional “Walk of Champions.”
The Mineola spirit must have inspired the home team, as spectators enjoyed the exciting 2-1 Cosmos victory, with the game-winning goal coming in stoppage time.
Thursday, 23 October 2014 00:00
As a current member of the Mineola High School Varsity Soccer team, senior, Catherine Cunningham has been dominating the scoring for the Mustangs. She has 12 goals and two assists in the last seven games.
In her last week of play alone, she amassed six goals in just three games. As a captain for the last two years, Cunningham has been an All-Conference and All-Class player, leading her team to two victories so far this season.