Anton Community Newspapers  •  132 East 2nd Street  •  Mineola, NY 11501  •  Phone: 516-747-8282  •  FAX: 516-742-5867
Intended comprare kamagra senza ricetta company.
Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

From the desk of Dr. Charles Murphy: February 2, 2012

There are many ways for parents to help their children be successful in school. From the start, I recommend that parents show their children they are interested in their child’s school and schoolwork. Typically, children are pleasers and look for their parent’s approval. Therefore, it is crucial for children to know that school and academic performance are important to their parents. If you place a great emphasis on school and your child’s work, then in turn, children will take this responsibility serious.

To begin, simple things parents should know and surprisingly some do not. Do you know your child’s teacher? In elementary school, most parents deal with only one classroom teacher and these parents should cultivate a strong working relationship and make sure their child is aware of it. For example, let your child know that you communicate with the teacher regularly; let your child know that you speak with their teacher about academic progress; and, talk to your child about their day and make sure you ask about their teacher.

Although it may be more difficult for middle and high school parents, it is important to be familiar with all of their child’s teachers as well. After all, the grades and academic performance become more meaningful at this level as we work together toward that all important college goal.

Principal. Do you know the name of the school’s principal? Would you recognize your child’s principal in public? A principal can be an important advocate for your child and help guide them toward success. In fact, knowing that you have a positive working relationship with the principal makes a lasting impression on children. If you have any questions about how your child is doing in school or what you can do to help facilitate success, please contact your child’s teacher or the building principal.