Friday, 02 April 2010 00:00
The Notre Dame “Flying Fish” captured the Class B Championship on Thursday, March 25 at the Eisenhower Aquatic Center. After finishing the regular season with a record of 5-2 (2 losses versus St. Rose), Notre Dame had something to prove in the water.
With a full team in place, Notre Dame accumulated the most points in the three disciplines: individual races, medleys and relays. Notre Dame, with 1,186 points, won the meet by a significant margin, beating rivals St. Rose (1,120 points), St. Raymonds (1,116 points), Holy Family (998 points), OL Lourdes (988 points) and St. Bernards (866 points).
The Notre Dame team broke the following 5 records at the meet:
- 10 yr old girls 100 yd freestyle relay— Cassie Scandalios, Monica Mattei, Sheila Krische and Samantha Merino
- 10-year-old girls 25 yd freestyle - Samantha Merino
- 17 years & under girls 50 yd butterfly - Jessica Merino
- 17 years & under boys 50 yd butterfly - Kevin Seger
- 17 years & under boys 50 yd backstroke - Stephen Wheeler
This Championship, which involved the coaching and coordination of 120 Notre Dame swimmers, could not have been accomplished without the help and the spirit of the following people: Adult coaches - J. Silva, K. Seger, P. Krische, M. Loftus, S. Mattei, S. Wheeler, J. Wheeler; Junior Coaches - K. Seger, A. Morrissey & A. Ngai; Coordinators - B. Birkdale, S. DeMeo, V. Greblunas, T. Krische, C. Mauro, E. Merino, C. Robayo & P. Rossello; Timers - R. Husch, K. Morriessey and P. Waibel; Scorers - S. Ng & C. Scandalios; Cameraman - A. Rossello.