Anton Community Newspapers  •  132 East 2nd Street  •  Mineola, NY 11501  •  Phone: 516-747-8282  •  FAX: 516-742-5867
Intended comprare kamagra senza ricetta company.
Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

1960s MHS Laxers Reunite With Coach Moran

In 1972, playwright Jason Miller surely captured a universal moment in his classic production, That Championship Season, when he memorably portrayed the reunion of a high school basketball team decades after winning the state tournament. Miller describes the coach’s delight in seeing his players and then their reaction:

“Coach. It’s so good.... the joy in my heart to feel you around me again…together again, can’t find words to say it….magnificent! My boys standing around me again! You were a legend in your time, boys, a legend. Never forget that, never.

GEORGE. We owe it all to you, coach. (Men ad-lib agreement.)”

Last month, this scene was essentially repeated at the Manhasset Bay Yacht Club when about 20 members of the 1963, 1964 and 1965 Manhasset Boys Varsity Lacrosse teams returned home for a unforgettable reunion with each other and their legendary coach Richie Moran. Now, all in their 60s, these men had been the athletes who created the Manhasset lacrosse dynasty. All three squads won the Nassau County title and the first two were victors in the Long Island championship game – with 1963 being the inaugural edition of that now-annual event. In those days, no state tournament existed and there were no classifications of schools into A, B and C divisions. They may have been the best lacrosse teams in the nation. However, in order to appreciate the enormity of their achievements, a little history is probably necessary.

Public school lacrosse on Long Island did not exist prior to 1933. Since the early 20th century, the game had been played on the high school level in the metropolitan area by a handful of New York City high schools in Brooklyn (e.g. Erasmus Hall, Alexander Hamilton) and a number of private schools such as Poly Prep and Peekskill Military Academy. In Connecticut, Stamford High School fielded a club.

Then, on April 5, 1933, Jason Stranahan, a 1930 graduate of Union College and a physical education teacher at Manhasset, launched the first public high school lacrosse team on the Island when the Indians defeated Brooklyn Poly Prep’s jayvee squad 8-4. Stranahan’s boys completed their short 1933 schedule with a 2-0 record (the other victory by 2-1 over the PSAL’s Manual Training of Brooklyn). And within two years, he had created a rival when he convinced his friend Jim Steen to start up a team at Garden City. A few years later, they were joined by next door neighbor Sewanhaka and, after World War II (which eradicated all PSAL lacrosse in the city), by Freeport and then Mineola. But, it was not until the mid and late ‘50’s that the sport finally began to experience true growth which was really jump-started when Huntington initiated Suffolk County’s first public high school varsity. By the early ’60s, there were about 20 schools fielding lax squads in Nassau and around half that out east.

From 1936 through 1960, all high school lacrosse competition was conducted under the auspices of the Metropolitan-Long Island Lacrosse Association. In the early years, it had been dominated by the Brooklyn-based institutions but, upon their demise during World War II, the public schools in Nassau County assumed leadership. From 1949 through 1959, only one team won the league championship—Sewanhaka. In fact, under legendary coach Bill Fitch, those other Indians established a still-standing national record when they won 91 straight games from 1948-1957. And despite Manhasset’s status as the initiator of the sport, our Indians had claimed only a pair of titles in their first three decades of lacrosse.

Therefore, in 1962, the district’s administrators decided to take a chance when they made 24-year-old Richie Moran the fourth lacrosse coach in school history. This was his first head coaching position but his pedigree was solid having played for Fitch at Sewanhaka, gone south to become a Maryland Terrapin and then on to a stint in the Marine Corps. Moran freely admitted to Newsday’s Joe Krupinski that he knew Manhasset lacrosse players had often been called “pansies and gold coast boys” plus he had been warned that he wouldn’t get anything out of them since “they were pampered and spoiled.” He believed none of that and was determined to change this reputation immediately.

Above all, it is essential to understand the legendary nature of tiny Manhasset High School’s athletic department in those days. The football coach was Ed Walsh, Jim Brown’s mentor. Fritz Mueller (on whom the TV series The White Shadow was based) helmed basketball with nationally renowned Al Dawson and was in charge of track and field. Of course, the founder Jason Stranahan remained to help out with the laxers. And when the young Moran led his charges to an 11-4 record (and a third place league finish) in 1962, the veteran coaches quickly realized that he was definitely one of them.

