Friday, 19 April 2013 00:00
The Board of Trustees of the Plainedge Public Library will meet at the Library at 7 p.m.
Bill Thieben, country music singer and storyteller, will perform Saturday April 20 at 7 p.m. in St. David’s Lutheran Church’s Fellowship Hall to benefit the church and preschool. Admission is $10 per adult, $5 for students, and $25 for families of four or more. For more information, call 516-799-5824
The Plainedge School District is inviting real estate professionals in the community to discuss the latest information about educational initiatives, new programs, business issues, and short- and long-term goals of the district. The program will provide an overview of the district and assist in providing information to prospective homebuyers. For more information call Teresa McCarthy at 516-992-7457. The breakfast begins at 10 a.m.
• Scrabble: The Massapequa Public Library offers “Brain Aerobics,” a Scrabble game, every Monday at 11 a.m. at its Bar Harbour location. Registration is not required but participants should bring their own game. All levels are welcome.
•The Scrabble Club: Meets on Thursdays from 12:15 to 3:15 p.m. at the Plainedge Library, 1060 Hicksville Rd., Massapequa. All ages. Scrabble players wanted. Call Judy 827-9506
• Senior Discussion Group: The Massapequa Public Library will host “Let’s Talk,” a weekly discussion group for seniors on Fridays at 1 p.m. at its Bar Harbour location. Light refreshments will be served.
• Chess Club: The Chess Club meets at the Bar Harbour location of the Massapequa Public Library from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m.
• Massapequa Senior Citizens Center: The center is located in the back of McKenna School on Second Ave. and Spruce St. in Massapequa Park. Meetings are Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The center offers luncheons, day trips, arts and crafts, painting, speakers, stretch and relaxation exercises and Chi Kung. The program is sponsored by S.D. #23. Call 308-5505.
• One-On-One Information And Referral Service for Massapequa and Massapequa Park residents: Topics include Medicare, local recreation, health insurance, nursing homes and assisted living. 10 a.m. to noon Mondays at the Massapequa Library, Bar Harbor (40 Harbor Ln. 799-0770) and Central Avenue (523 Central Ave. 798-4607) Buildings.
• Bingo: Every Tuesday 10:15 a.m. at the Massapequa Elks, 2162 Veterans Blvd., Massapequa. Progressive game, Line game. Call 798-2162.
• Bingo: Every Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at Beth Shalom Center of Amityville and the Massapequas, 79 County Line Rd., Amityville. 264-2891.
• Adoptive Moms Group: Covers the factors which influence your decision to adopt children, sources used for information, relationships with siblings and other family members, the first weeks at home, talking to the child about being adopted (how and when), issues that arise should the child want to meet his/her biological parents including: will you help in the search, how to go about getting information, how to handle the situation. 10 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesdays at the Massapequa Mothers’ Center, Church of St. Jude, 3606 Lufberry Ave., Wantagh. For information call 679-4641.
• Overeaters Anonymous: Are you a compulsive overeater? Under eater? Overeaters Anonymous can help. There are meetings on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon at St. Rose of Lima Church, 2 Bayview Ave., Massapequa. For information about the meeting call Nancy 798-2547 (between 7 and 9 p.m.) or Ed 845-5423.
• Camille’s Dance: Every Sunday from 7 to 11 p.m. at the Elks Club, Veterans Blvd., Massapequa. $14 includes snacks. Call 516-798-2162.
• The Massapequa Fire District: The district will hold its regular monthly meetings on the second and fourth Mondays of each month at 8 p.m. The board will also conduct monthly work sessions on the first, third and when applicable, fifth Monday of each month commencing at the same time. Meetings will take place at the district administration building located at 1 Brooklyn Avenue.
• Nassau County Aquarium Society: Meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the American Legion Hall, 66 Veterans Blvd., Massapequa. Free parking, free admission, guests welcome. Refreshments served. Junior members always welcome. Call Mike Foran 798-6766; Ken Smith 631-589-0913 or Brandie 631-473-4018.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #7763 Massapequa Park: Meets at 8 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month at 1012 Park Blvd. To become a member one had to serve overseas during conflict. Call 799-6758 or 796-8331.
• Massapequa Park Republican Club: Meets on the second Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus Hall, 2 East Gate Rd. (corner of Front St.) Massapequa Park.
• Massapequa Park Garden Club: Meets on the third Wednesday of the month at 8 p.m. at the Village Hall, Front St., Massapequa Park. Call 797-4899.
• St. Bernard’s W/W Interfaith Organization: General meeting at 8 to 11 p.m. at the Elks Club, 2612 Veterans Blvd., Massapequa. All are invited. Meetings are held on the second Thursday of the month. For further information contact Chris 631-842-6734.
• Dance Nights: Held on the first and fifth Friday of every month from 9 p.m. to midnight at Amityville American Legion Post 1015, 70 Elm St., Copiague. Call John 631-691-7490.
• American Veterans Post #88: Meets the second Friday of each month at 8 p.m. at 690 Broadway, Massapequa. Eligibility is open to active members of the armed forces and to all honorably discharged veterans. New members are welcome. AMVETS are veterans helping veterans and the community. For information call 798-9188.
• St. Bernard’s W/W Interfaith Organization Dance: Every fourth Friday at the Elks Club, Veterans Blvd., Massapequa, at 8 p.m. to midnight. $14. For further information call Chris 631-842-6734. New address and time.
• Networking For Referrals: A group of LI Professionals Networking (LIPNET) announces a bi-monthly schedule of networking for referrals in Massapequa. LI business people come together every other Friday at 7:45 a.m. at the Massapequa Diner, Sunrise Hwy. at Broadway (eastbound) for the purpose of meeting others to exchange business referrals. First two meetings free. $5 for breakfast. For reservations call 795-1223, ext. 42.