Friday, 29 January 2010 00:00
Picnic reservations for the coming season may be made at Nassau County parks beginning Monday, Feb. 1. In the Town of Oyster Bay, reservations for picnics began on Wednesday, Jan. 20. Reservations are now being taken on a first-come, first-served for any park with a picnic area, said a town spokesperson. “The Town of Oyster Bay has 156 parks and many of those have picnic areas. For reservations, please call the TOB Parks Department located in Hicksville at 797-4184, daily. There are some openings at all the parks. All the weekends at Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Park in Oyster Bay are taken.”
The spokesperson said some people send requests in writing and added, the sooner the requests get in the better, the reservations go fast.
Reservations can be made for the following Nassau County parks:
• Bay Park in East Rockaway; reservations taken at Grant Park (571-7821).
• Cantiague Park in Hicksville (571-7056).
• Cedar Creek Park in Seaford (571-7470).
• Christopher Morley Park in Roslyn-North Hills (571-8113).
• Cow Meadow Park in Freeport (571-8685); during winter, reservations taken at Rev. Arthur Mackey Sr. Park.
• Eisenhower Park in East Meadow; Special Activities Bldg., Parking Field No. 8 (572-0348).
• Grant Park in Hewlett (571-7821).
• Inwood Park (571-7894); reservations taken at North Woodmere Park.
• Rev. Arthur Mackey Sr. Park in Roosevelt (571-8692).
• Nickerson Beach Park in Lido Beach (571-7700).
• North Woodmere Park (571-7801).
• Wantagh Park (571-7460).
Reservations must be made in person at park locations, and a valid Leisure Pass and appropriate payment (fees depend upon group size) must be presented to obtain a confirmed reservation. Payment can be made by cash, check (made out to “Treasurer of Nassau County”) or credit card (at some locations). “Rain-or-shine” shelter areas are available at Cedar Creek Park, Rev. Arthur Mackey Sr. Park, Nickerson Beach Park and Wantagh Park.
County regulations require that 75 percent of all picnic participants be Nassau County residents. A special permit is required for the use of alcoholic beverages, and this permit must be purchased at least one week in advance of any reserved or unreserved picnic. To make catering arrangements, patrons must contact the park concessionaire, Dover Caterers, at 516-933-4444, ext. 12 or 16. Picnic reservations must be secured from the individual park before catering can be arranged.