The Seventh Precinct reported the details of three aided cases due to carbon monoxide that occurred in Massapequa on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:55 a.m. According to detectives, three male victims, ages 20, 21, and 22, were asleep inside their recreational vehicle, parked in the Sunrise Mall parking lot located at 850 Sunrise Mall, when they began to feel ill from carbon monoxide poisoning. The generator on board was apparently not ventilated properly, causing dangerous fumes to enter the sleeping area. Nassau County Police Ambulance with the assistance of the Massapequa Fire Department transported all three victims to a local hospital for evaluation and treatment. Injuries are not life-threatening.
The owner who decided to move the New York Islanders off Long Island once its lease expires in June 2015 may play a role in filling the potential void left by the teams’ departure. County Executive Edward P. Mangano, developer Bruce Ratner, Isles owner Charles Wang and Don Monti of Renaissance Downtown think they have a plan in place to solve the developmental conundrum that is the Hub, which includes Nassau Coliseum.
The group announced a strategic “Reuse Plan” on Tuesday, Nov. 20 that reportedly will transform the Coliseum within the first half of 2013. Others have tried and failed where Ratner is venturing and the 77-acre site in Uniondale could become barren in three years once Wang departs for Brooklyn’s Barclays Center.
However, Mangouranes was fortunate. Power was returned to the restaurant he is a co-owner of rather quickly. That night The Good Life was buzzing, as it was one of the few establishments with electricity, and was therefore able to open for business. Residents of Massapequa, Massapequa Park and surrounding communities descended on the restaurant hoping to enjoy a hot meal, good conversation, a warm place to stay for an hour or so, and perhaps most importantly, the chance to escape the devastation that the storm had left in its wake.
The Plainedge Board of Education is now accepting applications to fill the current vacancy on the board. The individual who is appointed will serve through June 20, 2013. In May, there will be an election in which voters of the Plainedge School District will choose a candidate for the position.
In the first domino to fall in the aftermath of the public’s frustration with the efforts of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) to restore power to its customers following Hurricane Sandy, chief operating officer (COO) Michael D. Hervey has resigned his position effective Dec. 31.
“Mike has provided 12 years of valuable service to LIPA, including taking on the responsibility to perform the functions of CEO of the organization over the past two years,” said Chairman of the Long Island Power Authority Howard E. Steinberg. “Mike has played a leadership role in connection with the planned structural changes at LIPA going forward which will result in better service and accountability to LIPA’s customers in the years ahead.”
They rode into town in electrical repair trucks, but to the many who were desperate to have their power restored, they were knights in shining armor who rode in on white horses. They were the out-of-state utility workers, who came to the area to help LIPA repair the damage that was caused by Hurricane Sandy. While most Long Islanders were living in the misery of powerless homes without heat, the workers who came to help were not living in the most luxurious of accommodations. Most of them left their wives and children behind to come to the Island to help out. Although cots were set up at LIU Post and other facilities, many of the workers slept in their trucks.
Their sacrifice has not gone unnoticed. Mike Magee, a lieutenant with the Hicksville Fire Department, came across workers from J.F. Electric, a company from southern Illinois, near St. Louis, that according to its website, “provides electrical design and construction services to utility, commercial, industrial and communications customers.” As the workers fixed a pole, Magee asked them if they needed a shower or a meal and they responded that they were sleeping in their trucks.
However, this year’s elections will be more remembered for the circumstances under which they were held. With Hurricane Sandy having hit the island the week prior to Election Day, many residents were dealing with the power outages, or the outright destruction of their homes by the storm. Those who were elected did not express tremendous joy at their victories as concern for the victims of the hurricane took precedence.
“As a community-based agency, we feel a very strong responsibility to do whatever we can,” said Jamie Bogenshutz, executive director of YES.
On Sunday, October 28, The North Massapequa Fire Department held their 38th Annual Children’s Rag-A-Muffin Costume Parade. As a long-standing tradition, this event serves as a great opportunity allowing local residents, merchants, and members of the fire department to get together and celebrate the upcoming holiday of Halloween.
Beginning at noon, the parade started at the corner of North Nassau Avenue and North Broadway, and finished at the firehouse. There, gifts including bicycles, gift certificates, and iPods were raffled off to children who participated in the costume contest. Registration for the event was free, and made possible thanks to the generous donations of local residents and members of the Massapequa community. The Rag-A-Muffin Parade was also made possible through the hard work and dedication of the events chairman, Ralph Raymond.
Page 19 of 59<< Start < Prev 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next > End >>