Written by Joe Scotchie: firstname.lastname@example.org Friday, 18 May 2012 00:00
In February, local residents traveled to Seaford to rally for the reopening of the Tackapausha Museum. At the rally, Bob Dwyer and Eileen Krieb, both deputy commissioners with the Nassau County Department of Parks told those gathered that they hoped to reopen the museum in the spring. And the county did come through as the reopening ceremonies took place on Saturday, April 21 at museum headquarters, 2225 Washington Ave. in Seaford.
The museum had been closed since December 2011 for renovations and local residents were so anxious to have the museum reopened that some of them formed a committee, Friends of Tackapausha Preserve.
At the February rally, that committee identified its purpose of not only seeing the museum reopened, but also working as volunteers in partnership with Nassau County officials to provide programming and educational education for museum and preserve visitors. Friends of Tackapausha received its inspiration from the longtime organization, the Friends of Massapequa Preserve. And so two of its members, President Richard Schary and Lisa Schary, also a Friends of Tackapausha board member, spoke at the rally.
In addition, the rally included local residents who noted all experiences the preserve has had to offer during its six decades in existence. That included those who worked on Cub Scout or Eagle Scout projects at the preserve, class trips that took in school or of their connection to the birds, animals and exhibits in the museum and to the plants, ponds, and wildlife in the preserve.
Also in attendance was Dr. Betty Borowsky, a member of the South Shore Audubon Society and a Friends board member, spoke of the many successful environmental programs and events that South Shore had provided to Tackapausha over the years, all provided under their Adopt-A-Park agreement with the county. And with the museum now reopened, such programs and events will have a chance to take place once again in the future.
The county first purchased the land where the preserve stands in 1938. It is named for Chief Tackapausha of the Massapequa Band of Algonkian-speaking peoples. According to what has been written by the Dutch leaders, Chief Tackapausha sold the land to them in 1643, even though disputes about the entire ownership of the land lasted for years. Currently, Tackapausha Preserve encompasses 84 acres, which includes a 3,000-ft. museum offering a brief history of ecological life on Long Island, along with animal exhibits and shows for children. The plant life includes flowering dogwoods, hemlocks, hickory and mountain laurel. According to county officials, there are 170 bird species on the preserve, with other mammals including raccoon, muskrat, gray squirrel and opossum.