Written by Margaret Whitely Friday, 27 May 2011 00:00
Last week the Garden City Park Fire Department Rescue Squad was called to the Michael J. Tully Pool Complex on Evergreen Avenue, New Hyde Park, to assist three workers at Tully Pool who were overcome by what was thought to be toxic fumes.
The three workers, who exited the building on their own power, were removed to an area hospital by the Garden City Park EMS Ambulance for further evaluation.
Garden City Park Fire Department was joined by the Nassau County Hazemat team, Nassau County Fire Marshals, the Nassau County Police-Emergency Services and the Hazardous Material Team. Also on the scene was the New Hyde Park Fire Department and the Mineola Fire Department.
According to Garden City Park Fire Chief William Rudnick, “All units stayed at the scene for six or seven hours and left only when the building was declared safe enough to be turned over to the Town of North Hempstead.”
The following is the official statement from the town regarding the incident:
“Three town workers were exposed to chlorine fumes when one of the employees opened a chlorine pod that was situated under a containment closet which had taken in water from a drainage pipe.
“The subject pipe, which was part of the original building, was located in an area that was not part of the new construction, but rather in a lower level maintenance area that is not open to the public.
“The pool contractor was brought in to assess and repair the situation and the problem was addressed within a few hours.
“The three employees are apparently in good condition and awaiting release from Winthrop hospital pending hospital protocols on such issues. The Tully pool complex will open on schedule in time for the weekend.”