1950. Levitt & Sons opened up a glass-enclosed sales office on the 23rd. Across the street from the Hempstead Turnpike/Division Avenue intersection, the facility also featured two 1950 fully-furnished Ranch model houses courtesy of Macy's Department Stores. Thousands of future residents visited this office and got their first peek of Levittown life.
1950. Division Avenue High School opened on the 5th to accommodate the rapidly growing number of Baby Boom students whose families had recently moved into the new Levitt & Sons Development.
Want to learn more about Levittown history? Since 1988 the Levittown Historical Society has been dedicated to preserving the legacy of William J. Levitt, the world-famous suburban town he and his family founded for homecoming GI's (and its "sister cities" throughout the globe), and the rural communities of Island Trees and Jerusalem that preceded it. To this end, the Society maintains a museum at the Levittown Memorial Education Center, manages educational programs under the auspices of the Levittown School District, and participates in various community events. For more information call 735-9060.