Thursday, 23 January 2014 00:00
Chorus Concert - January 23
Zoning Meeting - January 23
Winter Concert - January 30
The East Williston School District will hold its fourth grade chorus concert on Thursday, Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. at the Wheatley School auditorium at 11 Bacon Road in Old Westbury.
The Village of Mineola Board of Zoning Appeals will hold its meeting on Thursday, Jan. 23 at 7:30 p.m. in Village Hall at 155 Washington Ave.
The Hampton Street School will hold International Night on Friday, Jan. 24. at 6:30 p.m.
Have lunch with Rabbi Perl at Chabad of Mineola on Wednesday, Jan. 29 from 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. at 261 Willis Ave. in Mineola.
The East Williston School District will hold its sixth-and seventh-grade concert on Thursday, Jan. 30 at 7 p.m. in the Willets Road School gymatorium.
The Mineola Booster Club is sponsoring the 12th Annual Mustang Stakes Fundraiser on Saturday, Feb. 1 from 7 to 11 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus, 186 Jericho Tpke. in Mineola. Cost is $30 per person. Make checks payable to Mineola Athletics Booster Club and mail them to Susan Iadevaio at 35 Violet Ave., Mineola, NY 11501.
The Mineola School District will host a Jazz Night, on Wednesday, Feb. 5 at 7 p.m., in the Mineola High School Auditorium. Admission is free.
Performers include the Mineola Middle School jazz band and the Mineola High School Big Band and jazz ensemble. Brian Lewis, owner of Lewis Music Store on Jericho Turnpike, is bringing his 12 piece professional New Vintage Orchestra to perform as a special guest artist.
County Seat Kiwanis will hold a its Super Bowl Sunday Pancake Breakfast on Sunday, Feb. 2, from 8 a.m. to noon at Mineola Village Hall, located at 155 Washington Ave.
The Mineola High School class of 1964 is holding its 50th reunion on Sept. 13, 2014 at the Marriott Hotel in Melville. Contact Marilyn Vokoun at 631-277-6353 for more info.
• Boy Scout Troop 200 Of Williston Park meets every Monday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at St. John’s Lutheran Church located at Willis Ave. and Winthrop St., Williston Park. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Mineola Choral Society meets every Monday at 8 p.m. in Mineola High School, Armstrong Rd., Garden City Park. New voices are welcome. For more information call 294-1175.
• Nassau Chess Club meets each Monday evening at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola, First and Main Sts. For more information call 631-218-4440.
• Boy Scout Troop 45 of Mineola meets every Tuesday between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Mineola located at First and Main Sts. Boys 11 to 17 are welcome to join.
• Leisure Club Of Mineola meets Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Mineola Community Center, Washington Ave. For more information, call 741-8747.
• Irish American Society Social gatherings every Monday at the Irish American Center, 297 Willis Ave., Mineola, from noon to 3 p.m. In the tradition and mission of the Irish American Society, we are here to make all welcome and be part of the local community. Bring lunch. Coffee and tea will be served. Play cards, board games or just sit and socialize. A film once a month. Ladies and gents welcome. Free to all. Call Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 746-9392 or 742-8080.
Saturday, 13 September 2014 00:00
A bunch of fruit in a bowl may not be that exciting to look at, that is unless you’re looking at them from Nancy Colleary’s point of view. Through her still life paintings, the she explores shadows, colors and light to make the most ordinary objects appear beautiful.
From her in-home studio, she continues to hold classes and work on her own projects, which includes paintings that are on display at Walk Street in Garden City and Chef’s Corner in Mineola.
Friday, 12 September 2014 00:00
Former Nassau County Comptroller Howard Weitzman is set for a new job, as a financial consultant to the Town of North Hempstead. Weitzman, who served as Nassau County comptroller for two terms from 2001 to 2008, told the Anton Newspapers that he will concentrate on preparing the town’s 2015 budget.
Weitzman’s contract will then be retroactive to Aug. 26 after its town boad approval. The draft of the budget is due by Sept. 28.
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Although the expectations for the 2014 Mineola Mustangs boy’s varsity soccer season may be somewhat measured, the team enters the season with the goal of a berth in the Nassau County playoffs. The team is young and inexperienced but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
There is considerable talent on the horizon. There are only four starting seniors and five sophomores on the roster. Four year starting senior forward Daniel Pardo returns (19 goals in three seasons) as does senior standout goalkeeper Andrew Pereira.
Thursday, 11 September 2014 00:00
Mineola resident Michael Patalano of Andrews Road was named one two captains on the Kellenberg Memorial High School varsity football team recently. He played for the Mineola Chiefs for five years, which prepared him for football at the next level. He has three younger sisters. Two of them play sports for the Mineola Mustangs.