Despite fielding a small 19-man roster, 11 returning lettermen gave cause for much optimism as 1963 dawned. Unfortunately, the opening contest with Freeport tossed a bit of cold water on these high hopes as the stickmen dropped a 3-2 thriller (scores tended to be much lower back then) to the Red Devils, a strong club who eventually would miss the playoffs on a 3-way coin flip. Happily, MHS bounced back immediately with impressive victories over Sewanhaka (12-2, the first triumph over the perennial titleholders in 15 years), Suffolk champion-to-be Huntington (6-2) and the1961 Nassau winner – and 1962 runner-up – Mineola (11-4).

The Indians roared into the North Shore playoffs on a roll with 15 consecutive victories but, despite topping ancient rival Garden City 7-5 a few weeks previous, they found themselves down 4-2 at halftime of the semifinals. Only goaltender Buddy De Houst’s amazing total of 20 saves kept Moran’s kids in the game. Nonetheless, with 3 minutes left to play, the Trojans held a 9-7 advantage. Moran had taken a time-out and implored his charges to come alive as “it would be silly to go out on a losing note” after having won 15 consecutive games.

These were not the pre-Moran Indians who could be counted on to fold when it came to crunch time. All-county performers Garth Weber and Jack Heim quickly poured in goals to tie the score. Then, the Indians completed the blitz when the great Heim took a pass from fellow attackman Steve LaVaute and fired home the game winner with 1:30 left to play. It was 10-9 Manhasset.

After disposing of Mineola 7-3 in the North Shore finals, the scene was set for an Indian vs. Indian showdown for the Nassau County title with Manhasset meeting longtime tormentor Sewanhaka at Hofstra. Unlike the regular season encounter, which had resulted in a 12-2 runaway, the championship would prove to be a barn-burner. To complete the drama, Moran would be facing his former coach and guiding light since Bill Fitch had returned from a stint at Hofstra to lead the Sewanhaka stick-handlers once again.

It came down to the final excruciating seconds. Despite outshooting Sewanhaka 24-13, the score was deadlocked at 3 when superb Sewanaka goalie Richie Houghton drifted far out of his net to clear the ball. However, his ensuing pass was intercepted by midfielder Weber who then beat Houghton in a desperate race to the cage when he tossed the ball to LaVaute who flipped it in for the game-winning score. Now 4-3 Manhasset. As he put it at the reunion 46 years later, Weber gave full credit to Moran for his game winning play. “Coach made it all possible by working us so hard; by teaching us how not to lose. He turned me into a 40 minute midfielder–equally able to dominate on offense and defense.”

Still, it was probably a 5’4”, 128 pound defenseman (yes, defenseman) named Joe Capela who may have best epitomized the brilliance of Moran’s leadership. After the opening game loss to Freeport, the young coach came to Joe and suggested he switch from midfield to the backline. Even in those days, it was a shocking idea as Capela’s physical characteristics would have normally dictated that he was way too short and too light to defend against the big boys on offense. But, Moran wanted to take advantage of Capela’s superior foot speed, quickness of hand and stick as well as his extraordinary competitiveness. And the coach was right–oh so right. Not only was Joe an immediate success in his new position, he quickly was assigned to play the opponent’s top offensive threats and would repeatedly shut them down cold. Garden City coach Julie Silvestri called him “the best defenseman we’ve seen” and Newsday referred to Capela as “a leech.” Interestingly, an even finer tribute to Capela’s defensive prowess came after the 1963 season in the title contest of the renowned Jones Beach summer lacrosse league when he held Navy sophomore Jimmy Lewis scoreless and led his squad to victory. Who was Jimmy Lewis–just a three-time All-American and three-time collegiate player-of-the-year; widely regarded as the finest lacrosse player of the 1960’s.

The last hurdle of 1963 was the Long Island title game, which would crown the first official champion in the history of Nassau-Suffolk lacrosse. It would pit the most senior program in each county against each other – Manhasset versus Huntington.

After a deadlocked first half, the Indians dominated play for almost all the rest of the game to lead 6-3. A pair of last minute Blue Devil goals narrowed the final score to 6-5 but Manhasset held on to cop the prize. In an era without state tournaments or national rankings, it could be fairly surmised that the Indians’ 19-1 record with all their victories following an opening game defeat (and highlighted by multiple wins over powerful opponents such as Huntington, Sewanhaka, Garden City and Mineola) made them the finest team in the country. Only undefeated Maryland powers Baltimore Friends and Towson could be considered in their class. It was also impressive that, in a period before high school All-Americans existed, over half the starters earned places on the 40 man All-Scholastic squad: the aforementioned Weber, Heim (who set Long Island scoring records of 81 goals and 116 points) De Houst, Capela, LaVaute and a second defenseman, Larry Wechsler.

