Thursday, 05 December 2013 00:00
For years, Ray and Beth Engels’ holiday decorations have amazed those who pass by their home earning them Levittown Community Council’s Home for the Holidays contest win in 2000 and again in 2009. This year, the Engel family has decided to create an event on the night they throw the switch to light up the spectacular display and they’ve invited the community to attend. Optional toys and cash donations will benefit American Cancer Society and children in need. To be part of this event, join the community at 7 Coachman Lane on Friday, Dec. 20 at 6 p.m. Coffee and hot chocolate will be provided by Starbucks in Levittown.
• Homemakers Club Levittown Day Chapter meeting from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays at the VFW Hall Post #9592, Hickory Lane, Levittown. Call 516-579-4420.
• Family Support Group, an ongoing support group for those who have family members or other loved ones with mental illness. Meets on Mondays from 7 to 8 p.m. at Central Nassau Guidance & Counseling Services, 950 South Oyster Bay Rd. The fee is $5 per family. In addition to verbal support, the group presents guest lecturers, workshops, education programs and holds social events. For information call 516-822-6111.
• Overeaters Anonymous meeting every Tuesday at 8 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church, 474 Wantagh Ave., Levittown. Do you have a problem with food? We are a 12-step group for those who eat compulsively. Call 516-794-1333.
• Overeaters Anonymous. Are you a compulsive overeater? Under eater? Overeaters Anonymous can help. There is a meeting on Tuesdays on the corner of Salisbury Park Dr. and Carmans Rd., East Meadow, across from the firehouse from 7:45 to 9:15 p.m. Call for directions 516-997-4534. For information about the meeting call Nancy 798-2547 (between 7 and 9 p.m.) or Ed 516-845-5423.
• Women’s HIV/AIDS Counseling Services offering free support service, individual counseling, couples/family counseling, services for children. If you are a woman with HIV or AIDS and you need a place to talk or just to listen, we’re here to help. The support group meets every Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the “B” Building, Room 347 (inside the Child Development Center), Nassau University Medical Center, 2201 Hempstead Tpke., East Meadow. Individual counseling is also available by appointment. Call Dr. Suzanne Lachmann or Dr. Laura Cini at 516-572-5932.
• Calling All Seniors. Why be bored at home? Come for fun, trips and to meet new friends. Qualifications: resident of Hicksville, Plainview or Levittown. Meetings every Thursday from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Bethpage Senior Center, 103 Grumman Rd. West, Bethpage. Call Andrew Grieshaber 516-349-7801.
• Cub Scout Round Up. Parents of boys in first - fifth grades who are interested in joining the Cub Scouts at Temple B’nai Torah, Wantagh, should contact Jeff Cohen at 516-205-1589. The Cub Scouts are sponsored by the Brotherhood of Temple B’nai Torah. Meetings are on Thursdays in the Youth Lounge from 6:15 to 7:15 p.m. For more information about the Cub Scout Pack go to our website at www.troop189ny.com.
• Levittown Lions Club meets on the second Monday of the month at 7 p.m. at Domenico’s Restaurant. Call Tom Di Iorio at 516-242-2273 for information.
• Korean War Veterans of NC Chapter #1 monthly meeting on the third Monday of every month (except July and August) at American Legion Post #1711, 3123 N. Jerusalem Rd., Levittown. Call 516-334-1025. KWVA is seeking all who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and UN Command during the Korean War between Sept. 3, 1945 to Jan. 31, 1955 or Feb. 1, 1955 to the present. You did not have to have served in Korea to be a member.
• Levittown Historical Society. If you are interested in helping collect memorabilia, photographs, appliances and furnishings from the early days of Levittown, come down for an interesting evening. All welcome. No admission charge. Free refreshments. Brief business meeting. 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Levittown Library. Meetings are held on the third Monday of the month (except July, Aug., Jan., Feb.). For more information call 516-735-9060 or go to www.levittownhistoricalsociety.org.
• Levittown Community Council. Levittown and Island Trees organizations and residents are invited to monthly meetings of the Levittown Community Council held at 7:30 p.m. at Levittown Public Library on the fourth Monday except in July and August. Informational programs relevant to the community are presented and refreshments are served. Meetings are open to the general public. Membership in the council is for residents and organizations in the areas comprised by the Levittown and Island Trees school districts.
• Faith On Tap. The object of “Faith on Tap” is to address concerns of people in their 20s and 30s on issues of faith and morals, which have an impact on the lives of individuals, families, local communities and society at large. 7 to 9 p.m. on the last Monday of the month at the Wantagh Inn, across the street from the Wantagh railroad station. Admission is free. Call 516-378-0665. Not held in December, May, June, July or August.