Written by Rich Forestano, firstname.lastname@example.org Wednesday, 27 August 2014 08:35
A fatal car accident on Tuesday, Aug. 19 that claimed the life of a 55-year-old man on Covert Avenue in New Hyde Park could fast-track a $250,000 Nassau County project announced last month to install traffic calming features along the road. The project would run north from Jericho Turnpike in New Hyde Park, south to Hempstead Turnpike in Elmont.
“The project is already ongoing and will continue to progress,” said Nassau County Department of Public Works rep Michael Martino.
Pierre Antoine, driving a 2012 Ford Fusion with is 38-year-old wife and 6-year-old daughter southbound on Covert Avenue in New Hyde Park last week, was struck by a 17-year-old driving a 2003 Toyota Camry traveling westbound on Second Avenue at 11:30 p.m. last Tuesday, Nassau County police said. Antoine’s wife was found unconscious after the accident, while the daughter suffered a fractured leg, authorities said.
According to police, the driver of the other car, Deepak Kumar, 17, of New Hyde Park, was arrested at the scene and charged with second degree vehicular manslaughter and driving while ability impaired by drugs. There were four other passengers in his car at the time of the accident. Both vehicles were impounded for safety checks.
The wife and daughter and Kumar were transported to a local hospital, their conditions are unknown as of press time.
Covert Avenue has been much debated over the last few years with numerous traffic incidents preceding Nassau County’s proposed plan. The project’s estimated start date is 2015.
The presentation in July was to provide conceptual solutions and get feedback, according to Martino. Since then, the county met with other elected officials to review the plans and garner feedback. Nassau County began engineering and surveyed the area so they can determine solutions and then will produce the engineering plans necessary for implementation and construction, Martino said.
“The concept is to install stop signs on Covert Avenue at both approaches to the train track,” Martino said. “We are evaluating the feedback we received.”
The county wants to place flashing speed indicators in the vicinity of Covert Avenue at 6th Avenue in New Hyde Park, construct sidewalk bulb-outs and lane configuration signs to alert drivers of road changes. “No Turn On Red” and “Stop Ahead” and additional stop signs are also being considered, particularly near the New Hyde Park train station tracks.
“The key recommendation is for the installation of [sidewalk bulb-outs],” said Martino. “Nassau County is surveying the area now to determine if this conceptual solution is feasible and can be engineered and implemented.”
The plan also calls for wide center medians, with side-shoulder striping to “create a channel” for cars to drive through.
“Anything would help, even if it makes noise like rubber strips along the road,” New Hyde Park resident Tom Madera, of 7th Avenue said recently. “I can assure that it doesn’t make as much noise as a screeching Cadillac which has decided to reorganize the front of your house. That happened two years ago.”
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Saturday, 22 November 2014 00:00
Online food market OurHarvest has recently joined forces with Mineola-based Island Harvest Food Bank, Long Island’s largest hunger relief organization, to help feed hungry Long Islanders over Thanksgiving and throughout the holiday season.
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Friday, 21 November 2014 00:00
In the year it’s been open, the Space at Westbury has been host to musicians, comedians, dancers and last week, the venue opend its doors for world class boxers and their loyal fans. One of the headliners was Richie “Brazil” Neves, from New Hyde Park.
Winner Takes All Productions and Greg Cohen Promotions brought a night of boxing to the Space on Thursday, Nov. 13. While boxing events have come to Long Island before, this was the first of its kind to come to The Space.
Thursday, 20 November 2014 00:00
Despite a disappointing playoff loss against the Wantagh Warriors, Sewanhaka Indians Head Coach George Kasimatis, is pleased with his football team’s season.
“I’m proud of my team,” he said. “But you are never satisfied unless you win the whole thing.”
The Indians faced a big challenge this year, moving up into Conference II left them as the new kids on the block, unfamiliar with the teams they would be going against.
Kasimatis will have a tall task next year replacing graduating seniors, which made up most of his starting lineup. Kasimatis said most of the offensive line, such as Danny Gianotti, Adrian Gonzalez and Louis Segarra III, and the defensive line, such as Justin Alexandre, Peter LaTorre and Peter Militano are seniors, many of which have started multiple years for him.
Thursday, 13 November 2014 00:00
The fifth seeded Sewanhaka Indians traveled to Wantagh to take on the fourth seeded Wantagh Warriors on Friday, Nov. 7 for its opening playoff game.
The Indians opened the game sluggish on offense, and were held in check throughout the first quarter. The Indians defense did its best to keep the team within striking distance, but field position form shaky special teams play, put them in a difficult position.
Warriors running back Dylan Beckwith, was able to punch in a 15-yard touchdown run, to give the Warriors a one score lead after the first quarter.