Then 1964 proved to be a virtual carbon copy of the previous campaign–despite widespread predictions that Heim’s graduation and a 17 man roster would make a repeat title most difficult. The season opened with Huntington exacting a measure of revenge for its loss in the previous spring’s Long Island championship by eking out a 4-3 opening game overtime triumph at the Suffolk school. Shades of Freeport in ’63.

Interestingly, who was the next opponent–none other than the aforementioned Freeport. And this time, it was the Indians’ turn for pay-back–which they accomplished by a 6-5 score. This initiated a run of 12 more consecutive triumphs which featured an astounding total of five shutouts (today, a team might blank an opponent once a decade). The playoffs likewise had a familiar feel with Manhasset knocking off the same opponents as in 1963, albeit by more comfortable scores: 8-3 over Garden City for the North Shore title, 12-6 against Sewanhaka in the county championship and a 9-4 trouncing of Huntington to capture its second consecutive Long Island crown.

At the reunion, midfielder Jerry Gschwind (whose two step-bothers, Joe and Bob, played for Manhasset in the ’40s) recalled an incident against Garden City when he had been assigned to guard the Trojans’ high scorer Bruce Corbridge with the instruction to “break his spirit.” All pumped up, Gschwind charged out and proceeded to poke check the intimidated GC attackman and unintentionally whacked him in the head. By doing so, he popped Corbridge’s chinstrap causing his helmet to fly away and thus drew a whistle for a slash. As he went off the field, for the first time in his life, a coach told him “good job” for drawing a penalty.

Gschwind was named to the 13 man all-county squad along with LaVaute as well as two-thirds of the Indians’ first midfield—Duncan MacIntosh and Walter “Tiger” Jacobi. In addition, defenseman Roy Thorpe and attackman Larry Templeton took home all-scholastic honors.

And 1965 proved to be a season of great successes–and one major disappointment. Probably the two most notable achievements were statistical in nature: establishing a still-standing school record of 33 consecutive victories and giving coach Moran (in what was to be his final year at MHS) an astonishing 4 year mark of 63 victories against a mere 7 defeats (a winning percentage of .900).

A bunch of up and coming schools now were featured opponents (Bethpage, Levittown Division, Glen Cove and in the playoffs, Plainview as well as East Meadow) but the results were pretty much identical to the two previous years. An undefeated regular season was highlighted by victories over Garden City (5-2), Division (9-5) and a pair against powerful Mineola (7-2 and 9-6). Most outstanding was the reversal of 1964’s only loss to Huntington when the Indians knocked off the Blue Devils 9-8 in overtime at home. This victory became even more noteworthy when the Suffolk titlists journeyed south and came home with twin triumphs over Baltimore powers St. Paul’s and Calvert Hall.

A third meeting with Mineola opened the North Shore playoffs and the 12-5 score again validated Manhasset’s superiority. In the regional finals, they met one of the new boys on the block, Plainview, who boasted a 14-3 won-lost record with solid victories over South Shore leader East Meadow, Mineola, Garden City, Division and Hicksville. Almost a half century after that classic encounter, all the Indian players who participated in it proclaimed “the Plainview game” as the most dramatic event of their athletic careers. Here’s why.

It had been an up and down contest but top-seeded Manhasset appeared to be in control with a 9-6 lead heading into the 4th quarter. However, the upstarts refused to fold and unleashed a three-goal explosion as the tying marker came with two minutes remaining in regulation. The momentum carried into overtime (in those days, deadlocked teams played a pair of four minute extra periods with unlimited scoring permitted; if they were still tied at the end of the additional eight minutes, then they went to sudden death). Plainview’s John Prible made it 10-9 in the first extra session followed by teammate Harry Blackney tallying his fifth goal of the game on a nifty dodge. Less than two minutes remained in OT #2.

At last month’s reunion, Indian goalie Mike McMahon recalled the scene as coach Moran took a time-out in the final minute. “It was utterly amazing how confident Richie was–and he actually predicted what would occur. He looked right at Tiger and told him you get the ball to Feely who’ll score. Then win the face-off, look for Kahn and he’ll score again.”

