Anton Community Newspapers  •  132 East 2nd Street  •  Mineola, NY 11501  •  Phone: 516-747-8282  •  FAX: 516-742-5867
Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Old Church Gets New Look

Finally, after months of meetings and planning, the work that had to be done to restore one of Wantagh/Levittown’s remaining landmarks is complete. The little chapel in the photo that stands on the grounds of the St. John of Jerusalem Cemetery on Wantagh Avenue looks like new.

The small, sturdy, wood-sided former German Methodist-Episcopal Mission, circa 1865, has a new coat of paint. The steeple has been repaired and the roof has new shingles. The glass windows have been replaced and painted.

According to the committee, the next step is to restore the interior and allow civil wedding and church services to be held.