Thursday, 20 February 2014 00:00
District Jazz Night - February 22
Irish Dinner Dance - February 23
SEPTA Meeting - February 24
The Village of East Williston’s Board of Zoning Appeals will meet on Thursday, Feb. 20 at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place.
The Mineola School District will host a Jazz Night, on Tuesday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m., in the Mineola High School Auditorium. Admission is free. Performers include the Mineola Middle School jazz band and the Mineola High School Big Band and jazz ensemble. Brian Lewis, owner of Lewis Music Store on Jericho Turnpike, is bringing his 12 piece professional New Vintage Orchestra to perform as a special guest artist.
The Irish American Society of Nassau, Suffolk and Queens will hold the Grand Marshal and Aides Dinner Dance on Sunday, Feb. 23 at 5 p.m. at its hall at 297 Willis Ave. The McLean Avenue Band will perform, with dinner from 5 to 6 p.m. and dancing from 6 to 10 p.m. It’s $60 per person.
Admission is by paid reservation only. For more information, call 516-742-8080. Sean Treanor will serve as the Grand Marshal of the St. Patrick’s Day on Sunday, March 2.
The American Legion Auxiliary Post 144 will host Grocery Bingo on Sunday, Feb. 23, from 2 to 5 p.m. at 730 Willis Ave. in Williston Park. An $8 donation gets you to one bingo board, one set of specials, coffee and cake. Raffle prizes also available. The building is wheelchair accessible. For additional information, please contact Ellen Randle at 516-270-3876.
The Mineola School District’s Special Education Parent Teachers Association will meet on Monday, Feb. 24 at 7:30 p.m. in Mineola High School at 10 Armstrong Rd. in Garden City Park.
The Village of East Williston will hold a budget meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 25 at 8 p.m. in Village Hall at 2 Prospect Place.
The Meadow Drive School PTA is offering Mad Science of Long Island, an after school enrichment program, on Tuesdays, Feb. 25; March 4 and 11 from 2:55 to 3:55 p.m. for K-2 students. Space is limited to 20 children and is available on a first come, first serve basis. For more information, cal 516-620-6768. To register, go to madscienceli.org
Chat about your garden experience with local gardeners at Clark Botanic Garden at 193 I.U. Willets Rd. in Albertson on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 1 p.m. Fee is $5 for members and $8 for non-members. Pre-registration is required. Call Maria Morgan at 516-484-8603.
Mineola High School will host Junior Parent Night on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 7 p.m. The guidance department will hold a presentation.
The Jackson Avenue School’s fourth grade movie night will occur on Friday, Feb. 28.
The Mineola High School class of 1964 is holding its 50th reunion on Sept. 13 at the Marriott Hotel in Melville. Contact Marilyn Vokoun at 631-277-6353 for more information.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 Of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
• Chemical Dependency Lecture Series. Seafield Outpatient Services, 110 Main St., Mineola, is offering a free, informative discussion series on Chemical Dependency and the Effects on the Family. It is held every Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 747-5644.
• Relapse Prevention Support Groups are held by the LI Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence on Tuesdays from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in its Williston Park Office, 207 Hillside Ave. Groups are facilitated by professional staff trained to help you or a loved one successfully transition from inpatient treatment back home or into a sober living environment. Aftercare and support following substance abuse treatment is an essential part of maintaining sobriety and creating a strong foundation for recovery. Call Jeffrey L. Reynolds 747-2606, ext. 12 or Steve Chassman, ext. 17.
• Gam-Anon Support Group holds an anonymous meeting for spouses, adult children over 18, family and friends of those whose lives have been affected by a gambling problem. Held on Thursdays at Temple Emanuel, Hillside Ave., New Hyde Park at 8 p.m. For more information call the 24-hour hotline: 631-321-2883.
• The Mineola Historical Society meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7:30 p.m. in its headquarters at 211 Westbury Avenue, Mineola. For more info, contact the historical society at
516-746-6722. Ask for Neil, Mike or Tom.
Friday, 18 April 2014 00:00
Road improvement and storm preparation dominated the discussion of the Village of Mineola’s preliminary 2014-15 budget released last week. The proposed budget totals $19.33 million, a 1.38 percent increase from last year.
The tentative budget also represents a .34 percent tax increase from last year, when Mineola’s tax bump was .74 percent.
The village has budgeted almost $1 million for road and curb upgrades, Mayor Scott Strauss estimated. The road maintenance line in the budget received an $80,000 to increase to $580,000.
Thursday, 17 April 2014 00:00
An April 7 fire in a second-floor apartment at 98 Mineola Blvd.—which also houses Wong’s Noodle House—was sparked by unsanctioned plumbing work, Mineola officials revealed last week.
According to Village Building Superintendent Dan Whalen, the building owner, 104 Mineola Blvd. LLC, did not have the required permits to do plumbing work on file. Arcadio Matias, superintendent of the building, could not be reached for comment. The building department is notifying Matias and his workers, both of who will appear before the village court some time in May.
The Mineola Fire Department received the call at noon and rushed to the scene. “The fire didn’t spread far,” MFD Chief Jeff Clark said. “Luckily no one was hurt.”
Thursday, 17 April 2014 00:00
The BU10 FC Mineola opened league play with 3-0 win over the Hewlett Lawrence Blue Sonic on April 3. Mineola was led by Liam Going (two goals and an assist). The first goal came off a beautiful cross from Liam Russelman that Going sent to the back of the net. Fifteen minutes later the Liam to Liam connection struck again when Russelman found Going open at the top of the box for another shot and score by the talented Mineola player.
Mineola’s final goal came midway through the second half as Gregory Kenney redirected a good cross past the Hewlett goalie. The back line of Peter Murphy, Luke Sommese and Brent Muessig controlled the defensive end of the field limiting the number of shots Hewlett took on goal and the few that made it through were gobbled up by keeper Andrew Pizzardi. Brian Heckelman, Phil Macchietto and James Teadore all contributed with stellar play at the midfield position.
Thursday, 17 April 2014 00:00
Senior Captain Marissa Cotroneo excelled at the Paul Limmer Invitation on Saturday, April 5, held at Mepham High School. Cotroneo placed first overall in the 1500 meters in one of the most exciting, come from behind victories of the season.