And this is exactly what happened as was verified by Newsday’s June 5, 1965 game story. Trailing 11-9 with only 26 seconds left to play, Jim Feely broke loose to make it 11-10. Tiger Jacobi then won the ensuing face-off, fired a pass to creaseman Jeff Kahn who converted for the tying goal. Six additional seconds had elapsed and the clock read :20.

Not surprisingly, Manhasset completed the comeback only 37 seconds into the sudden death overtime period after Plainview was tagged with a 30 second penalty for being offside. As Moran described it, he called a time-out, set up a play to get Feely the ball and “said a prayer. Catholic, Jewish, Protestant–we covered all the boys on the team.”

Feely took it from there–but later confessed he initially looked to pass. However, no defender picked him up so he decided to try an old-fashioned bounce shot. To his surprise and delight, the ball took a favorable hop and flew over the goalie’s stick for an unlikely Indian victory. It gave the senior attackman a 4 point game (2g, 2a) while Jacobi recorded 5 (4g, 1a) with Tom Nicosia notching a hat trick and Kahn adding a pair. As if this were not magical enough, Feely accomplished his heroics with a borrowed stick since he had left his own in the car he had loaned to a friend who proceeded to have an accident while hurrying back to the game site. With no car and no stick–Jim was forced to turn to his teammates for a loaner. “In those days, we didn’t bring a bunch of sticks to every field appearance so I had to beg a few guys for help. It wasn’t easy.”

Four days later, Manhasset took home its third consecutive Nassau County title with a somewhat anti-climactic 11-5 pasting of East Meadow. For the first time, a championship game MVP was selected and that inaugural honor went to midfielder Tiger Jacobi whose superb all-around play resulted in a goal, an assist, a bunch of ground balls, domination in the face-off circle and made him the one Indian player that the bigger East Meadow laxers could not catch.

The Indians achieved this decisive victory despite falling behind the Jets from the south shore 4-1 in the second quarter. At the midpoint, Manhasset had pulled into a 4-4 tie and then thoroughly dominated second-half action. Feely had another huge game with 5 points (2g, 3a) while Kahn poured home 4 goals and Nicosia chipped in a pair.

 Consequently, at 17-0, it was an extremely confident Indian squad who met Huntington for the third straight year to decide the Long Island champion. Alas, despite its 33-game winning streak, despite defeating Huntington earlier in the season as well as the previous two LI title contests and notwithstanding taking an early 2-0 lead, the Indians could not overcome the Blue Devils’ 8 man-up tallies and were upset 9-6.

The turning point of the contest occurred in the final minute of the first half when the challengers from Suffolk stunned their Nassau counterparts with three quick goals that converted a 2-1 deficit into a 4-2 edge midway through the game. In the second half, Huntington’s superior depth and a rash of Indian penalties combined to give the new champions an 8-3 advantage. Manhasset did stage a comeback but could not narrow the gap to less than three scores. It was a bittersweet ending to a dazzling 3 year run–which was made even more disappointing when coach Moran confirmed rumors that he was leaving Manhasset after four years to become athletic director and coach lacrosse at the school where he taught—Elmont. And after three years in which he put that school on the lacrosse map, Moran moved upstate to take over the Cornell program. Over his three decades in Ithaca, he put together a Hall-of-Fame career highlighted by winning three NCAA championships (including the first NCAA Tournament crown in 1971), three national runners-up and also coaching the US team to a world championship in 1978, Yet, in an ironic coincidence, the ecstasy and disappointment of 1964-65 wound up being repeated at Cornell. In 1976 and 1977, the Big Red captured two NCAA titles and, going into the 1978 final, they had compiled a still-existing Division I winning streak of 42 games. In addition, much like Manhasset had downed Huntington during the 1965 regular season, Cornell had defeated Johns Hopkins earlier in 1978. Unfortunately, history did indeed repeat itself when, just as Huntington pulled off the upset and ended Manhasset’s long winning skien, the Blue Jays upset the Ithacans and crushed Moran’s dream for an unprecedented third consecutive NCAA crown.

As for the program he left behind, it had changed forever. Consider these numbers:

1. In the 30 years prior to Moran’s arrival, Manhasset only led their league twice-during eight game seasons in 1940 and 1943.

