(Editors note: This letter was sent to Town Supervisor Jon Kaiman and to the Manhasset Press for publication.)
The Coalition for a Safer Manhasset is making plans for our 5th annual "Community Courtesy Campaign" to be launched on Saturday, May 16. We would like to kick off this week-long campaign with a "Sidewalk Sweep" program all along Plandome Road the morning of May 16 from 10 a.m. to noon.
On May 16, volunteers will sweep the sidewalk and street gutter outside each store along Plandome Road and will then present the storeowner with the broom and dustpan to keep. In return, the store owner will be asked to continue to keep the outside of their store clean on a regular basis. The brooms and dustpans are being donated by a local professional who cares about the appearance of Plandome Road and he plans to add the logo of the Manhasset Chamber of Commerce to them.
The staging area for the volunteers will be in the parking lot of the Manhasset train station. Permission has been granted by Pat Roberts of the Manhasset Park District. Channel 12 News has been alerted about our event.
We have already received expressions of support and enthusiasm from several merchants and local organizations. Those to be invited to participate are: Manhasset Chamber of Commerce, Keep Manhasset Beautiful, the Greater Council of Civic Organizations, American Legion, MHS Green Club, MHS Key Club, MHS Youth Council, Planet Manhasset, Kiwanis, Rotary, all clergy, and Boy and Girl Scout troops. Manhasset is ready to work for a better, cleaner and safer Plandome Road!
Plans would also include inviting all merchants to participate and celebrate this special event. With luck the new flower baskets will be hung along Plandome Road by then, and hopefully the town's sweeping program will also have been completed.
How you can help:
1. We are inviting you as the Supervisor of the Town of North Hempstead to be a major sponsor (in name only) and supporter of this May 16 event.
2. We need your leadership and guidance in making the cleaning of sidewalks and street gutters a priority along Plandome Road.
3. We would appreciate it if you could ensure that the streets really have been swept prior to May 16. We know this is already scheduled.
4. We believe more trash cans should be added along Plandome Road on a permanent basis. We would appreciate it if you could please arrange to have this done.
5. What is the current provision made by the town for cleaning the sidewalk and street gutters outside any empty stores?
6. We request your permission to display two "CCC Banners" at Mary Jane Davies Park at Manhasset Avenue and Memorial Place.
I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible with a positive response.
This is an energetic plan but with effort from all interested groups in our community and with your support, we know we can achieve our goals.
After this kick-off on Saturday, May 16, the fifth annual "Community Courtesy Campaign" will continue in the usual fashion. The community will be asked to be extra-courteous as they go about their daily lives, especially while driving.
Katie Miller, co-chair
Coalition for a Safer Manhaset