Written by Dave Gil de Rubio Tuesday, 06 November 2012 09:45
After 40 years of calling Nassau Coliseum home and winning four straight Stanley Cups in the early ’80s, the New York Islanders are pulling up stakes and heading west to Brooklyn and the team’s new home at the Barclays Center. Owner Charles Wang, who has reportedly lost tens of millions of dollars over the years while trying to keep the team afloat, finally tired of the jousting he’d been doing with Nassau County and the Town of Hempstead in an attempt to renovate the aging barn the Isles called home. Longtime fans may feel betrayed to the point of throwing their allegiance behind another team, but at the end of the day, Long Island’s only professional sports franchise didn’t end up lacing their skates up at locations they were rumored to move to including Quebec and Kansas City. And truthfully, given the sad state of negotiations between owner and the players union during this ongoing NHL lockout, the bigger concern might be whether the Islanders will even have a league to play in.
– Dave Gil de Rubio
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Saturday, 22 November 2014 00:00
Online food market OurHarvest has recently joined forces with Mineola-based Island Harvest Food Bank, Long Island’s largest hunger relief organization, to help feed hungry Long Islanders over Thanksgiving and throughout the holiday season.
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Friday, 21 November 2014 00:00
In the year it’s been open, the Space at Westbury has been host to musicians, comedians, dancers and last week, the venue opend its doors for world class boxers and their loyal fans. One of the headliners was Richie “Brazil” Neves, from New Hyde Park.
Winner Takes All Productions and Greg Cohen Promotions brought a night of boxing to the Space on Thursday, Nov. 13. While boxing events have come to Long Island before, this was the first of its kind to come to The Space.
Thursday, 20 November 2014 00:00
Despite a disappointing playoff loss against the Wantagh Warriors, Sewanhaka Indians Head Coach George Kasimatis, is pleased with his football team’s season.
“I’m proud of my team,” he said. “But you are never satisfied unless you win the whole thing.”
The Indians faced a big challenge this year, moving up into Conference II left them as the new kids on the block, unfamiliar with the teams they would be going against.
Kasimatis will have a tall task next year replacing graduating seniors, which made up most of his starting lineup. Kasimatis said most of the offensive line, such as Danny Gianotti, Adrian Gonzalez and Louis Segarra III, and the defensive line, such as Justin Alexandre, Peter LaTorre and Peter Militano are seniors, many of which have started multiple years for him.
Thursday, 13 November 2014 00:00
The fifth seeded Sewanhaka Indians traveled to Wantagh to take on the fourth seeded Wantagh Warriors on Friday, Nov. 7 for its opening playoff game.
The Indians opened the game sluggish on offense, and were held in check throughout the first quarter. The Indians defense did its best to keep the team within striking distance, but field position form shaky special teams play, put them in a difficult position.
Warriors running back Dylan Beckwith, was able to punch in a 15-yard touchdown run, to give the Warriors a one score lead after the first quarter.