2. From 1963 to date, the Indians played in 26 county finals, captured 14 Nassau titles, 11 Long Island crowns, 6 Downstate titles, 3 New York State and one National championship (the 20-0 season in 2004).

One can rightfully conclude that a dynasty had been created by this coach and his players during those championships seasons of 1963, 1964 and 1965. It was then that lacrosse was transformed from just another high school sport to an ongoing, year-round activity which became ingrained in the fabric of the entire community. Lacrosse is the DNA of Manhasset. Teams synonymous with excellence and clean play, with dedication on the field and in the classroom, with consistent hard work and clutch performances became the standard in this small North Shore town.

Thus, it was a group of men with wonderful shared memories who re-convened on Oct. 3, 2009. Generally, they were in fine shape and many had led extremely interesting lives. It wasn’t possible to speak with each returning player but a handful did sit down for extended discussions and here is a sampling of who was there.

Garth Weber–who had starred in football, lacrosse and basketball for the Indians–went on to play the first two sports at Rutgers. He is now an attorney in New Jersey and fondly recalled two great teammates: Steve LaVaute and Jack Heim (one of the handful of Indian graduates to be inducted into the U.S. Lacrosse Hall of Fame in Baltimore and whose 46-year-old Manhasset single season goal scoring record of 81 was tied in 2009 by his modern counterpart, Connor English) each of whom had previous commitments which prevented them from attending that night. But their affection for coach Moran was so great that they had made time (Steve actually coming from California where he is in real estate) just to have dinner with their mentor.

Also present was Joe Capela who looked to be within a pound of his 1963 playing weight. He too lives in New Jersey and is recently retired after 40 years in the auto industry. He served in the army after high school and credits both lacrosse and Moran with literally saving his life. While stationed in Germany, he was diagnosed with cancer and was gravely ill. The former defenseman recalled those dark days, “to be candid, the medical treatment I was receiving overseas was not doing the job so Richie along with Ken Molloy called Congressman Lester Wolff and arranged for me to be moved to Walter Reed Hospital in Washington. The physicians there saved my life and one of them told me if I had not been in such excellent physical condition from lacrosse, I wouldn’t have made it. I owe everything to coach Moran.” Joe also reported that goalie Walter (Buddy) DeHoust lives in Northern Virginia. Along with Heim and LaVaute, De Houst followed his coach’s path when he left Manhasset to play college lacrosse at Maryland. However, Moran’s influence on the young netminder was even more pronounced as DeHoust further emulated the coach and joined the Marines in 1967. He remained there for 26 years as a helicopter pilot, eventually reaching the rank of Colonel.

While in the service, Buddy played a most significant role in one of the major events of the 20th century. The former Manhasset lacrosse goalie was among the eight pilots who flew the helicopters sent to rescue those Americans being held hostage at the U.S. Embassy in Iran. Recently, DeHoust commented that despite the mission’s inability to reach the hostages due to a violent sandstorm, there actually had been a realistic chance for success if the Americans had been a bit luckier. In addition, some very valuable lessons were actually learned. “As a result of what happened, we greatly improved coordination between the service branches and also made huge advances in techniques and equipment for conducting nighttime operations.”

DeHoust echoed a number of teammates when he lauded the contributions made by George McGrane, the freshman lacrosse coach who also was a very popular social studies teacher. A few years later, McGrane (who was fluent in various languages) left Manhasset to join the CIA where he was tragically killed while on assignment in Asia.

All-scholastic defenseman Larry Wechsler came up from Washington where he is an attorney in order to enjoy the reunion. Jerry Gschwind led the class of ’64 contingent as he made the trip from Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He had gone on to play at Lehigh and then worked four decades in I.T., 31 of them at IBM. He has stayed active in the sport as a youth coach and referee. His classmates Greg Egor (a businessman who still lives in town), Tom Grennan (a Washington D.C. lawyer), Al Morrison (in the securities business in Baltimore) and Larry Templeton (an electrical contractor in Vermont) also were at Manhasset Bay that evening. Additionally showing up for the festivities were a pair of valuable reserves from the class of ‘64. Midfielder Tom Dergay is retired from the clothing industry in Wilmington, North Carolina while Mike Wexelbaum is an attorney who lives in Ridgefield, Connecticut.

