Thursday, 12 December 2013 00:00
Levittown Schools Winter Concert - December 12
Astrological Forecast - December 13
Third Annual Division Avenue PTSA Book Fair - December 14
On Dec. 12, Salk Middle School will hold its will hold its Winter Concert from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
The Division Avenue High School will also hold their Winter Concert on Dec. 12, at 7:30 p.m.
On Dec. 13, come down to Levittown Hall for a lecture on Astrology and learn what it is all about.
Come on down and view Long Island’s largest operating O-Gauge layout. The event will be held at 2953 Hempstead Tpke., in Levittown, from 1 - 4 p.m., on Friday Dec. 13, Saturday Dec. 14, and Sunday Dec. 15.
Join members of the Division Avenue High School PTSA, for their Book Fair Kick Off on Dec. 14, from noon to 2 p.m. at the Barnes & Noble, located at 91 Old Country Rd. in Carle Place.
The event will feature a performance from the talented chamber orchestra and choir, beautiful student art work displayed throughout store, a reading from athletes with the Division Avenue High School football team and much more.
A portion of all sales will help support the PTSA. Anyone interested in participating must remember to tell the cashier they are supporting Division Avenue. Can’t make our kick off, shop at any Barnes & Noble from Dec. 14 thru Dec. 21 and tell cashier you are with Division Ave HS.
On Dec. 14, the Island Trees Memorial Middle School is hosting a breakfast with Santa Claus. The event includes a raffle, arts and crafts, face painting, hot and cold beverages, baked goods and, of course, bagels. Breakfast with Santa starts at 9 a.m. inside the Island Trees Memorial Middle School cafeteria. Admission is $8 per ticket. Children under age 3 are free.
On Dec. 15, Domenico’s, located at 3270A Hempstead Tpke. in Levittown will be throwing a Christmas celebration for the entire family. The celebration will be from 1 to 5 p.m. and will feature a magic show from Rich the Magish as well as a special appearance by Santa Claus and his helpers. Santa will also be bringing goodie bags that will be available for children, and of course, he will be more than happy to take photos. The event will also feature a full buffet, dessert, soda, coffee or tea and a gluten-free menu. The cost is $28.95 per adult and $18.95 per child between 3 to 11 years old.
On Dec. 16, come and enjoy the Division Avenue High School’s second winter concert. The event starts at 7:30 p.m.
On Dec. 17, Wisdom Lane Middle School will hold its first winter concert at 7:00 p.m.
On Dec. 17, MacArthur High School will hold its first winter concert at 7:30 p.m.
The Levittown Chamber of Commerce will hold its monthly meeting on Dec. 18, at Domenico’s Restaurant, located at 3207A Hempstead Tpke., from 12:30 p.m. through lunch.
Levittown public schools close for winter holidays until Friday, Jan. 3.
• Homemakers Club Levittown Day Chapter meeting from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays at the VFW Hall Post #9592, Hickory Lane, Levittown. Call 516-579-4420.
• Family Support Group, an ongoing support group for those who have family members or other loved ones with mental illness. Meets on Mondays from 7 to 8 p.m. at Central Nassau Guidance & Counseling Services, 950 South Oyster Bay Rd. The fee is $5 per family. In addition to verbal support, the group presents guest lecturers, workshops, education programs and holds social events. For information call 516-822-6111.
• Overeaters Anonymous meeting every Tuesday at 8 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church, 474 Wantagh Ave., Levittown. Do you have a problem with food? We are a 12-step group for those who eat compulsively. Call 516-794-1333.
• Overeaters Anonymous. Are you a compulsive overeater? Under eater? Overeaters Anonymous can help. There is a meeting on Tuesdays on the corner of Salisbury Park Dr. and Carmans Rd., East Meadow, across from the firehouse from 7:45 to 9:15 p.m. Call for directions 516-997-4534. For information about the meeting call Nancy 798-2547 (between 7 and 9 p.m.) or Ed 516-845-5423.
• Women’s HIV/AIDS Counseling Services offering free support service, individual counseling, couples/family counseling, services for children. If you are a woman with HIV or AIDS and you need a place to talk or just to listen, we’re here to help. The support group meets every Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the “B” Building, Room 347 (inside the Child Development Center), Nassau University Medical Center, 2201 Hempstead Tpke., East Meadow. Individual counseling is also available by appointment. Call Dr. Suzanne Lachmann or Dr. Laura Cini at 516-572-5932.
Wednesday, 12 March 2014 00:00
On March 7, members of the Division Avenue High School PTSA held their fourteenth annual Sweeps and Chinese Auction fundraiser. According to First Vice President of Division Avenue High School PTSA Laura Brown, there were about 150 Chinese auction baskets and 30 bingo prizes that were given out during this year’s event.
The PTSA has been organizing this event for the past 14 years, but it only started to get bigger in the last three years. It is now the largest event that the PTSA has to organize every year. “It wouldn’t be possible without the cooperation of the custodial staff, and all the PTSA members,” said Brown. “We reserve tables now because there’s probably 400 people in there.”
Saturday, 08 March 2014 00:00
Jessy Davidson, a student at MacArthur High School in Levittown, organized and held a blood drive at the John Theissen Children’s Foundation on Wantagh Ave. this past weekend.
Davidson, a junior, hopes to earn a small college scholarship through the New York Blood Center Bloodstock Scholarship Program by hosting this blood drive. If at least 30 donors come through, she will qualify for the scholarship.
Anyone who is in high school is able to participate in this scholarship, according to Davidson.
Thursday, 06 March 2014 00:00
The Island Trees track program is pleased to announce that four members of the team will be participating in the New York State tournament. Students honored include:
Alexa Dolgos with a personal best of 1.37 in the 600 meter run; Alyssa Mustafa with a personal best of 17 feet, 3.5 inches in the long jump and a personal best of 36 minutes 1.3 seconds in the triple jump competition; Andrew Zabala with a personal best of 43 feet 5 inches in the triple jump; and Joe Stanco with 47 minutes 10.5 seconds in the shot put.
— Submitted by Varsity Track Coach Joseph Manna
Thursday, 06 March 2014 00:00
The Island Trees Bulldogs Wrestling team finished the 2013-2014 season with an overall record of 18-8. The team defeated Syosset in the Dual Meet Championship playoffs 34-27, and then lost to Plainedge in the second round 48-29. The team had a strong season and was ranked no. 8 in Nassau County. The Bulldogs entered 22 wrestlers in the Nassau County Qualifying Tournament, out of which, eleven of the team’s All-League grapplers qualified for the coveted Nassau County Wrestling Tournament. Six wrestlers also received All-Conference honors, with one wrestler earning a wildcard into the tournament, for a total of 12 Island Trees wrestlers competing.