Friday, 31 July 2009 00:00
The 2008-09 school year was, to say the least, another fantastic year for the Massapequa High School sports program.
Recently, the athletic department issued some of the highlights from the year, which included, among many other sterling achievements, the fourth consecutive Nassau County and Long Island Championship by the amazing varsity baseball squad.
Here are more highlights from the year:
• Each of Massapequa’s eight Spring Varsity teams earned the NYSPHSAA Scholar Team Award for having an average of 90 percent or better.
• Kevin Goldstein, a senior on the Boys Golf Team won the Section 8 Individual County Championship and qualified for the State Championship along with teammate Billy King.
• Sixty-eight massapequa Student-athletes earned honors as All American, All Long Island, All County, All Conference, All Division, or All Class in their respective sports.
• Congratulations to Rob Von Bargen and Dana Disimile, winners of the Coaches Trophy, voted on by the Massapequa coaching staff.
• Congratulations to James Nealis and Kim DeCesar, winners of the Superintendent’s Trophy, Massapequa Athletic Department’s highest honor.
As noted, the Boys Baseball squad, coached by Tom Sheedy, finished with a 22 and 8 overall record and won their fourth consecutive Nassau County and Long Island Championship. And here some notable achievements by team members:
• All County: Matt Hardy, Matt McCormick, Joe Lipari
• All Conference: Anthony Abruzzino, Vin Caesar, Ryan Scarisbrick
• All League: Mike Mauri, Greg Muller, Rob Veltre
• Playoff MVP: Ryan Scarisbrick
The Boys Lacrosse team, coached by Tim Radomski finished with an 8 and 8 overall record and 5 and 3 conference record and once again qualified for the Section 8 playoffs. Here are standouts from that talented squad:
• All County: Chris Aiello, Jason Rosenzweig, Eric Schneider
• Honorable Mention All County: James Burrows, Robert Enright
• All Conference: Thomas Considine, Sean Slattery, Ken Fundas, Robert Goeren, Michael Giambanco
• Unsung Hero: Dan Ebbecke
The Girls Lacrosse team, coached by Meghan Zimmer finished with a 9 and 2 conference record and overall record of 11 and 4. They advanced to the Nassau County championship game for the fifth consecutive year and lost to eventual state champion Farmingdale. The following are the stars from this fine squad:
• All American: Monica DeMario, Danielle Etrasco,
• All County: Monica DeMario, Danielle Etrasco, Kristen Mogavero, Jessica Romano
• Honorable Mention All County: Melanie Lynott, Megan Noone, Victoria Zorovich
• All Conference: Jacqueline Tierney
• Unsung Hero: Melissa Gaetano
• Scholar Athlete: Monica DeMario
The Girls Softball team, coached by Steve Donovan won the Conference 2 Championship with a record of 8 and 2 and overall record of 10 and 6. The team advanced to the quarter finals of the County playoffs. Here are some of their achievements from the championship year:
• Coach Steve Donovan was named Conference 2 Coach of the Year
• All County: Gina Moscatelli, Kelli Gong, Caitlyn Cummings
• All Conference: Kate Edwards, Kate Carmody, Alyssa Zinkiewicz
• Scholar Athlete: Victoria Shreve
The Girls Track team, coached by Mike Lisa finished undefeated with a record of 13 and 0 and won their first ever Conference championship and first ever Nassau County Championship. They also won their second consecutive Division championship. Congratulations to this great championship squad and their standout stars:
• NY State Championship Qualifier: Alysssa Sagona
• All County: Keri Marks, Paige McAtee, Kelly Burke, Meredith Dic, Lauren Kapplemon, Julianne Licari, Emily Marchini, Amanda Schmidt
• All Division: Keri Marks, Paige McAtee, Kelly Burke, Meredith Dic, Lauren Kapplemon, Emily Marchini, Alyssa Sagona, Caitlyn Krug, Courtney McMillan, Amanda Schmidt, Shannon McBrien, Rebecca Baldinger, Heather Sweeney
The Boys Track team, coached by Rich Degnan finished with a 9 and 4 record and finished in fourth place in the Section 8 Championship. They also finished in second place in the Conference 1 Championship.
• The team won the Conference 1 Sportsmanship award
• Congratulations to Penn Relay participants Joe Caraciolo, Rob Brower, Eric Wong and Nick DeLuna
• NY State Championship Qualifiers: Rob Brower
• All County: Mike Spurrell, Andrew Valenski, Rob Brower
• All Division: Andrew Valenski, Bryan Buttigieg, Eric Wong, Mike Dioguardi, Mike Spurrell, Joe Caraciolo, Rob Brower, John Doria, Nick DeLuna
• Nassau Coaches Award: Billy King
The Boys Tennis squad, coached by Mike Pavlides finished with a record of 7 and 5. Here are their top performers:
• Derrick Wells, TJ Bilski, Ryan Musalo and Matt Masiello qualified for the Nassau County Tournament
• All Conference: Derrick Wells
• All Division: Derrick Wells, Andrew Prafder, Dave Ruberti
• Sportsmanship Award: Mattthew Masiello
The Boys Volleyball team, coached by Steve Mariano finished with a 13 and 3 conference record and 15 and 4 overall record. The team advanced to the semi-finals of the County playoffs. Here are highlights from a great year.
• The team finished in 1st place in the St. Anthony’s Tournament
• All County: Brian Smith, PJ Perischetti
• All Conference: Vincent Delgiudice, Robert Kryger, Jody DeRoy
• Nassau County All Tournament Team: Brian Smith, PJ Perischetti.
The athletic department and the school district all look forward to another great year by Massapequa’s scholar-athletes in 2009-2010.