The class of 1965 provided about half of the attendees which was largely due to the organizational efforts of former Hopkins roommates, John Cardillo and Jim Feely. After spectacular achievements in college (three national championships and three all-American selections), John had returned to Manhasset where he was a very successful bond trader and raised four kids who are also MHS grads. He’s now retired to fabled Port St. Lucie, Florida.

Meanwhile, Feely, a starter at attack and midfield on those great Blue Jay squads, stayed in Maryland where he works for the Bank of America. He remains a superb athlete and very proudly is a nationally ranked tennis player in his age group. Jim is now a huge Cornell fan since his son Max starred on defense as a sophomore for last year’s NCAA runner-up team. He says that he still hasn’t gotten over the Big Red’s last second loss to Syracuse in May’s championship game.

Netminder Mike McMahon went from Manhasset to Brown and then a longtime career on Wall Street which continues today. Despite winning all-North Shore honors, he freely admitted that his 1965 graduation was timely, “As soon as I saw Bob Rule ’67 play a few minutes in goal, I could tell how great he was going to be.” That proved to be a spot-on prediction by McMahon as Rule (who also was at the reunion) would lead Manhasset to an undefeated season and third Long Island title (in 5 years) in 1967 when he was awarded the MVP trophy in the county championship contest. Rule would go on to play for Moran at Cornell where he was named first team All-American on Cornell’s 1971 NCAA Champions. Bob then returned to his alma mater to coach the defense on the lacrosse squad since 1975.

It is probably fair to state that no Manhasset laxer has lived a more compelling life than Tiger Jacobi. Blessed with a combination of great looks, exceptional athletic skills and natural charisma, Tiger admitted that this serendipitous mix always allowed him to swim against the tide. Despite Moran’s emphasis on hard work and discipline, Jacobi concedes he never gave it his all in practice. “I was strictly a game-day player.” Unlike most of his teammates who remained in the east to attend prestigious colleges, the Tiger headed west for a short tenure at Santa Monica City College and a long run as one of the country’s outstanding surfers. He followed that up by moving to Alaska where he ran a successful construction company for a decade and a half. He now lives over the Vermont border in Quebec where he and his family pursue a variety of adventures ranging from skiing to long-distance cycling excursions and strenuous kayaking. He has kept in touch with his teammates, noting the existence of a special and unique camaraderie among and between them.

High scoring Tom Nicosia also returned to Manhasset after leaving to captain the Harvard laxers. Like his dad Arnold, a beloved Manhasset pediatrician, Tom (a cardiologist) practices medicine locally as does his wife, Florence Barricelli. Defenseman Brian Walsh was the third starter on the ’65 squad and made the trip back to Long Island from the Mt. Hermon School in western Massachusetts where he is the Director of Development. Bob Jenkins played at West Point and after retiring from the Army, he is in the printing business in Philly. Also making a long trek was Brian Weiss who traveled from Denver where he works in the software industry.

Additionally, two members of the class of 1966 returned to see their teammates from the 1965 club. Both had played major roles in the success enjoyed by the Indians during their junior year. Doug Honig probably journeyed the longest of anyone as he is a lawyer in Los Angeles. Meanwhile, his hard-working fellow defenseman, Mario Maura, lives the rural life in Woodstock, Vermont running landscaping and wood antiquing businesses.

There also were two special guests who joined the celebration. The late Harry Baugher ’66 was a member of the 1965 club and continued to live in Manhasset to become a major force in youth lacrosse. His widow Kathy was kind enough to be there with his teammates. Brooks Scholl grew up in Manhasset and played the game with all these boys through junior high school. Then, he left for Deerfield Academy before rejoining Richie Moran as a star on the coach’s first three Big Red aggregations from 1968 to 1970. Everyone was delighted that he was able to be there with his old friends.

The sentiments expressed so intensely by Tiger Jacobi were echoed repeatedly by Coach Moran when he addressed “his boys” that night in October. Calling to mind playwright Miller’s words, he told them what an honor and privilege it had been to be their leader, their teacher and their friend. In addition, he noted that those four years with the Indians were such a singular experience since he was still then a young man in his twenties.

Moran also wanted these players to understand that they were indeed the pioneers who were responsible for creating a unique winning tradition which has endured for almost half a century. He concluded his emotional remarks with another literary reference when he called his re-assembled troops “a true band of brothers” who loved each other then–and still loved each other today.

All in all, it had been an unforgettable fall evening on the shore of the Long Island Sound for those fortunate enough to have attended.