Thursday, 23 January 2014 00:00
Chorus Concert - January 23
Zoning Meeting - January 23
Winter Concert - January 30
The East Williston School District will hold its fourth grade chorus concert on Thursday, Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. at the Wheatley School auditorium at 11 Bacon Road in Old Westbury.
The Village of Mineola Board of Zoning Appeals will hold its meeting on Thursday, Jan. 23 at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave.
The Hampton Street School will hold International Night on Friday, Jan. 24. at 6:30 p.m.
Have lunch with Rabbi Perl at Chabad of Mineola on Wednesday, Jan. 29 from 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. at 261 Willis Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District will hold its sixth-and seventh-grade concert on Thursday, Jan. 30 at 7 p.m. in the Willets Road School gymatorium.
The Mineola Booster Club is sponsoring the 12th Annual Mustang Stakes Fundraiser on Saturday, Feb. 1 from 7 to 11 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus, 186 Jericho Tpke. in Mineola. Cost is $30 per person. Make checks payable to Mineola Athletics Booster Club and mail them to Susan Iadevaio at 35 Violet Ave., Mineola, NY 11501.
The Mineola School District will host a Jazz Night, on Wednesday, Feb. 5 at 7 p.m., in the Mineola High School Auditorium. Admission is free.
Performers include the Mineola Middle School jazz band and the Mineola High School Big Band and jazz ensemble. Brian Lewis, owner of Lewis Music Store on Jericho Turnpike, is bringing his 12 piece professional New Vintage Orchestra to perform as a special guest artist.
County Seat Kiwanis will hold a its Super Bowl Sunday Pancake Breakfast on Sunday, Feb. 2, from 8 a.m. to noon at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave.
The Mineola High School class of 1964 is holding its 50th reunion on Sept. 13, 2014 at the Marriott Hotel in Melville. Contact Marilyn Vokoun at 631-277-6353 for more info.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 Of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
Saturday, 25 October 2014 00:00
Way before Home Depot or Ace Hardware came into existence, there were little mom-and-pop shops like Munder’s True Value on Hillside Avenue in Williston Park. The hardware store, which opened its doors in 1948, is somewhat of a suburban dinosaur having outlasted several other hardware stores in the area.
“My father, Charles, opened this store in 1948 after returning home from World War II,” said Bill Munder, who took over the store operation seven years ago. “His parents wanted to know his plans after he returned home from the marines and he decided to open this store on Hillside Avenue.”
Friday, 24 October 2014 00:00
The debate over New York State Common Core standards continues, with students from the Mineola School District showing a mild resistance to the exams.
According to the New York State Allies for Public Education, Mineola had some of the lowest numbers, with eight students opting out of the English Language Arts test. However, not a single Mineola student missed the math test. In East Williston, the opt out rates were 75 students in ELA and 60 in math.
Thursday, 23 October 2014 00:00
The New York Cosmos hosted the Mineola Athletic Association’s Soccer Club recently for its penultimate fall 2014 home game. More than 140 members of the MAA soccer club and their families came out on a chilly October evening to show their love of the game. Twenty-two Mineola boys and girls had the honor of escorting the New York Cosmos and Ottawa Fury players onto the field in the traditional “Walk of Champions.”
The Mineola spirit must have inspired the home team, as spectators enjoyed the exciting 2-1 Cosmos victory, with the game-winning goal coming in stoppage time.
Thursday, 23 October 2014 00:00
As a current member of the Mineola High School Varsity Soccer team, senior, Catherine Cunningham has been dominating the scoring for the Mustangs. She has 12 goals and two assists in the last seven games.
In her last week of play alone, she amassed six goals in just three games. As a captain for the last two years, Cunningham has been an All-Conference and All-Class player, leading her team to two victories so far this season.