Oyster Bay Town Supervisor John Venditto is asking residents who reside in flood-prone areas of the town to participate in a survey as part of the town's initiative to receive federal funding to help residents with the cost of elevating their homes.
"The town recently submitted a letter of intent to apply for federal funding, which is being made available through the New York State Emergency Management Office (SEMO), to assist residents who want to elevate their homes to prevent property loss due to flooding and storm damage," Supervisor Venditto stated. "In order to apply for the funding, the town must submit a list of eligible homes.
"We are asking town residents who live in flood-prone areas, and, more important, want to have their homes elevated, to participate in this survey by picking up a form at the town clerk's office in either Town Hall North, 54 Audrey Avenue, Oyster Bay, or Town Hall South, 977 Hicksville Road, Massapequa," Supervisor Venditto continued. "Eligible homeowners must have a flood insurance policy under the National Flood Insurance Program and be willing to finance 25 percent of the cost of elevating their homes. If the town is approved for this grant funding, the program will pay the remaining 75 percent."
Completed surveys should be returned no later than Monday, Feb. 1, to Barry Bree, emergency management coordinator, Department of Public Works, 150 Miller Place, Syosset, NY, 11791. The supervisor noted that only residents of the unincorporated areas of the Town of Oyster Bay are eligible to participate in the survey. He added that funding for the program is dependent on the approval of the Federal Emergency Management Office (FEMA).
"Since I took office in January 1998, I have been actively seeking ways to bring some relief to residents who live in flood-prone areas," Supervisor Venditto stated. "Shortly after I took office, I established a Hazard/Flood Mitigation Committee for the purpose of developing a comprehensive flood plain management plan. Now that the plan has been adopted...it was approved by the town board on Jan. 5...the town is now eligible to apply for funding for various programs such as this one to elevate homes. I urge every resident who meets the criteria to participate in the survey so we can get financial assistance for those who would like to have their homes elevated."