On August 10, the MTA released a Draft 2010-2014 Capital Program document and a 20-year Capital Needs Assessment document for public review and comment. It seems that the LIRR Main Line Corridor Improvements Project has morphed into something called the LIRR Strategic Corridor Improvement Program. The LIRR Strategic Corridor Improvements Program redefines the main line as being between Jamaica station in Queens County and the Ronkonkoma station in Suffolk County.
President Obama and Senator Schumer got where they are today after winning hard-fought, wildly-expensive Democratic primary contests.
Some of our most prominent local roads have surviving sections from previous eras. With a little imagination, we can have a few tiny glimpses of what the Herricks area was like in an earlier time.
Old Powerhouse road at the northern edge of the district is part of the original Powerhouse Road, first built to connect Herricks (now North Hills) with Old Westbury in 1872 and extended southwest to meet I.U. Willets Road just west of New Hyde Park Road in 1920. In the 1930s, all but a small portion of Powerhouse Road west of Mineola-Willis Avenue was rerouted to the south (today this is the path of the Long Island Expressway). Several of the homes on Old Powerhouse Road date to the 1920s.
About 1843, Charles and Ann Herrick, and their five children, moved onto a farm neighboring Isaac U. Willets’ property on the west side of what is now Shelter Rock Road, just north of Old Courthouse Road. It was near the heart of the land owned by William Herrick two centuries before. The somewhat mysterious William, who died at Maspeth, Queens in the 1650s, left no children, while his brother, James Herrick of Southampton, had hundreds of descendants. Charles Herrick was not a descendent of James, and was not from the Suffolk County Herrick clan. He was from the extensive Herrick family of Maine (his close relatives included two Maine Congressmen), and came to Long Island by way of Minnesota.
On July 17, 2007, two years ago, the New Hyde Park Activity League was devastated with a flood. The force of the water lifted the cement gym floor 14 inches high.
The Town of North Hempstead has seen the damage caused by releasing the water from the sumps. They were sympathetic with our dilemma.
At the time, they stated they would like to help with finance and construction needs but nothing has come forward.
Programs have been cancelled and moved to other locations. Most were cancelled. Our program for “special needs” was moved to a smaller location which was a problem for parents who need this program. We need to renovate this building and to bring the programs back.
Building Commissioner of PAL
Mary Jo Connery fell in love with a young man while attending Massapequa High School in the 1970s. She married him in 1977. More than two decades later, they divorced.
The county and town population had increased two and a half times over during the 1920s, and one of the critical needs of new and expanded communities was how to deal with sewage and garbage. In 1929, the North Hempstead Town Board appointed a special commission to investigate how to deal with the growing amounts of refuse that was overflowing local dump sites and causing concerns about health and pollution. That fall, the commission recommended that most of the garbage generated within the town be collected and burned in one central location: At Searingtown, where Manhasset Avenue (later Searingtown Road) met San Juan Avenue.
Thank you to the The Nassau POPS with Conductor Lou Panacciulli, who performed here for our residents this past week. Sponsored by the Village of Williston Park, this annual tradition brings our neighbors out to enjoy wonderful music. Thanks to our WPFD, DPW, NCPD, Cross Street School and the Mineola School District for their involvement and cooperation.
Most of Long Island’s public libraries serve the residents of specific school districts, incorporated villages or cities. Herricks and some of the surrounding communities fell through the cracks, and it took a well-organized community campaign dedicated to learning and culture to create Shelter Rock Public Library.
This month, Nassau County, in cooperation with the Lustgarten Foundation, is hosting a ceremony and building illumination for Pancreatic Cancer Research. Over 37,000 people are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer each year –which is why our goal is to raise awareness in order to prevent and fight this disease. According to the National Cancer Institute, the overall 5-year relative survival rate for 1999-2005 was 5.5 percent. We must work together to thwart pancreatic cancer.
Page 47 of 49<< Start < Prev 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 Next > End >>